• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Edifier S2000MKIII Powered Speakers - slight hiss from tweeters?

RyanOCallaghan01

Hi all,

I recently purchased the Edifier S2000MKIII powered speakers and noticed that there is a slight, constant hiss which is audible at the tweeter units. It appears to remain at roughly the same level with the volume set to 1-30 ish, and intensifies as I turn the volume up further from there. (50 is the maximum) At the aforementioned 1-30, when I align my ear directly in front of the tweeter on either speaker, I have to get around 2-3 feet away before I stop noticing the hiss. Overall it does not really affect the audio experience as any sound playing is enough to drown out the hiss, but I was wondering if this is normal for these speakers? My previous Edifier R1600TIIIs (much smaller) would only create a similar hiss with when the volume was turned up very high.

Thanks

Weeb Labs

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi all,

I recently purchased the Edifier S2000MKIII powered speakers and noticed that there is a slight, constant hiss which is audible at the tweeter units. It appears to remain at roughly the same level with the volume set to 1-30 ish, and intensifies as I turn the volume up further from there. (50 is the maximum) At the aforementioned 1-30, when I align my ear directly in front of the tweeter on either speaker, I have to get around 2-3 feet away before I stop noticing the hiss. Overall it does not really affect the audio experience as any sound playing is enough to drown out the hiss, but I was wondering if this is normal for these speakers? My previous Edifier R1600TIIIs (much smaller) would only create a similar hiss with when the volume was turned up very high.

Thanks
Yes, this is perfectly normal. You are hearing the noise floor of the amplifiers. When the input gain is raised above unity (likely around 30), you then begin to hear the noise floor of the input buffers on top of that.

theyellowspecial

Forum Donor
Normal for actives and powered desktop speakers. There is a company that recently announced they'll be seeking to reduce hiss in future active models. Can't remember the company but the news was posted here.

fragzone

Same issue with my swan m200mkiii+

Not a huge deal but annoying at first because supposedly it's something that can be engineered out at this point.

My other active monitors are the Yamaha nx-n500 and they are dead quiet. They are however individually amped and probably a fair bit higher quality.

and18

Hi, how are you?.
I had the same issue if I connect the source trough RCA, if I use Optical, I do not have it (only if there is something played with veeery low volume, but without any source it stops).
Seems to be normal for this type of models.

Top Bottom