• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Edit: How to get as good as possible "ambiant music" NOT at mail listening position?

jmf11

Hello,

The speakers are in front of the couch... but my desk is at 90°... and I spend much more time at my desk than at my main listening position... Last, turning the speakers is not really an option.

So... What are the possibilities to get as good as possible "ambiant music" NOT at mail listening position ?

My idea is to play only one speaker in Mono when at my desk. Does it makes sense? Other options?

Best regards,

JMF

Last edited:
OP
J

jmf11

Thanks Jim,

In fact my question was not clear... Intention is not to be isolated at the desk and from the familly. So I was more looking to ambiant music (vs critical listening). I have already headphones here, and "local" loudspeakers would not be the inbtention.

I have edited #1. Hope that the question is better spelled now.

Best regards,

JMF

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I have a friend whose home office is at one end of his listening room, at 90 degrees. His solution was to get omnidirectional speakers.

notsodeadlizard

You probably have a very typical question.

That is, as far as I understand your situation, you already have something that you listen to while sitting on the couch.
This something is of pretty decent quality because you're looking for a way "to get as good as possible" for background music listening while you are working on your desk.
And you have (I think not bad) headphones. But you are not satisfied with listening to music in the background with headphones. I myself do not like to sit in headphones for a long time and I understand you very well, whatever your reasons are.

Logically, this means only one important thing: your background music cannot be loud.
If so, then you are in for a surprise.
Because for a quiet background music you don't need anything with the outstanding technical parameters.
Any decent micro system from a good brand will do just fine. Just buy it, put it on the desk and listen to background without touching or changing anything in your good main audio system.

But it is better to take 30-minute breaks for listening to music comfortable.
Because background listening is not about listening to music at all in many senses.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You probably have a very typical question.

That is, as far as I understand your situation, you already have something that you listen to while sitting on the couch.
This something is of pretty decent quality because you're looking for a way "to get as good as possible" for background music listening while you are working on your desk.
And you have (I think not bad) headphones. But you are not satisfied with listening to music in the background with headphones. I myself do not like to sit in headphones for a long time and I understand you very well, whatever your reasons are.

Logically, this means only one important thing: your background music cannot be loud.
If so, then you are in for a surprise.
Because for a quiet background music you don't need anything with the outstanding technical parameters.
Any decent micro system from a good brand will do just fine. Just buy it, put it on the desk and listen to background without touching or changing anything in your good main audio system.

But it is better to take 30-minute breaks for listening to music comfortable.
Because background listening is not about listening to music at all in many senses.
Agree with this, don't overthink it for music that you won't be overthinking about. You could simplify further and just get a decent smart-speaker (Sonus?) ... surprisingly satisfying

OP
J

jmf11

@notsodeadlizard : You catched it. I'm happy with my LX-Minis. I have a good headphone. This is for background music. I add that that room is 25m2. So I don't feel I need a third audio stuff (on top of the speakers and headphones).

Bottom line: if my needs are those, could I have better results playing only mono on 1 speaker than playing the system stereo with both speakers not pointing to me.

Possibly stupid question ;-)

notsodeadlizard

Oh, Linkwitz...
Linkwitz is nice, sure.

Just don't turn up the volume, don't make things difficult for yourself, and still take breaks, your Linkwitzes are waiting for your ears (and vice versa) :)

Plod990

@notsodeadlizard : You catched it. I'm happy with my LX-Minis. I have a good headphone. This is for background music. I add that that room is 25m2. So I don't feel I need a third audio stuff (on top of the speakers and headphones).

Bottom line: if my needs are those, could I have better results playing only mono on 1 speaker than playing the system stereo with both speakers not pointing to me.

Possibly stupid question ;-)
Try it and then you’ll know!

-Matt-

Edit: How to get as good as possible "ambiant music" NOT at mail listening position?​

Is the mail listening position outside the front door with your ear to the letterbox?!
Screenshot_20230514-094928_Firefox.jpg

Sorry, I'll get my coat.

JeremyFife

Agree with this, don't overthink it for music that you won't be overthinking about. You could simplify further and just get a decent smart-speaker (Sonus?) ... surprisingly satisfying
Update - I didn't know anything about your speakers (Linkwitz LX mini). They sound fascinating... not surprised that you want to keep using them. Good luck!

OP
J

jmf11

@Plod990 : 100% correct :) 1) my request was quite ill defined 2) I should do my homework.

Basically I wondered if I was the only one to use my system more often for background music than for critical listening at MLP. And in my understanding, what is needed for backgroud music anywhere in the room is quite different from the optimization for the stereo illusion at the MLP.

@-Matt- : my situation is a bit better ;-)

@JeremyFife : yes, it is definitly an interesting design. Those speakers really deliver. Superb stereo image. Cardioid concept before the Kii Three and D&D 8c. As a DIY option they are not expensive. They are easy to build... Good play ground for DSP, active amplification... Sure not every one will agree, but worth listening... There a great thread here about those.

Top Bottom