• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Effect of Cannabis use on hearing

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder how does weed affect you guys while listening to music.

And if you know if any Scientific studies on this specific effect in particular.

For me when i smoke the Devil’s grass I experience few effects.

1) Bass is more pronounced, I would be perceiving it louder than it actually is

2) Better sound imaging, i could always tell where each part of the sound is within the stereo image.

3) i would pay attention to details that otherwise I wouldn’t notice, i would be able to separate background vocals from lead vocals and hear them as if i’m in a stage and they’re coming from two different places (due to the improved sound imaging as well)

4) Synthesia (when i’m really stoned) the different notes and tones start poping colors when i close my eyes.

Do you guys notice any particular effects on your hearing when you smoke?

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know of any studies, but my anecdata over a delightful 50 years of indulgence is increased ability to relax and focus; increased hearing acuity, which presents as clarity and disentanglement; increased width and depth of the aural image; and increased intellectual, emotional and physical involvement with rhythms and melodic lines, as they meander and eventually resolve. The suspense, tension and relief can be really satisfying. The only downside is that the increased acuity makes my tinnitus hiss a little louder.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
Cannabis does help to explore more about the music and yourself. It kind of opens your eyes
A few years ago people running a Cannabis cafe in Amsterdam applied for and were granted a licence to open a radio station. Lasted a couple of days, their sense of perception certainly wasn’t enhanced. They were too stoned to operate the equipment. So if I’m more than a bit sceptical about some of you claiming it enhances your listening experience. Stoners have altered perspectives, I’ll leave it there before my real opinion causes offence.

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It varies for everybody. I get little enjoyment, for example. Makes me feel dumb, dizzy and tired. A drink or two works much better. Pity, since it's legal in VA now.

Last edited:

Gregss

Hello,
Agree, moderation is the key to health and enjoying life. Have also found that closing my eyes when listening give pleasant results.

Regards,
Greg

egellings

Major Contributor
I notice that when I close my eyes while listening to music, the center seems to fill in better. Maybe the eyes tell the brain that there are two separate sound sources (speakers), and that's where the sound is coming from. With closed eyes, that message is gone.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
I notice that when I close my eyes while listening to music, the center seems to fill in better. Maybe the eyes tell the brain that there are two separate sound sources (speakers), and that's where the sound is coming from. With closed eyes, that message is gone.
So a spliff turns stereo into mono? Why not give it up and sell one speaker?

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not a user of cannabis, but as far as I know, the effects for listening to music vary greatly from person to person. I know people who really enjoy music being slightly under the effect of cannabis.

Robin L

Master Contributor
The schedule 1 status of cannabis prevents scientific studies of all varieties. Considering that cannabis has comparatively low toxicity the studies should have begun decades ago, but they haven't.

Peterinvan

Cannabis does help to explore more about the music and yourself. It kind of opens your eyes
Actually, I like to close my eyes, and let the music open my “third eye”.

I try to give the other parts of my consciousness a time out (i.e memory scanning, script writing, future speculation, dreaming etc.)

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
A few years ago people running a Cannabis cafe in Amsterdam applied for and were granted a licence to open a radio station. Lasted a couple of days, their sense of perception certainly wasn’t enhanced. They were too stoned to operate the equipment. So if I’m more than a bit sceptical about some of you claiming it enhances your listening experience. Stoners have altered perspectives, I’ll leave it there before my real opinion causes offence.
Been around people under the influence of cannabis, they couldn’t tell the difference between Beethoven and Santa Claus.
You have been around others who were under the influence who were 'Beethoven'. Many people who are extrodinarly high functioning use it all the time and many extremely talented folks.
You just don't know it.
I don't smoke it/partake in it all anymore and have no interest but it must be said that you two have no idea what you are talking about. You watched 'Dazed and Confused' to many times.
For many folks weed has the effect of increasing performance, especially with the contemporary delivery methods (that are 'clean' or free of smoke toxins)and the tailored varietals.

What is really strange is going beyond weed, how popular micro dosing has become amount groups of highly functional people. It would blow your mind to find out what folks are up to for good or bad (shrug).

In terms of hearing, music (along with quite a few things) was definitely more enjoyable and my hearing was more acute (and perhaps enhanced in odd ways as well)
Alcohol always dulled my hearing and I hate that and more about it. That is a waste from my vantage point. So glad I am not a drinker.

Anyway not advocating weed per say.

Top Bottom