• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Edifier S2000 Pro Review (Powered Monitor)

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks Amir. Currently 8% off over at Edifier, where they accurately advertise it as a "Powered Bluetooth Bookshelf Speaker," despite the 'pro' in the model name.

Tweeter mountain range response is likely the waveguide design, does it have any curve to it or is just an inverted sports marker cone?

There's some curve. with its simple shape, it doesn't look like they ran a bunch of simulations to perfect it, like the current JBL stuff.
1623843325038.png

MrOtto

I believe he mentioned he didn't receive the remote for testing:

Ok, so no way of knowing which DSP EQ preset was used. This speaker actually have a DSP implementation.

"Equalization helped fair bit indicating that if they had done this in the on board DSP, they would have had a winner on their hands."
@amirm They do use the onboard DSP.

Katji

Major Contributor
Yeah I've been curious in the Mkiii. It seems to have gotten a lot of positive reviews, with some people even preferring it over the higher-priced s3000pro
Subjective, so many comments saying the S3000 Pro is "too expensive."
S3000 Pro has USB input. S2000 does not, most models do not. (There are other differences - amplifiers. and volume control that Amir referred to.)
I have S3000 Pro.

Image/s of Chinese ads posted show that S2000 MKIII does not have the sloped front baffle.
And has remote identical to S3000 Pro - so I assume with same DSP presets labels: Monitor, Dynamic, Classic, Vocals. I think of it as active/adjustable crossover/voicing. Monitor and Dynamic are obvious enough, Classic they say means "classic or typical hi-fi voicing." I find that Dynamic improves many of the mixes on Soundcloud. (Depends on whatever they used to save the file, and whatever format they uploaded.)

mononoaware

Addicted to Fun and Learning
despite the 'pro' in the model name.

I believe Edifier models with RCA and XLR inputs receive their “Pro” designation.
e.g. S2000Pro, S3000Pro have RCA and XLR inputs, while the S2000MKiii has only RCA.

I just checked, and where it gets confusing is with their expensive Airpulse line-up.
A100 has RCA only, while A200 and A300 models have RCA and XLR inputs.
A300Pro has XLR inputs as well but with the Active monitor design (one XLR cable goes to each speaker) which is what I assume makes it “Pro”.

phoenixsong

Subjective, so many comments saying the S3000 Pro is "too expensive."
S3000 Pro has USB input. S2000 does not, most models do not. (There are other differences - amplifiers. and volume control that Amir referred to.)
I have S3000 Pro.

Image/s of Chinese ads posted show that S2000 MKIII does not have the sloped front baffle.
And has remote identical to S3000 Pro - so I assume with same DSP presets labels: Monitor, Dynamic, Classic, Vocals. I think of it as active/adjustable crossover/voicing. Monitor and Dynamic are obvious enough, Classic they say means "classic or typical hi-fi voicing." I find that Dynamic improves many of the mixes on Soundcloud. (Depends on whatever they used to save the file, and whatever format they uploaded.)
Edifier S2000MKIII vs Edifier S3000PRO || Sound & Frequency Response Comparison - YouTube
Not wholly subjective, from the graphs the S2000mkiii is flatter in frequency response than the S3000pro. Although how accurate these measurements are is up for contention :p
The S2000mkiii definitely sounds more natural to me too through my setup, but it is too inundated with variables to draw any useful conclusions from

jcbenten

I have the S1000DB...not the last word in resolution and refinement but they are fun, a lot of connections, and are perfect in the garage. Hooked up to Alexa they are great to listen to Radio Paradise as I putter about.

I, too, am interested in the Air Pulse line. Good reviews on other sites but not the plethora of measurements that are generated here.

phoenixsong

I have the S1000DB...not the last word in resolution and refinement but they are fun, a lot of connections, and are perfect in the garage. Hooked up to Alexa they are great to listen to Radio Paradise as I putter about.

I, too, am interested in the Air Pulse line. Good reviews on other sites but not the plethora of measurements that are generated here.
Not just here :)
AIRPULSE - Blog - Airpulse A300 Review - www.soundonsound.com (airpulsepro.com)
Definitely has a treble peak, the smaller models are lighter in the lower frequencies and tilted towards the treble as well

Katji

Major Contributor
Edifier S2000MKIII vs Edifier S3000PRO || Sound & Frequency Response Comparison - YouTube
Not wholly subjective, from the graphs the S2000mkiii is flatter in frequency response than the S3000pro. Although how accurate these measurements are is up for contention :p
The S2000mkiii definitely sounds more natural to me too through my setup, but it is too inundated with variables to draw any useful conclusions from
:eek:
:) Well, the S2000 was never an option for me, because no USB input. (Same problem with AirPulse range - only one of them has USB. (Which might've changed now with the newer Pro versions.)
Not sure but afaik the S2000 driver is smaller than the S3000 6.5". S3000 has higher amp output. ...It definitely changed my idea of getting a subwoofer in this flat.

Although how accurate these measurements are is up for contention :p
Yes, I want to see ASR meaurements...although now I'm less optimistic about it.
// Never mind, all I really need now is some absorber panels behind my head.

akarma

Monitor preset is the most accurate but you can turn it on only with remote control. Vocal mode is active by defoult. I don't know what mode was used for measurements in that review

Katji

Major Contributor
Tweeter mountain range response is likely the waveguide design, does it have any curve to it or is just an inverted sports marker cone?
[...]
There's some curve. with its simple shape, it doesn't look like they ran a bunch of simulations to perfect it, like the current JBL stuff.
They do use Klippel NFS laser scanner, but details I don't know.

Edifier28.jpg

Edifier24.jpg

Edifier25.jpg

Very interesting...
A visit to Edifier’s factory in Shenzhen /Dongguan
(R&D facility is somewhere else, another region, access to beautiful nature /hiking trails, lakes, etc., more attractive to best engineers, etc. It is mentioned in the video interview.)

Also the video interview with the founder/CEO. https://www.kitguru.net/peripherals...its-down-with-edifier-chairman-wendong-zhang/

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They do use Klippel NFS, but details I don't know.
As it can be seen in the linked text and photo they use the Klippel laser scanner which is usually used for driver optimisation which is not their NFS though, those are very different products for different tasks and targets.

GWolfman

Forum Donor
Thanks!

I had considered these in the past...

Remlab

Forum Donor
As an interesting aside, Edifier owns the Stax headphone company.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Did you have the remote control? This speaker has four EQ modes, DSP, only selectable on the remote, which one did you use for measurements?
The speaker might use the last EQ preset selected, if no reselection is done via the remote.

Ok, so no way of knowing which DSP EQ preset was used. This speaker actually have a DSP implementation.

"Equalization helped fair bit indicating that if they had done this in the on board DSP, they would have had a winner on their hands."
@amirm They do use the onboard DSP.

Monitor preset is the most accurate but you can turn it on only with remote control. Vocal mode is active by defoult. I don't know what mode was used for measurements in that review

Well, that really mucks things up.

Whoever the owner is, can you supply Amir with the remote so he can re-measure with the "flat" mode so we know for sure which mode is represented in this test? I blew through the data and didn't realize there were DSP options until you guys mentioned it. I know re-measuring isn't something Amir likes to do but I think it is warranted as it's not a fair shake with an unknown DSP mode and the audience doesn't even know which mode they're looking at.

Edit: Or at least supply the remote to verify the mode engaged during measurement.

Last edited:

MrOtto

The DSP EQ preset is only visible through x number of blinking by the display which shows which input is selected, when you select the EQ preset on the remote. No way of knowing which preset is selceted by looking on the display of the speaker during operation.

Katji

Major Contributor
Well, that really mucks things up.

Whoever the owner is, can you supply Amir with the remote so he can re-measure with the "flat" mode so we know for sure which mode is represented in this test? I blew through the data and didn't realize there were DSP options until you guys mentioned it. I know re-measuring isn't something Amir likes to do but I think it is warranted as it's not a fair shake with an unknown DSP mode and the audience doesn't even know which mode they're looking at.
Yes, agreed.
The post you replied to said the default at power-on is Vocals but a previous post said...something else, but it was not the Monitor preset.

They certainly make a big difference [listening] with S3000 Pro - which has the same preset labels. I suppose the DSP [chip] is the same TI TLV320AIC3268.
I have to click the volume down 10 clicks and up 3 or 4 every time, I usually select Monitor too.

Katji

Major Contributor
Last edited:

wwenze

Major Contributor
The MKII & MKIII are different models than the one tested (Pro). I'm under the impression that MKIII should be the best of the 2000 series, would like to see that reviewed here as well.

I'm under the impression that MKII = Pro as far as outer appearances are concerned. But with changeable DSP these days, who really knows.

The MKIII's tweeter's response is still rather uneven as far as I can tell... but that's near field. At 50cm it is much better.

Capture.PNG

While that can certainly be EQ-ed away like as done in #6, I have my question: Is it possible that the unevenness is caused by the weird plastic thingy in front of the tweeter which results in comb effect, and is spinorama near field affected or immune to that?

Last edited:
Top Bottom