• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Effect of Cannabis use on hearing

Bow_Wazoo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Do you guys notice any particular effects on your hearing when you smoke?
Of course, I can also see an interesting effect.
I perceive all music differently.
The soundstage is significantly larger.
The tones are more intense, and melodies seem to make a whole new sense.

I'm 43 now, and haven't touched weed for the last 25 years.
But some time ago an old classmate showed up and brought me something.
He really aroused my curiosity by telling me that consuming the stuff pure and "smoke" it through a vaporizer is a completely different experience. From memory, I can fully confirm that. Consumed in this way, one has an relatively clear head, and no "couch-lock".
Moreover, at least for me, about 0.2 grams per application.
The health aspect is also worth mentioning. Evaporating, the stuff can be called medicine in my opinion.

However, I prefer a completely clear head, so I very rarely use.
Fortunately, the legalization here in Germany has been decided.

PSX_20211028_170536.jpg

Last edited:

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is really strange is going beyond weed, how popular micro dosing has become amount groups of highly functional people. It would blow your mind to find out what folks are up to for good or bad (shrug).
I know someone who microdosed LSD (using legal chemical precursors). He said it worked wonders for his particularly nasty depression/ADHD mix. Happiest and most productive he'd been Unfortunately, it works for a few days then you have to break for like a month. All these drugs, even in small doses, do tend to cumulatively flood brain receptors and build resistance/cause other side effects.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You must have a lot of heart to work with mentally ill people. I really respect that because I can't manage most of them but some are not so bad. All in all I avoid them because they can be very frustrating. I think teen use of cannabis is a no go for sure. Adults over the age of 25 are said to be not as susceptible to cannabis schizophrenia if it happens at all. I am against teen access to cannabis and it's derivatives.
Yes it’s a cliche but the weed now is a different ballpark to the extremely mild Moroccan/Afghan hash that was sold in every U.K. Home Counties town in the 80s/90s. Several years ago I took one toke of some gorilla glue and was incapacitated. The prospect of a teenager smoking that is really scary. In my late 40s I don’t even drink, but I meditate twice daily and am loving life.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes it’s a cliche but the weed now is a different ballpark to the extremely mild Moroccan/Afghan hash that was sold in every U.K. Home Counties town in the 80s/90s. Several years ago I took one toke of some gorilla glue and was incapacitated. The prospect of a teenager smoking that is really scary. In my late 40s I don’t even drink, but I meditate twice daily and am loving life.
Meditating is cool. I was meditating via classroom Thai Chi for several months daily and it was good. :D

mglobe

Forum Donor
I was in high school in the early 70's, and literally didn't know anyone that didn't smoke pot. Music was amazing in those days, and smoking and listening to it was what we did. ...a lot. These days I occasionally partake, and when I listen to my system after smoking, it's an amazing experience. I rarely do though as I find it makes me hazy the next day. I still prefer to burn a joint over other delivery methods.

Scrappy

Back in my college days, I remember a buddy asking if I’d ever listened to Zepp’s Going to California whole decently high (on pot). I hadn’t, and man o man was he right, quite an experience. I did develop a taste for the herb. Studio mixing while mildly blazed was a lot of fun for sure!

Nootmuskaatje

Many highs are great with music, especially psychedelics (imo weed is part of that catagory). I could lay down on bed for hours listening to a playlist of psychedelic rock and other alike genres.

The only one that didn't do it for me was DiPT (DiisoPropylTryptamine). That is afaik the only known psychedelic of which the main effect are auditory. Tonality is completely messed up. It's a fun thing to try for an audiophile.

NikJi

I wonder how does weed affect you guys while listening to music.

And if you know if any Scientific studies on this specific effect in particular.

For me when i smoke the Devil’s grass I experience few effects.

1) Bass is more pronounced, I would be perceiving it louder than it actually is

2) Better sound imaging, i could always tell where each part of the sound is within the stereo image.

3) i would pay attention to details that otherwise I wouldn’t notice, i would be able to separate background vocals from lead vocals and hear them as if i’m in a stage and they’re coming from two different places (due to the improved sound imaging as well)

4) Synthesia (when i’m really stoned) the different notes and tones start poping colors when i close my eyes.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder how does weed affect you guys while listening to music.

And if you know if any Scientific studies on this specific effect in particular.

For me when i smoke the Devil’s grass I experience few effects.

1) Bass is more pronounced, I would be perceiving it louder than it actually is

2) Better sound imaging, i could always tell where each part of the sound is within the stereo image.

3) i would pay attention to details that otherwise I wouldn’t notice, i would be able to separate background vocals from lead vocals and hear them as if i’m in a stage and they’re coming from two different places (due to the improved sound imaging as well)

4) Synthesia (when i’m really stoned) the different notes and tones start poping colors when i close my eyes.

I enjoy music more with it, seems it just lets you focus on it/be involved with the music a bit better. Synthesia was better with stronger psychedelics, tho :) Been enjoying the "devil's weed" for 50 years now....

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would not be at all shocked that widespread legalization, we are going to see a number of studies that will give us objective data about things cannabis can and cannot do and real claims that can be made. When I’m high and listening to music, I tend to be able focus on just music and not be looking at my phone, petting the dog, etc. So for me, subjectively, it sounds better.

sphinxsix

Beethoven didn’t have a big white beard.
And Saint Nicholas had one, are you sure.? This is from Wikipedia..

220px-Saint_Nicolas_Heures_d%27Anne_de_Bretagne.jpg

BTW what this painting represents (quoting Wiki):

"A malicious butcher lured three little children into his house, where he killed them, placing their remains in a barrel to cure, planning to sell them off as ham.[29][54] Nicholas, visiting the region to care for the hungry, saw through the butcher's lies and resurrected the pickled children by making the sign of the cross."

They for sure only drank wine and beer back then.? :cool:

Saint_Nicholas-Other_reputed_miracles

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
And Saint Nicholas had one, are you sure.? This is from Wikipedia..

220px-Saint_Nicolas_Heures_d%27Anne_de_Bretagne.jpg

BTW what this painting represents (quoting Wiki):

"A malicious butcher lured three little children into his house, where he killed them, placing their remains in a barrel to cure, planning to sell them off as ham.[29][54] Nicholas, visiting the region to care for the hungry, saw through the butcher's lies and resurrected the pickled children by making the sign of the cross."

They for sure only drank wine and beer back then.? :cool:

Saint_Nicholas-Other_reputed_miracles

Only when he wanted to be incognito.

frascati

I've never been convinced that pot's enhancement effects, on taste, sound, sex, thought, etc, are really any more than perspective shifts. That OMG moment of experiencing something otherwise commonplace to you, when high, never seems (in my experience anyway) fully repeatable. It's still omg, but a little less than the last time, each subsequent time. If you do it often enough, and are of the really honest-to-yourself sort, you eventually reach some state of value equilibrium where you can appreciate both states of mind...stoned or straight... for what they bring to your table.

egellings

Major Contributor
So a spliff turns stereo into mono? Why not give it up and sell one speaker?
No, the center filled in better, enhancing the stereo effect by reducing hole-in-the-middle sound effect. Stereo did not sound like mono at all.

frascati

No, the center filled in better, enhancing the stereo effect by reducing hole-in-the-middle sound effect. Stereo did not sound like mono at all.
An interesting read for anyone out there who may not be acquainted.

JRS

Major Contributor
Alcohol and Cannabis are both open to misuse and the misuse of alcohol is a bigger problem than the misuse of Cannabis. Will this change in places like California where the use of Cannabis is growing? Think I’ll stick with the Prophet Muhammad on this one he banned alcohol because it took away many mens’ sense of reason. Both can lead to serious health problems in societies were Cannabis has been in widespread use for many years, there are serious problems with Schizophrenia. Had many friends using either and often both. When you saw them going over the top they always said “Don’t worry I can handle it.” Unfortunately for many they couldn’t.
As a psychiatrist, must forcefully take extreme issue with this. A number of studies have shown a connection between schizophrenia and adolescent cannabis use. The studies that were big news in the mid nineties all came out of the UK and a couple of colleges beating on this bandwagon ever since--that we were going to see an epidemic of schizophrenia in the not distant future. That time has come and went and went some more. Subsequent studies showing some risk for heavy and young users, What that risk is remains unknown, but independent researchers show it to be something on the order of 1 excess case in 10,000. And that the individuals who begin to display schizophrenic symptoms were in all likelihood headed that way, and the role of cannabis is not causative so much as provocative. By that I mean provoking an earlier manifestation of symptoms. Finally a metastudy published recently shows no compelling evidence of a link at all. I believe most in the field would recommend postponing experimentation until at least 18 and preferably 21 just in case, and besides drug use of any type during adolescence and before full maturation is not a great idea in any event for a variety of reasons.

I don't discount your report completely--amphetamines have been shown to be quite capable of inducing a paranoid psychosis. Hallucinogens not (temporarily of course--that's the point!), and cannabis pretty effing iffy. Perhaps these people were using other drugs, and no question that cannabis can amplify psychotic symptoms. In other cases, not so much. Anyhow I just wanted to put this out there as a public service announcement.

PS: Between myself (an occasional user now, abstainer most of my life) and the hundreds of people I have been around, not one would have confused musical genres. But I can see where trying to run a radio station might be tough, particularly when you had no training to begin with. An experienced operator being impaired to that extent, doubtful.

JRS

Major Contributor
The problem with that argument is it can be said for gambling or many other common vices. I think it's a bad idea to outlaw any opportunities to evade personal responsibility.
God knows that various types of parental propaganda, including attaching too much importance to winning at whatever costs, has unleashed a wholelotta misery. A number of current cases in point running around sounding like utter idiots and some being very high profile. Two start with the letter M.

Top Bottom