• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Carina BS243.4 Review (Bookshelf Speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 4.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 72 27.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 157 60.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 19 7.3%

• Total voters

panther

I just bought a set of these speakers, my first speaker purchase since before kids (empty nest now!). I’m still working out power, but they seem like they really need some juice. Does anybody else feel the same?
Yes I had the BS with a Yamaha wxa50 and it was very meh. I bought the FS when I moved and had a lyngdorf 1120 at the time. That was better but honestly I still somewhat more would be better. Got a NAD c399 now and I’m happy with the power, I still like the lyngdorf for all it’s software control and room perfect software.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes I had the BS with a Yamaha wxa50 and it was very meh. I bought the FS when I moved and had a lyngdorf 1120 at the time. That was better but honestly I still somewhat more would be better. Got a NAD c399 now and I’m happy with the power, I still like the lyngdorf for all it’s software control and room perfect software.
i really love that Lyngdorf. Just wish it had a tiny bit more power, but that feature set is one of the best for an integrated amp, and it’s probably fine with the Carinas 99% of the time. Damn nice amp imo. I’m considering some Oulaw monoblocks For the Carinas, I’ll post here if I pull the trigger.

panther

i really love that Lyngdorf. Just wish it had a tiny bit more power, but that feature set is one of the best for an integrated amp, and it’s probably fine with the Carinas 99% of the time. Damn nice amp imo. I’m considering some Oulaw monoblocks For the Carinas, I’ll post here if I pull the trigger.
Yes it was great for my Dali Menuets in a smaller room before we moved. My new room was fine when we sat and watched TV 10ft away However the back area was a workout / playroom and I wasn’t enjoying it when I workout (with the carinas). Probably could have lived with it really but got a deal on the c399.good luck with your amp hunt!
I wish they had something between the 1120 and 3400 still like the 2170 but with the airplay feature,

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
I just bought a set of these speakers, my first speaker purchase since before kids (empty nest now!). I’m still working out power, but they seem like they really need some juice. Does anybody else feel the same?
These have sensitivity of around 83db and are essentially 4ohm speakers. A bit on the low side.
A tower with say 89db sensitivity will play at the same SPL as these with 1/4 of the input power. Speakers with 92db sensitivty, which is quite sensitive, would play at the same level with 1/8th the power of this little set.
Even an 86db sensitive speaker, like a typical 6.5" based monitor will use 1/2 the power.
Small speakers generally need juice.

Bear in mind this speaker absolutely can't handle a continuous 200watts but for short peaks and crescendos in the far field at higher output levels you will want the power.
200watts can easy blow this driver if a lot of low frequency energy is in the track, watch your excursions and if needed high pass the bass out and get sub(s).

I use a 400watt amp myself. I'll never go back to less power when using low sensitivity loudspeakers(less than 86db)

GiBo61

So you have now the FS 247.4 Carina's? How do they compare with the bookshelf ones in terms of sound and power needed to drive them? I've been fascinated by both speakers in the dealer's showroom, particularly by the strong low end of the FS 247.4. I bought the Vela BS403 that I love but I miss the punch of the FS Carina's.

ABE43

I bought the Vela BS403 that I love but I miss the punch of the FS Carina's.

What are your thoughts on the Vela BS403s overall? I'm on the verge of buying some but am limited by space in a 180 sq. ft room and lower volume as I'm in an apartment building. How is the lower end on them?

GiBo61

What are your thoughts on the Vela BS403s overall? I'm on the verge of buying some but am limited by space in a 180 sq. ft room and lower volume as I'm in an apartment building. How is the lower end on them?
They are very linear speakers that really shine at medium-high volume. The bass is thight and the mid-high frequencies very appealing. They like a powerful amp, something with real 100 watts. However at moderate level they can be boring like any correct/linear speaker. Adding a subwoofer makes them more pleasant 8n that situation. The Carinas are more pleasant at moderate levels having a more loudness-like frequency profile, however they are formally less correct. It depends on what you want. Maybe you can consider the BS404vwith the 18 cm woofer. Just give them a try in the nearest dealer.

ABE43

@GiBo61 Thanks for the info. I appreciate you mentioning how they excel at medium-high volumes, one of my chief concerns is spending money on speakers that I won't get the most of. As much as I would like to blast heavy metal in my apartment I don't think my neighbours would appreciate it.

The 404s aren't available (as far as I know) in North America or at least in Canada, they aren't listed on the Elac websites here. The Solano BS were my initial target but those aren't listed in Canada either. I've heard the Carina FS at lower volumes and was impressed but haven't been able to find a pair of the BS to listen to as they have proven popular locally.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
@ClevelandBill the most recent reviewed amp would be ideal for these and just about any speaker that is not high sensitivity and needs meaningfully more than 50watts.

panther

They are very linear speakers that really shine at medium-high volume. The bass is thight and the mid-high frequencies very appealing. They like a powerful amp, something with real 100 watts. However at moderate level they can be boring like any correct/linear speaker. Adding a subwoofer makes them more pleasant 8n that situation. The Carinas are more pleasant at moderate levels having a more loudness-like frequency profile, however they are formally less correct. It depends on what you want. Maybe you can consider the BS404vwith the 18 cm woofer. Just give them a try in the nearest dealer.
Would agree with this. I definitely feel like something comes alive when I can go over -35DB or so on the volume of the NAD C399.

panther

@GiBo61 Thanks for the info. I appreciate you mentioning how they excel at medium-high volumes, one of my chief concerns is spending money on speakers that I won't get the most of. As much as I would like to blast heavy metal in my apartment I don't think my neighbours would appreciate it.

The 404s aren't available (as far as I know) in North America or at least in Canada, they aren't listed on the Elac websites here. The Solano BS were my initial target but those aren't listed in Canada either. I've heard the Carina FS at lower volumes and was impressed but haven't been able to find a pair of the BS to listen to as they have proven popular locally.
I did not like the BS at my desk as a nearfield setup when trying to be quiet while kids were really young. I've had way more enjoyment with Triangle speakers for that or Dali.

ABE43

I did not like the BS at my desk as a nearfield setup when trying to be quiet while kids were really young. I've had way more enjoyment with Triangle speakers for that or Dali.

Panther, are you talking about the Velas or Solano BS speakers? I'm fairly sure my listening would be at a higher volume than a desktop setup though not actually pushing into the loud territory that many here enjoy.

panther

Panther, are you talking about the Velas or Solano BS speakers? I'm fairly sure my listening would be at a higher volume than a desktop setup though not actually pushing into the loud territory that many here enjoy.
Sorry missed that you were mentioning velas. I was referring to the Carina still.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Folks who don't like these or other speakers in the near field have you tried tonal adjustments?
A couple db of trebble boost and or bass boost. Should bring back some pop at low SPL. You know, effectively the loudness control.
You could also be more specific than basic tone controls with PEQ if you felt such a thing helped.
Such as maybe in the near you are getting a lot of head based cancellation so boost the 1-2k zone a bit to bring back the midrange life if this is the issue rather then the above bass/treble solution.

Last edited:

Ngower

These are on B stock sale for $500. In a 12x12 space with concerns about bass (apartments), are these worth looking at? Coming from a pair of PSB bookshelves, been auditioning tons of speakers in the $1-2000 range. These, LS50m, Monitor Audio Br/Si, M16, etc all in competition.

ClevelandBill

These are on B stock sale for $500. In a 12x12 space with concerns about bass (apartments), are these worth looking at? Coming from a pair of PSB bookshelves, been auditioning tons of speakers in the $1-2000 range. These, LS50m, Monitor Audio Br/Si, M16, etc all in competition.
I've had mine for a short while now, and they are in my family room - a space about 16 x 14 feet give or take a couple/few. Mounted on the Carina stands, sitting on an "Oriental" carpet, on a wood floor. Behind is the fireplace, some brick. To the left a 1960's panel wall. To the right the same panel wall but with a sliding glass door, with heavy curtains (usually open to each side). The front position (seating position) backs up to another panel wall. Big sectional couch, and an enormous leather-covered coffee-table/ottoman thing.

I'm a bit underpowered for these "inefficient" speakers, but I haven't pushed them yet. My music runs the gamut from progressive and classic rock to Brazilian to jazz to classical.

What I am not getting is deep, sub-bass, at all. Most of my music doesn't have it, or need it. I do like a bit of electronica, and I will be disappointed, I am sure, with the lack of a disco-style pulsing bass. What bass there is, however, is surprisingly nice. I am a bass player, and I have heard some new things, with great clarity, and still deep.

I also have no "booming", which would be good for NOT getting evicted from an apartment.

The Carinas are renowned for their tweeters, and they do not disappoint. I do not hear the notch that is measured in the testing - but perhaps will with more critical listening sessions. To me, these speakers are a few levels above what I expected from small speakers. My previous experience was small bookshelf speakers from Infinity (Reference E-Ls, late 1980s), and some EPIs (10" plus tweeter) from the 1970s, and good headphones (AKG K240 and Grade Prestige), and a whole boatload of PA equipment (which counts for absolutely nothing in the audiophile world!). So I have not heard all the stuff that is out there by any means.

But I can say that they sound REALLY good, and create a lot of sound effortlessly. I keep waiting to see the speaker cones move, which I have not (as a bass player, I move cones!). And yet the sound just comes out. I'm getting some good "space" around the room, hearing a cymbal from the corner, or a guitar line from over by the bookshelf, outside the position of the speakers. And I'm hearing things that I hoped to hear - the taking in of breath of a singer, the scrape of a pick on a string, etc.

I have to add that I paid full price about a week before they went on sale for a lot less money, and twice what the B-stocks cost now. But no regrets. I am getting my money's worth - something I wanted for a long time and something that I really missed - is now sitting in my house, for use at any time.

Ngower

I've had mine for a short while now, and they are in my family room - a space about 16 x 14 feet give or take a couple/few. Mounted on the Carina stands, sitting on an "Oriental" carpet, on a wood floor. Behind is the fireplace, some brick. To the left a 1960's panel wall. To the right the same panel wall but with a sliding glass door, with heavy curtains (usually open to each side). The front position (seating position) backs up to another panel wall. Big sectional couch, and an enormous leather-covered coffee-table/ottoman thing.

I'm a bit underpowered for these "inefficient" speakers, but I haven't pushed them yet. My music runs the gamut from progressive and classic rock to Brazilian to jazz to classical.

What I am not getting is deep, sub-bass, at all. Most of my music doesn't have it, or need it. I do like a bit of electronica, and I will be disappointed, I am sure, with the lack of a disco-style pulsing bass. What bass there is, however, is surprisingly nice. I am a bass player, and I have heard some new things, with great clarity, and still deep.

I also have no "booming", which would be good for NOT getting evicted from an apartment.

The Carinas are renowned for their tweeters, and they do not disappoint. I do not hear the notch that is measured in the testing - but perhaps will with more critical listening sessions. To me, these speakers are a few levels above what I expected from small speakers. My previous experience was small bookshelf speakers from Infinity (Reference E-Ls, late 1980s), and some EPIs (10" plus tweeter) from the 1970s, and good headphones (AKG K240 and Grade Prestige), and a whole boatload of PA equipment (which counts for absolutely nothing in the audiophile world!). So I have not heard all the stuff that is out there by any means.

But I can say that they sound REALLY good, and create a lot of sound effortlessly. I keep waiting to see the speaker cones move, which I have not (as a bass player, I move cones!). And yet the sound just comes out. I'm getting some good "space" around the room, hearing a cymbal from the corner, or a guitar line from over by the bookshelf, outside the position of the speakers. And I'm hearing things that I hoped to hear - the taking in of breath of a singer, the scrape of a pick on a string, etc.

I have to add that I paid full price about a week before they went on sale for a lot less money, and twice what the B-stocks cost now. But no regrets. I am getting my money's worth - something I wanted for a long time and something that I really missed - is now sitting in my house, for use at any time.

I have a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 50 7G inbound to test (having already listened to some Wharfedales and the KEF R3 in home) and if those don't pan out I'll probably give the Carina a whirl. Worst case scenario I could make most or all of my money back selling them.

ClevelandBill

I have a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 50 7G inbound to test (having already listened to some Wharfedales and the KEF R3 in home) and if those don't pan out I'll probably give the Carina a whirl. Worst case scenario I could make most or all of my money back selling them.
I have to confess something, something "BIG". Where I live (Cleveland, Ohio) there are not a lot of great audiophile stores - and so I knew I would not be able to go listen to things before buying. My method for picking the Carinas was this: I used the Stereophile Magazine listing of "Recommended Components", and starting at the top of the list of speakers, I moved down to the first set of speakers that I could afford. I did a bit of research on some things in that general price range, and tried to learn what I could - but basically, that was my "discernment" - a list from a magazine.

Now, IF Stereophile's reviewers are any damned good, and IF the crowd doesn't put up a hue and a cry against such a pick, and IF the crowd does, in fact, say that they like the speakers ... it is entirely possible that their ears are better than mine, and I ought to respect their opinions. And so I will consider that what I did was a bit of a "crowdsourced" pick of speakers. And they are REALLY nice. So one point to the crowd, another point to Stereophile, and let's not forget the point to ASR, whose detailed technical review gave me a lot of comfort.

I wish I could say I spent every Saturday for a few months listening to stuff at my local audiophile store ...

Beave

Major Contributor
For some reason, this speaker model isn't showing up when I do a search for "Elac" under "speakers" in the Review Index on this forum.

Top Bottom