• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Efficiency of wooden cups in self-damping the headphones?

nyxnyxnyx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm sorry if this question looks confusing.
I've read a few articles and some comments here and there about the properties of wooden headphones cups. In one article, or rather a marketing point, denon claimed that their headphones cups are doing the "self-absorbing, self-damping" duty for the headphones, they eliminate unwanted resonances in the chamber.
some unverified comments on head-fi and sbaf also claim that the properties of wood will change over time, so it means that after a certain amount of time, the quality of wood may be altered thus might create an audible effect/difference to the headphones. that and different types of wood will bring different sound profiles, or different ways to "optimize" the sound?

now.... I don't know if any of those are even half-right. I've owned a few wooden headphones and they do sound vastly different from each other, but I can't say it's due to the wood types because they have different configurations (different drivers types/size, different pads, different cup width and so on...).
I would really love to hear opinions from you guys. are wooden cups a great way to optimize the sound, or is it more for aesthetic and longevity? hope to hear some great insight and possibly see someone debunk some "audiophile" myth from this one.

Top Bottom