• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac concentro S503 bookshelf

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
View attachment 243749Hi!

This are my first post. I have been a lurker for quite sometime and I felt that I wanted to share my experience with these loudspeakers since they measure so poorly in every review that I have seen.

I was able to borrow these from a hifi store for a week to try these at home.

I used a Umik-1 and REW to make these measurements. They are measured in room, about 3,5 m on axis.

The cyan line is with subs, the purple without subs and the brown is without subs but still with the 80hz crossover.

The over all experience with these are quite good actually. I feel that they would need a little lift in the lower tremble tough to balance it out sound wise. They sounded quite dark with a bit of sparkle up in the higher tremble region.

They are definitely not made to be sitting to close to, since they measure more poorly the closer you get.

I hope this helps to sparkle more discussion:)

Kind regards
Welcome to ASR! Thanks for sharing your experience with the speakers even though this thread mustn't have been the easiest to jump in to.

The 6k on-axis dip seems to fill in quite a bit once off-axis. This shows up in your in-room measurements and also in the Hi-Fi Voice test.

I'm sure they sound much better in-room than the on-axis measurements would lead to believe. Have you tried experimenting with EQ if filling in some of the 5-7000Hz area would make an improvement?

Frewat

Thanks!

I have tried with a little eq to try to make the frequency response a little more flat. I use a Pioneer LX901 as a pre amp so it's quite crude with its mcacc EQ...

I agree that the frequency curve should be flatter for this price point but they still sounds pretty great.

I have a Concentro Center S501 at home right now. I was also curious how that measures and sounds.

I can post some measurements of that aswell if it's of interest.

Reactions: YSC

Frewat

CC S501 MLP 3,5m.jpg
Now I have measured the Elac Concentro Center and here are the measurements.

First is the frequency response in the main listening position at 3,5m.
CC S501 1m, 2m, 2,5m.jpg

Here is measurements of it at 1m, 2m and 2,5m.
When I contacted Elac and asked for the recommended listening distance, they recommended a minimum of 2,5m and the use of the spread step X ring. You get 3 different Step X rings with it and they are made for the end user to adjust the speaker after the room and listening distance.

That's why I also measured at 2,5m because that's the minimum distance that the manufacturer recommends.

One is the "spread" ring, the second is the "normal" ring and the last is the "direct" ring. The normal is for about a 3 - 4m seating distance and a average decorated room.

And the direct is if you have a further listening distance.
CC S501 Dist 85dB 3,5m.jpg

Here is a distortion measurement. It's measured from a distance of 3,5m, so take that in mind when you look at the graph.

Hope you'll find these measurements helpful.

Kind regards.

Top Bottom