• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Edifier S2000 Pro Review (Powered Monitor)

Ultrasonic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Why are you using an RCA to XLR cable when the speakers have RCA inputs?

Signal level from RCA to XLR shouldn't be an issue though, as RCA is lower amplitude.

BEsosturu

While streaming via bluetooth , it has some audible distortion at high volume, mostly in high frequencies, via rca connection from phone, this distortion is minimal, but still feel something lacks in sound, basically how you guys stream lossless, should i get dac and which connection?

MrOtto

Why are you using an RCA to XLR cable when the speakers have RCA inputs?

Signal level from RCA to XLR shouldn't be an issue though, as RCA is lower amplitude.
I need two RCA inputs, for RIAA, and external DAC, so my E30 is connected with RCA to XLR cables. I can't hear the distortion anymore, maybe the lower voltage of the RCA output on the E30 did the trick. I'm using my XLR DAC in another setup anyway. Not wasting anymore resources on S2000 Pro, they are on the way out, replaced by NC252MP + Wharfedale Diamond 225.

@BEsosturu I use an external DAC, because when I played 24/96 FLAC from my Chromecast Audio to the optical input on S2000 Pro, I had distinct distortion on higher frequencies. Nothing with E30 DAC to S2000 pro when CCA is connected to the Topping E30.

Walter

Not wasting anymore resources on S2000 Pro, they are on the way out, replaced by NC252MP + Wharfedale Diamond 225.
Please post your impressions in this thread when you have the new system. Due to very limited selection where I live, I'm considering both the S2000MKIII and Wharfedale 12.0 or 12.1. So similar, although not exactly the same.

MrOtto

Used Infinity Primus 150 for 30-50 bucks sounds significantly better than Edifier...
This statement should start with "I have owned both Edifier S2000 Pro and Infinity Primus 150 and" to be useful.

MrOtto

When using RCA inputs, DSP modes are available, means signal is converted ADC, then DAC and then goes to amp. But when using XLR input, DSP modes are not available to use via remote means no DSP and no ADC-DAC?

Edit: For XLR inputs, it still needs ADC, because the amplifier chips has a DAC built in because it's digital input, and DAC before the class-D amplification?

What a mess active speakers are.

Last edited:

MrOtto

A nice rundown of the specifications:

HiFi Classic Concepts Cutting Edge Technology
For the first time, Edifier has brought cutting edge sound technology to a classic style. Edifier’s S2000Pro bookshelf speakers pays tribute to the speakers from the past with the elegant side wood panelling. These speakers elevate the classic style of bookshelf speakers to the next level of sound with modern sensibilities and advancements. The S2000Pro bookshelf speakers are the perfect blend of classic design and high performance. Edifier paid much attention to detail with the time-consuming process of wood processing seen on these hi-tech bookshelf speakers. The S2000pro gives you the feeling of luxury and edgy all at the same time.
Professionalism, Elegance, Luxury
Matte black paint with luxurious wood baffle plate, metallic surface grill, and gold pads underneath. S2000Pro exudes elegance and demands to be the centre of attention with both its style and sound. Genuine birch sideboards add quality accents that compliment any décor. The S2000pro appeals to old and young with its perfectly blended style and professional quality. The elegance of these bookshelf speakers personifies itself, allowing for a poised and confident demeaner.
Thick Wood Side Panels
The S2000PRO has an elegant wood veneer that encaptures the beauty of the cabinent. Angled design allows for pinpoint accuracy for audio setups. Raised feet allows for audio to emit directly from the speaker and limited vibrations through the surface.
Rich Low-Distorted Treble
The S2000Pro comes equipped with a rich low-distorted flat diaphragm tweeter. The flat diaphragm provides a fast response rate that gives inherent advantages such as excellent high frequencies that lower tiered bookshelf speakers do not provide. Enjoy the advantages of a flat diaphragm that provides a fast response rate. Moreover, enjoy the advantage of excellent high frequencies.
Aluminium Cone Woofer
The high-strength low-distortion from the aluminium cone makes sounds unique and clear. The S2000Pro bookshelf speakers take advantage of the DSP digital electronic crossover thanks to the help of German engineering from the KLIPPEL precise analysis system. This system is used so that the metal aspects of these speakers do not emit the sound of metal meanwhile taking advantages of the metal aspects. The energy absorbing rubber hemming results in giving the 5.5-inch aluminium cone woofer a precise, clean, and low-frequency performance. Audiophile components help to represent top of the line powered bookshelf speakers any reviewer would love.
DSP-Based Electronic Crossover and Dynamic Management
The S2000Pro uses an application of new electro-acoustic technology. Taking advantage of two Texas Instruments digital processing DSP chips, TLV320AIC3254, the S2000Pro uses its miniDSP function to reach the culmination of incredibly loud and heavy bass. Independent of the electronic crossover and dynamic management, the S2000Pro offers precise control of frequency allocation for the bookshelf loudspeaker performance.
Digital-to-Analogue and Analogue-to-Digital Converter Signal
The onboard DAC (digital-to-analogue conversion) and ADC (analogue-to-digital conversion) of the S2000Pro has a built-in officially branded Burr-Brown PCM1802 Texas Instrument. The Burr-Brown DAC and ADC uses audio signalling that reaches towards 105dB signal to noise ratio (SNR). The analogue input signal uses traditional HiFi methods that are recognised by WIMA capacitors. This in turn ensures a lower signal loss. As for optical and coaxial inputs, the interface chip, PCM9211 also from Burr-Brown, supports a 24-bit 216-kHz high precision input digital audio signal.
Adjustable Treble, Bass, and Volume Controls
Located on the rear panel of the S2000Pro speakers are three knobs for adjusting treble, bass and, volume; a fully featured set of controls and inputs. The master volume knob has precision adjustment and memory volume control set above a certain volume level. RCA inputs are available for both RCA and RCA to AUX connections. Experience high definition audio through either the optical or coaxial connection. XLR inputs allow you to connect the S2000Pro to a mixer for those more advanced in audio technology. Comes with 16-foot/5-metre connecting cable. The studio monitor knobs are easy to access and clearly legible.
Four On-Board EQ Settings
Change the sound of your speakers at the press of a button. The S2000Pro has four on-board EQ settings: vocal, monitor, classic, and dynamic. Swap between 4 different EQ settings at will, perfect for getting the most out of your speakers. Vocal for performances, monitor for electronic music, classic for classical music and dynamic for watching movies or playing games. The diversity of sound these studio monitors deliver makes your listening experience all the more fun and enjoyable. The S2000Pro makes it easy for audiophiles to show off their hi-tech professional sounding bookshelf speakers.
Full Digital Amplifier Powered Speaker
S2000Pro uses three professional digital amplifier chips for producing the best sound in its class. The TAS5754 from Texas Instruments run independently from each other ensuring they do not cause interference while running their respective purpose. The first chip is in control of treble and bass, respectively driving both speakers. The second chip runs strictly the woofers of the S2000Pro using a PBTL (parallel to the bridge) connection which helps build power reserves. The last TAS5754 is dedicated to the amplifier output frequency of 768KHz. With the dedicated chip these speakers are fully optimise to reduce high frequency distortion and local noise.
Supports Up To 192KHz Sampling Rate
Edifier strives for audio excellence in all products. All our products need to meet a standard of quality with low distortion audio playback and must achieve a high sample rate. The S2000Pro from Edifier is the epitome of all of Edifier’s HiFi audio equipment. The S2000Pro digital audio interfaces with a digital audio signal of 24-BIT 192KHz to meet the needs of enthusiasts demanding signal reproduction. The S2000Pro does not simply pursue a high rate signal level. The S2000Pro is designed from the start with low-distortion tweeters and woofers to make a truly system-level "low distortion."
Remote Control
The S2000Pro comes packaged with a professional wireless remote control for easy volume control, input select, EQ mode selection along with other operations. Never get up from your couch for audio adjustments again. The elegant S2000Pro bookshelf speaker wireless remote control gives you power at your fingertips and are well suited for the studio monitor bookshelf speakers. The control makes it easy to manage volume, change inputs, choose which EQ mode you prefer, and control other operations.
Status Indicator
The S2000Pro status indicator is a convenient way to understand the mode your speakers are in. The indicator clearly labels the input it is currently set in. The simplicity of the design presents a level of professionalism that Edifier works so hard to achieve.
5-PIN Professional Edifier Connection
The S2000Pro uses a unique five-pin connector made by Edifier. The connector is made with special care to separate treble and bass signal transmission, as well as, reduce interference. Professional transparent black metallic yarn with length up to 16-feet.
Bluetooth 4.0 aptX Decoder
The S2000Pro uses state-of-the-art CSR8645 chipset for Bluetooth 4.0 connection. With a built-in aptX decoder, the S2000Pro generates lossless Bluetooth playback. Enjoy the full quality sound from your laptop, phone, tablet or computer.

Katji

Major Contributor
When using RCA inputs, DSP modes are available, means signal is converted ADC, then DAC and then goes to amp. But when using XLR input, DSP modes are not available to use via remote means no DSP and no ADC-DAC?

Edit: For XLR inputs, it still needs ADC, because the amplifier chips has a DAC built in because it's digital input, and DAC before the class-D amplification?

What a mess active speakers are.

Others use analog input amplifier, like TPA3251.
Like S3000PRO:

1651930297932.png

Last edited:

MrOtto

The S2000 Pros are packed away and a Denon PMA-1500R, Topping E30 (with CCA connected) and a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 225 has taken over. No more ADC to DAC silliness. Testing the built in RIAA also. Been using a Emotiva XPS-1.

Most obvious difference is that these can play much louder without sounding strained, distorted. Same bass capability seems to be present. Also seems to be better dispersion and room-filling capability.

Attachments

• IMG_20220511_123238~2.jpg
    IMG_20220511_123238~2.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_20220511_115402~2.jpg
    IMG_20220511_115402~2.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 116
  • Screenshot_20220508-200343.jpg
    Screenshot_20220508-200343.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 123

Katji

Major Contributor
digital electronic crossover thanks to the help of German engineering from the KLIPPEL precise analysis system. This system is used so that the metal aspects of these speakers do not emit the sound of metal meanwhile taking advantages of the metal aspects
This bullshit again. smfh.

Katji

Major Contributor
:) ^^^ Logic doesn't do well in the audiophile context.
My opinion of Edifier is slightly lower now, since I saw that. ...My Edifier S3000 tweeters appear to be perforated metal.

...Not perforated, mesh:

1652282038715.png

MrOtto

I really recommend all Edifier S2000 Pro owners to switch to Wharfedale Diamond 225 speakers and perhaps an Aiyima A07 amp and a Topping E30 or Aiyima DAC. The Diamond 225 are so much better. There are just more levels the tweeter can accuratly present in vocals amd the bass is just as good, if not better. And the soundstage, much wider, the first that strikes you.
Billie Eilish tracks " Your Power" and "Male Fantasy" is a joy to listen to. First passive standmount speaker I have owned which really has a punch in the bass.

Walter

I really recommend all Edifier S2000 Pro owners to switch to Wharfedale Diamond 225 speakers and perhaps an Aiyima A07 amp and a Topping E30 or Aiyima DAC. The Diamond 225 are so much better. There are just more levels the tweeter can accuratly present in vocals amd the bass is just as good, if not better. And the soundstage, much wider, the first that strikes you.
Billie Eilish tracks " Your Power" and "Male Fantasy" is a joy to listen to. First passive standmount speaker I have owned which really has a punch in the bass.
They are better in YOUR room with YOUR associated equipment. That is good information to have and unlike some here, I'm glad you shared it, but it does not guarantee they will always sound better in other environments.

Katji

Major Contributor
^^^ Aside from that, it is a step backwards, if losing the speaker cables and interconnects and DAC and amp were a step forward. [NOTE: Yes, subjective. But for quite a while, I sometimes felt quite smug and smiley about it.] [oh, btw, Edifier says they use Transparent Cable wire in the AirPulse range. ...Little 10cm pieces of it.]

I have also Edifier S3000 Pro. Does the S 3000 perform better in tests than the 2000 version?
Never seen any such tests of S3000 PRO. I wish I had / I mean I wish there were.

Last edited:

MrOtto

Going for less sound quality because it's more convenient is a step backwards.

LS50 Wireless II for $3000, they are all hype. I can't believe people spend this kind of money for so little sound quality.

I've compared Edifier S2000 Pro and my current setup in the same room, there is no competition.

Btw. my S2000 Pro had the longest and fattest speaker wire I have ever owned.

Last edited:
Top Bottom