• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Edifier s 3000 pro...what u think?

Oukkidoukki

I have been eye balling these.....I don’t have them. I would like to know your opinion if you have them (or even if u dont have). There is youtube videos...sound is getting close to high end setups (in my ears at least) and the price is not. Also, if you have info about similar setups coming from other manufacturers, let me know....thanks!

hrseldon

I use the first generation of that series. Edifier 1000s . I'd say it's almost from another leage for that price range. Very detailed and natural sound. Top quality contruction.

Tough 3000 pro has wireless connection between the speakers . I'd say that's unneccesary unless cables are big big problem. I'd go with 2000pro and save money.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
At that price point, you might want to consider buying a pair JBL 306P MkII or 308MKII and add a BT 5.0, AptX HD receiver instead.

Amazon and BHPhoto has some offers for the JBL every few months.

At least people will know how the JBL's sound relative to higher end speakers. Not so sure about the Edifier's comparatively though.

morespinach

At that price point, you might want to consider buying a pair JBL 306P MkII or 308MKII and add a BT 5.0, AptX HD receiver instead.

Amazon and BHPhoto has some offers for the JBL every few months.

At least people will know how the JBL's sound relative to higher end speakers. Not so sure about the Edifier's comparatively though.

I’m in the same decision mode. Which BT receiver do you suggest in this price range? I wonder if the lack of cable spaghetti and bass extension will be matched by the system you suggest. But open to ideas.

The 308 mkII is 300 bucks CAD on amazon.ca. For one speaker. So 600 bucks right there for the two speakers needed. Bass is 112 watts, while Edifier 3000 Pro has 256 watts and is at 800 bucks. This doesn’t seem to be in the same league at all.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited:

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Kali has this one. Pretty elegant.
Screenshot_20200217-005238.png

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Depends on whether if you consider XLR outputs are important. If not a Topping D50s, DX3Pro is plenty good for such.
If you want XLR, maybe the SMSL M500. ?

The power lines + signal lines may be a bit of a bother for some people. But frankly, its a matter of which is a greater priority and to a large extent the intended context of use too.

morespinach

Depends on whether if you consider XLR outputs are important. If not a Topping D50s, DX3Pro is plenty good for such.
If you want XLR, maybe the SMSL M500. ?

The power lines + signal lines may be a bit of a bother for some people. But frankly, its a matter of which is a greater priority and to a large extent the intended context of use too.

Thanks. Yes, XLR is important to make a setup comparable to Edifier S3000pro.
So:

- JBL 308 MK II speakers — cad 600
- SMSL M500 — cad 120
- Subwoofer — perhaps JBL — cad 500

That’s as expensive as the 3000Pro with lot more cable, and the SMSL is a questionable dac, not the best. The Kali above doesn’t have xlr.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
The comparable JBL's are the 306P for similar driver size. I got my pair on a freak sale for US$172 / PAIR of Adorama.com

If you find the regular price for the 306P to be a little higher than you wish to pay, there is also the highly rated Kali LP-6, they are regularly sold at US$149 each. But I have yet to see a sale for them.

The SMSL M500 DAC is definitely not at the price you're quoting here.

Its this:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/smsl-m500-dac-and-hp-amp-review.9606/

Shenzhen Audio quotes a non-sale price of US$399/-. DHL shipping included.
https://shenzhenaudio.com/collectio...z-dsd512-hi-res-audio-dac-headphone-amplifier

They do drop to about US$350 if there is a sale.

Edit Addendum:

To add, if you're willing to pay that kind of money for the S3000pro, I would suggest taking a closer look at their Airpulse A300.
Its their most expensive model and supposedly their most refined from what I have seen off Chinese forum discussions.

Last edited:

morespinach

The comparable JBL's are the 306P for similar driver size. I got my pair on a freak sale for US$172 / PAIR of Adorama.com

If you find the regular price for the 306P to be a little higher than you wish to pay, there is also the highly rated Kali LP-6, they are regularly sold at US$149 each. But I have yet to see a sale for them.

The SMSL M500 DAC is definitely not at the price you're quoting here.

Its this:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/smsl-m500-dac-and-hp-amp-review.9606/

Shenzhen Audio quotes a non-sale price of US$399/-. DHL shipping included.
https://shenzhenaudio.com/collectio...z-dsd512-hi-res-audio-dac-headphone-amplifier

They do drop to about US$350 if there is a sale.

Edit Addendum:

To add, if you're willing to pay that kind of money for the S3000pro, I would suggest taking a closer look at their Airpulse A300.
Its their most expensive model and supposedly their most refined from what I have seen off Chinese forum discussions.

Thanks, but airpulse doesn’t have all that functionality and perhaps is a bit too high. The price number in my post are CAD, Canadian dollars. So the numbers match — yours are in USD.

Let me do the math with 306, but the woofers are smaller in those. The S3000pro has 6.5” ones.

Im not hung up on Edifier I suppose but the lack of cables and the stunning all rounded sound of the R2000DB that brought a lot of music to life from tidal for me has changed my mind.

morespinach

Thanks for the LP-6 recommendation. That’s surely worth a look. Which has also led to the Gelenec 8040b. If there were to be deals for those they sound like a super set. Thanks.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Thanks for the LP-6 recommendation. That’s surely worth a look. Which has also led to the Gelenec 8040b. If there were to be deals for those they sound like a super set. Thanks.

Subscribe to mailers from Amazon, Sweetwater and Adorama, they do pop up decent deals once a month or so.

You can check our the reviews for the 306P and the LP-6, the 306P is a bit of a mixed bag depending on where you read the reviews, the LP-6 are generally well reviewed in almost all I've come across.

BTW, the thing about driver size is that, not all are created equal. Ultimately in speakers, its the frequency response that matters. Not purely looking at driver size or "rated power" as many distort really badly at their maximum rated power outputs. Some of the really well made 1.5' sized speakers can sound "bigger" and more articulate than some of those poorly made 3' tall floor standers.

I have not heard the S3000pro's personally, so I can't tell how good or short of good they are comparatively.

The 8040B's are a completely different realm of pricing altogether. You almost never get good discounts on Genelec's unless they are long phased out models.

morespinach

The 8040B's are a completely different realm of pricing altogether. You almost never get good discounts on Genelec's unless they are long phased out models.

Thank you. Yes I realize when I look at YouTube videos which have more realistic sizes of these giants in real world contexts that Kali LP-8, Adam A8x and Genelec 8040 may be too large for small apartments. So now I’m looking at the following.

Adam Audio A7x
Kali LP-6
Genelec 8030b/c

Price wise the Genelec and Adam are much higher. I suppose Kali is so aggressively priced to create a market given their newness.

The big thing for me is to ensure a Mac Mini or a dedicated music player can power these well, by sending high resolution source material. Any recommendation for DACs or something (like DacMagic, or the more expensive RME ADI-2?) or should I hope the Mac source from Tidal will be enough for these monsters?

Much appreciate these forums for these high quality pointers. Amazon keeps harping on Micca, Edifier, Mackies. I understand and appreciate their appeal but fortunately now am in a position to “graduate” upward. Thanks for sweet water, Adorama, etc.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Some of the popular and well appraised powered speakers have RCA input plugs it seems.

So if you are unwilling to go into DAC's yet, its possible to connect them up with your Mac's audio line-out plug with a cable that has dual RCA output plugs.

Maybe you can consider looking into that for starters ? (Check the speakers you're looking at have those inputs )

Who knows, the sound quality may already meet your needs just using that?

Edit:
Corrected to RCA plugs

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

morespinach

A possibly cheaper but still great alternative to the 8030 and 8040 are the recently discontinued Genelec M030 and M040 which have very similar tech and quality, just composite instead of aluminium casings.
https://www.genelec.com/previous-models/m030a
https://www.genelec.com/previous-models/m040

Thank you. Yes the M040 has come up in searches and reviews. But I couldn’t find it on Sweetwater etc. Now I know why. There discontinued :)

This is such a rabbit hole. Now I’ve discovered HEDD Type 07 too; from the maker of A7X etc at Adam Audio. It comes highly reviewed and it a bit more forgiving at distance. I want to use these for listening; not mixing. Will have to find ways to listen to them.

Top Bottom