• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Edifier S2000 Pro Review (Powered Monitor)

YSC

Major Contributor
Some S2000MKiii feedback/reviews I have come across mention an inconsistency in sound between the master & slave speaker (maybe due to difference in amount of free internal dimension).
Some “powered” speakers get around this by closing off empty space in the slave speaker to give it identical internal dimensions to master speaker.

I am particularly interested in the performance of Airpulse A300Pro which is their first Active design (both speaker’s have built-in amplifiers and power-supply) which can be used with internal DAC (one speaker has extra input-board and DAC) or each of the speakers can be switched to disconnect from this input-board and work like traditional studio monitors via XLR.
interesting observations and likely overlooked by manufacturers at this price range. Otherwise it looks pretty decent to me with the +/- rang being pretty good

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi @amirm. This is about vegetables growing.

What advantages do you find in using these raised beds instead of the bare land of your terrain? The soil seems healthy and the terrain appears to be flat.

Remlab

Forum Donor
Hi @amirm. This is about vegetables growing.

What advantages do you find in using these raised beds instead of the bare land of your terrain? The soil seems healthy and the terrain appears to be flat.
I don’t know why Amir does it, but I do it for two reasons. It’s easier on the back, and it’s harder for snails and insects to invade vs being planted in the ground.:)

testp

Yeah I've been curious in the Mkiii. It seems to have gotten a lot of positive reviews, with some people even preferring it over the higher-priced s3000pro

The caveat of Edifier above 1000 series was i believe that, Tone-preset (adjusted by remote) setting defaults to something other than Neutral everytime it comes out of stand-by, theres a lot of talk about it in forums elsewhere...

testp

Did you have the remote control? This speaker has four EQ modes, DSP, only selectable on the remote, which one did you use for measurements?
The speaker might use the last EQ preset selected, if no reselection is done via the remote.

View attachment 135962
above 1000 models should default to classic mode after coming out from standby, i could be wrong but that made it absolute no-no to my purchase...

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t know why Amir does it, but I do it for two reasons. It’s easier on the back, and it’s harder for snails and insects to invade vs being planted in the ground.:)

I hold some experience in that field, so I feel that maybe I can help in one way or another, at least sharing my experience. My English is quite limited in this field but I'll try to be as clear as possible. :)

For the back, replace the handle hoes for larger ones. Accommodate the tool to your need, not the opposite. Buy or rent a motorized plow can help a lot.

With respect to snails, indeed they are one of the biggest enemies of certain vegetables, however, there is something more important to be considered here, in my opinion and based on my experience.

Plants are very complex beings that require a combination of many different conditions to give the best of themselves. To reach that, the best we can do is acknowledge and respect their needs and preferences instead of imposing ours to them. And if one has to express this with one word it would by this: diversity.

The plants we grow in a vegetable garden are like any other plant, with the same needs and preferences. Therefore, when you see a vegetable garden than only has vegetables, or "good" plants, normally means that is not a healthy and rich ecosystem for a plant. The diversity of an ecosystem is the best measure of its health. Therefore, don't be afraid of any plant or animal in your ecosystems. Exactly the opposite: the more diverse, the better for your plants. If there are some insects, some birds will show up, which in turn will leave their valuable excrement. The processes by which the roots of the plants extract water and nutrients from the soil is very complex and usually involves other plants roots and fungi which live in symbiosis with the plant roots, but they need the soil to be rich to flourish. Therefore, if other "undesired" plants grow along with you vegetables, let them be, just control they don't get too large. The most productive natural vegetables gardens I've seen are the most chaotic ones, with lots of undesired plants.

If you try to create a separated and controlled environment, which seems very reasonable in electronics and most of sciences, you are creating a poor ecosystem, which may look healthy for a human eye: clean, ordered, etc. But it has almost nothing in terms of chemical diversity, which is in the end what allows the plants to grow tasty seeds and fruits.

My advice is this: if you have a piece of land that you can devote to vegetable gardening, before planting anything valuable, try to build a rich and diverse ecosystem. Start by adding some external nutrients by means of excrement or chemicals and plowing that piece of land, increasing the amount of oxygen and nitrogen of the soil to facilitate all that decaying process which creates the food for the plants. That is, we limit our action to help that natural processes to occur more quickly by creating an environment ideal for the the decomposition processes of organics. We do that every time that we plow the land, taking the nutrients from the first inches to a more deep stages, where our plants will find them. Once that piece of soil contains some tasty organics for the plants, they will start to grow naturally. This is the first sign of success. If you see that there are too much aphids, you can buy a colony of ladybugs, which helps a lot to increase the ecosystem diversity. Once those first plants eventually die, don't do anything at all. Just let them decay there and after few months plow the land again and start over the process. That depends heavily on you climate though. However, some decomposition must reach the land, so if because of your local climate, the periods where the plants naturally die are very short, just cut them once a few months, to allow for decomposition and others to take their place. Plowing more often in that case will help to ensure that nutrients don't stay only at the surface, as it happens in rainforests.

This process can be combined with productive ones. For instance, you can grow some vegetables half of the year and leave the other half to mother nature. Also, consider that fallow is the most important discovery in the middle ages with respect to agriculture, so, let the land rest if you can afford it.

Following that simple rules, in few years you can have a very rich ecosystem that eventually can reach that magic state of equilibrium, in which you don't have to do anything but make some place for your plants plowing a region, water, collect, and leave it in peace until the next ones. Now you can think, ok, but I want my tomatoes right know. Let me tell you something: you won't get them until you have a good place for them. Yes, you can grow anything with a lot of external chemicals and effort, but it will have a fraction of the taste and properties of its ideal version.

And finally, when you have achieved all of this, then and only then, you can start worrying about snails and other plagues. ;)

All of this is very hard to achieve if the piece of land is physically separated from the rest, as it will be more difficult for earthworms and other important animals to invade you ecosystem and will create an effect of isolation which is exactly the opposite that is required for a healthy ecosystem. These are open systems, never isolated. An isolated ecosystem will always eventually die, become inert. You can try to sustain it artificially by adding a lot of products, but you will be putting there just a fraction of what it needs, which is very complex. Yes, in some industrial monoculture plantations everything is absolutely controlled. However, that requires a lot of knowledge and resources, and usually they are only aimed to achieve size, but not taste or properties. Also, those physical impediments will difficult the vital task of plowing, which requires to be done at a depth of 30 - 40 cm.

Last edited:

Remlab

Forum Donor
Everything you say makes perfect sense (grammatically too;))

Remlab

Forum Donor
When I found out around 7 years ago that Edifier bought Stax, I looked into their headphones and found one of high value that's pretty interesting. It was also tuned by Phil jones. Frequency response graph(For what it's worth) towards the end
http://topprodutor.com.br/review-do-headphone-edifier-h850/

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
When I found out around 7 years ago that Edifier bought Stax, I looked into their headphones and found one of high value that's pretty interesting. It was also tuned by Phil jones. Frequency response graph(For what it's worth) towards the end
http://topprodutor.com.br/review-do-headphone-edifier-h850/
Yup, my favourite budget headphone. Definitely has distortion issues though, and you can hear those treble peaks. On a tight budget I think IEMs give more for the money... But we digress :)

JohnBooty

Forum Donor
Did you have the remote control? This speaker has four EQ modes, DSP, only selectable on the remote, which one did you use for measurements?
@amirm , would you consider adding a note to the review that says this - that it's possible/likely one of the DSP modes was active and this surely skewed the frequency response?

As the article reads now, it indicates that this is a highly flawed speaker that is not recommended because of the wacky response. However, it's very likely that this wacky response is easily defeatable.

I'm not requesting a labor-intensive re-measurement. But, I think a quick addendum would be fair?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm , would you consider adding a note to the review that says this - that it's possible/likely one of the DSP modes was active and this surely skewed the frequency response?

As the article reads now, it indicates that this is a highly flawed speaker that is not recommended because of the wacky response. However, it's very likely that this wacky response is easily defeatable.

I'm not requesting a labor-intensive re-measurement. But, I think a quick addendum would be fair?

the only way it would be 'defeatable' if someone would to take that horrible horrible tweeter out and put something else in instead.

pot

This R1850DB / R1700BT could have any potential tho.

*not to meant OOT, but some other Edifier line could possibly be a real gem that priced quite bargain, waiting to be found.

Xyrium

Forum Donor

Personally, if a snail was attached to the veggies I was about to eat, it would simply fulfill my protein intake. ;)

Edit: Aww geez, another good review too, thanks Amir! This was one of those I was considering, just to fulfill my Thiel, slanted baffle yearning.

Ultrasonic

akarma

I'm using S2000MKIII with my TV right now and it is good speakers overall. They're fairly close to my Dynaudio Emit M20 after EQ. The only thing i don't like is that the monitor mode is not default one. I would remove all presets except Monitor at all.

MrOtto

Agreed, everything else than "Monitor" DSP setting, sound is too boomy and treble is too elevated.

Top Bottom