• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Carina BS243.4 Review (Bookshelf Speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 72 27.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 156 60.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 18 7.0%

• Total voters

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
I own them. Paid $999 pair at Crutchfield AND they came with free matching stands which MSRP for $500. First off the stands are 23” which is a bit low for these small speakers. Like Amir says they sound best sitting at or below tweeter height. Also, $500 for these stands is a complete ripoff, but I have pets and kids, so being able to screw them down was important. But as I said they were free, so I guess I can’t complain much about the stands. You can see from the measurements they have very good bass response for their size and are very neutral. That said I use them with an SVS 1000 pro crossed at 55HZ. I can also confirm Amir’s review that they do like a bit of power and are inefficient. They would not be my first choice in a large room. But in my small 2nd living room (12’ x 20’) they are plenty loud and then some for my taste. I also think it’s a bit unfair to compare them to Genelecs in terms of value and could certainly argue they are better in that regard. But if money is no object then yes there are other options I may have chosen.
Compare to Revel M16.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Compare to Revel M16.
The Revels are discounted to $700/pair now. At the time I bought my budget for my second system was $1000 all in. So with stands they were a tiny bit more than budget. At their current price… nice. I also considered Elac dbr62 (girlfriend hated vinyl wrap). I was able to directly compare the kef 50 meta in my room which a friend owns. I liked the Elacs more, he liked his kef. And so it goes.

Basjebas

Great little speakers!
-899€ in Germany incl. 19% tax.
-1069€ in the Netherlands incl. 21% tax.
You can order it in Germany and have it delivered all over Europe for 20€.

Streamc

These are very small speakers not mentioned in the review. They almost make it without a sub which I thought was a nice advantage vs the Kef 50. But a sub without a doubt helps.
How can speake cover all frequencies without subwoofer?

DualTriode

"It attempted to produce sub-bass but what came out was clearly distorted."

??

FeddyLost

Decent implementation of basically .. disputable design. AMT with hard cone in passive 2-way is an expensive pain.
But with notched out woofer resonance it would be little better.
For sure, Elac couldn't use HF dome in waveguide due to their marketing reasons, so the result if what we see here. Must be a lesser evil than other solutions.

hyfynut

Usually active/powered speakers are listed/sold as singles. Passives are almost always sold as a set, at least as far as I can tell.
Perhaps usually, but is this the case with these? I see jbl and other powered speakers advertised as pairs all the time.

Attachments

• Screenshot (56).png
    Screenshot (56).png
    286.1 KB · Views: 75

DMill

Perhaps usually, but is this the case with these? I see jbl and other powered speakers advertised as pairs all the time.
In the case of the ELACs the pair of speakers came in one box. Not sure you can buy them as single speakers but I’m guessing if you contacted ELAC or a distributor they would sell them individually. Money talks

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My take on the product/review (not read other comments - saying this in case someone thinks I'm replying to someone above).......my take is that I'm surprised to see quite a bit of lack of bass given it's a 5" woofer, I would have expected more, like from the JBL 305p Mkii as just one example, although I'll temper that by saying that the Elac has a very smooth/slower roll off in the bass that might work well with room bass reinforcement....but I'm still surprised by the lower amount of bass. I think the large dip at 1800Hz is quite a large compromise to make, I wouldn't like to see that in my speaker. What is interesting though is the wide 70 degree dispersion in the horizontal directivity! I was expecting this speaker to get a fair panning (negative review) when I saw the spinorama, but I would wager the wide directivity saved this speaker when it came to Amir's listening impressions. I mean, how many speakers have we seen with a wide 70 degree horizontal dispersion? Normally we have around 60 degree horizontal dispersion as pretty much best case right? So maybe the extra 10 degrees of horizontal dispersion is really what is making this speaker a pleasure to listen to???

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
My take on the product/review (not read other comments - saying this in case someone thinks I'm replying to someone above).......my take is that I'm surprised to see quite a bit of lack of bass given it's a 5" woofer, I would have expected more, like from the JBL 305p Mkii as just one example, although I'll temper that by saying that the Elac has a very smooth/slower roll off in the bass that might work well with room bass reinforcement....but I'm still surprised by the lower amount of bass. I think the large dip at 1800Hz is quite a large compromise to make, I wouldn't like to see that in my speaker. What is interesting though is the wide 70 degree dispersion in the horizontal directivity! I was expecting this speaker to get a fair panning (negative review) when I saw the spinorama, but I would wager the wide directivity saved this speaker when it came to Amir's listening impressions. I mean, how many speakers have we seen with a wide 70 degree horizontal dispersion? Normally we have around 60 degree horizontal dispersion as pretty much best case right? So maybe the extra 10 degrees of horizontal dispersion is really what is making this speaker a pleasure to listen to???
Maybe the extra horizontal dispersion is a good thing, depends on preference listening and the room :)
I saw this speaker it's 3 way, I didn't notice that
  • Type:
  • 3-way Vented box
  • Woofer:
  • 1 x Aluminum cone 5-1/4″
  • Midrange:
  • 1 x Aluminum Cone 5-1/4″
  • Tweeter:
  • JET folded ribbon
  • Crossover frequency:
  • 100Hz / 3kHz

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe the extra horizontal dispersion is a good thing, depends on preference listening and the room :)
  • Type:
  • 3-way Vented box
  • Woofer:
  • Midrange:
  • Tweeter:
  • JET folded ribbon
  • Crossover frequency:
  • 100Hz / 3kHz
Yes, it looks like a 2-way, but it's a 3-way, not sure how the heck that happens....I had noticed it say crossover at 100Hz on the Elac website so that confused me when I thought it was a 2-way from looking at the pics. Where is that 3rd speaker?

But with regards to the wide dispersion that I mentioned - maybe that's what caught Amir's ear to aid in his positive review.....otherwise I don't see it as such a great speaker from the other measurements. I voted this speaker as "Fine", I was intrigued by the wide dispersion and Amir's positive listening impression, which is the only reason I voted this "fine" rather than "not terrible" (given it's fairly high price).

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
  • Type:
  • 3-way Vented box
  • Woofer:
  • Midrange:
  • Tweeter:
  • JET folded ribbon
  • Crossover frequency:
  • 100Hz / 3kHz
Can you post the link of that? I see 2-way both on the German and English sites

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Can you post the link of that? I see 2-way both on the German and English sites

From here :oops:

Im very confused now, look below at thier specs

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
"It attempted to produce sub-bass but what came out was clearly distorted."

??
Some small speakers simply filter out sub-bass. Others faintly reproduce it. Then there is the more rare situation of this speaker where it puts out the sound at reasonable volume but it is distorted.

Top Bottom