• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Edifier S360DB + DAC + Preamp

Hello guys!

I use Edifier S360DB active speakers as follows:
Notebook > DAC Topping D10S (connected to notebook via USB) > Edifier S360DB (Edifiers receive signal from DAC via RCA cable).

Thinking about improving the sound quality a little more, I'm considering buying a Topping L30 II to be used as a preamp.

Do you think this investment is worth it or is it unnecessary?

What real gains will I have if I choose to integrate the preamp into the set?

Thank you very much!

iconoclast

So the S360DB speakers have a DSP and thus should convert any analog input signal directly into the digital domain, so putting another DAC in front of it (without EQ) to improve the sound quality I'd say will do nothing.

Likewise, I don't really see the preamp being of much use.

Interested in hearing what you think of the S360DB. The price is certainly competitive (perhaps even moreso for S350DB/S351DB). I've been thinking of trying them out for my home office (my Genelecs deserve a better room).

OP
H
So the S360DB speakers have a DSP and thus should convert any analog input signal directly into the digital domain, so putting another DAC in front of it (without EQ) to improve the sound quality I'd say will do nothing.

Likewise, I don't really see the preamp being of much use.

Interested in hearing what you think of the S360DB. The price is certainly competitive (perhaps even moreso for S350DB/S351DB). I've been thinking of trying them out for my home office (my Genelecs deserve a better room).
I've never had very sophisticated speakers and I couldn't even hear that kind of speakers. Before the Edifier S360DB, I had the Edifier C3.
That said, what I can say about the Edifier S360DB is that they are good speakers. In my opinion, they lack a bit of final volume for them. Most of the time, I use them in my home office which measures approximately 8 m². For this room, the Edifier S360DB is a perfect fit. However, if you place them in a more open place, they lack the power to reach higher volumes. Edifier's website says that these speakers will satisfactorily meet an audio environment of up to 150 m². I doubt it will be able to cover a room of that size.
For my personal taste the signature of these boxes is very good and makes me want to listen more and more.
Another slightly unpleasant detail is that if you use these speakers for a party or something similar, the subwoofer turns off when used for a long time at maximum volume. Here at home, for example, listening to electronic music/edm at maximum volume, the subwoofer turned off after approximately 45 minutes. It needs to be turned off and on again to get it working again. According to the manufacturer, this is a precautionary protection.
Anyway, I consider good speakers, but I would like it to play louder and not have the detail of the subwoofer that turns off after extreme use.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
end of the day you will always be limited by those speakers and their internal amp power AND the dac inside (I assume these do not have analog passthru???)

you can add more stuff to the chain but the there's those two or three limiting factors

sort of the basic problem with a lot of these 2.1 compact digital amp systems

they are designed to work in a limited environment, as you say a home office, with little in the ability to upgrade without throwing out the whole set for something different

OP
H
end of the day you will always be limited by those speakers and their internal amp power AND the dac inside (I assume these do not have analog passthru???)

you can add more stuff to the chain but the there's those two or three limiting factors

sort of the basic problem with a lot of these 2.1 compact digital amp systems

they are designed to work in a limited environment, as you say a home office, with little in the ability to upgrade without throwing out the whole set for something different
Thank you very much for your considerations. To clear this doubt in practice, I ordered the Topping L30 II. Once it's installed, I'll get back to you to let you know my insights into the set after adding more of this equipment.

Top Bottom