• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Edifier R1280T Powered Speaker Review

Yuno

it would be interesting to see if there is any EQ already applied in the speakers amplifier. fortunately there is a nice Output begging for the analyzer
I checked edifier international page, they don't mention using DSP on their product page for this speaker, so probably not. They do mention it on their next model - r1600tiii as well as on r1700bt. Would be nice to get one of those two measured as well. For whatever reason, r1600 tiii doesn't seem to be available in US amazon, instead next model being the one with bt that costs $150.
I own r1600 tiii by the way, bought it like 4 years ago for around $120, my by ear impressions are basically: great sounding at price range and speaker size, but wish it was bit more linear, especially in the low end. I apply -2db bass on the controls and use foam pads to make it a bit more bearable. That said, they make for great multimedia speakers, and somewhat acceptable music speakers. And as opposed to lsr305, don't hiss like crazy.

akarma

it would be interesting to see if there is any EQ already applied in the speakers amplifier

No DSP and no EQ at all. It is easy to understand when looking at graphs above. Just 3.3 cap on tweeter

Milesian

curious about using them for TV, is there anyway for the TV remote to control the volume on these? i've got a pair sitting around doing nothing, would like to replicate what you're doing, but don't want to have to juggle so many remote controls.

i have an optical output running from the TV into a cheap little FiiO D3 DAC. ($34Can on Amazon). Then RCA’s from DAC to Edifiers. I prefer that setup to the Sonos Playbar which got downgraded to a kitchen speaker. Nope can’t control with TV remote, but it’s worth the minor inconvenience of another remote. It’s nice having two RCA inputs on the speaker. I use one for the TV and one for the ROON endpoint.

Last edited:

ishouldbeking

Chiming in with several years of real world experience with the bluetooth-equipped variant, the 1280DB: subjectively, they sound good to my ear and are incredibly usable for the price. They've also held up quite well to constant abuse from my kids, who have knocked them off the nightstand, yanked cables, and twirled every knob. I use these in my bedroom as cheap TV speakers via optical input (compensating for horrible stock speakers in my cheap but otherwise excellent TCL flatscreen) and for, uh, bedroom music via bluetooth. Bluetooth implementation is quite basic (no obvious way to switch from one device to another), but it's easy enough to work with. I don't have any in-line EQ so just tend to tinker with the onboard EQ knobs. Obviously difficult to be precise, but some mild tinkering gets me usable sound for my purposes.

Interestingly, the remote to my Amazon Fire Stick 4K works quite well on these (it's more responsive than the stock cheapo remote), although there's a weird effect whenever I use the built-in Alexa functionality (speaking into the remote's mic): when it switches out of listening mode, I'd say about 60% of the time it changes speaker input mode, which then necessitates a few button pushes to get it back in TV mode. Just a random quirk of the remote functionality, and a minor annoyance. But still, no major issues for the price.

Zerohour

not entirely surprised to see the measurements, but I suppose it comes with the price.

I got the R1700BT for around usd$85 and thought it was a steal (after some tweaks to the bass treble), been using it as my PC speaker. Not sure how the DSP works tho. Really want to upgrade to the Kali LP6, but the size scares me a bit.

PuX

I don't really understand the logic behind recommending it, except for price.

It's cheap and maybe it can be made listenable with EQ, but isn't the same true for cheap monitor speakers? Like Yamaha, JBL, KRK etc. Those would be decent out of the box, although maybe a bit more expensive.

Here's the cheapest pair of monitor speakers I found:
https://www.amazon.com/PreSonus-Eris-E3-5-Professional-Multimedia/dp/B075QVMBT9/

I guess it's a lower end model of the same brand as in this review https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s/presonus-e5-xt-active-speaker-review.13436/

more options:
https://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-10-Watt-Compact-Monitor-Speakers/dp/B00X741TKG
https://www.amazon.com/Alesis-Elevate-MKII-Powered-Speakers/dp/B01MUY2470

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
oops. Thanks.

Milesian

I don't really understand the logic behind recommending it, except for price.

It's cheap and maybe it can be made listenable with EQ, but isn't the same true for cheap monitor speakers? Like Yamaha, JBL, KRK etc. Those would be decent out of the box, although maybe a bit more expensive.

Here's the cheapest pair of monitor speakers I found:
https://www.amazon.com/PreSonus-Eris-E3-5-Professional-Multimedia/dp/B075QVMBT9/

I guess it's a lower end model of the same brand as in this review https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s/presonus-e5-xt-active-speaker-review.13436/

more options:
https://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-10-Watt-Compact-Monitor-Speakers/dp/B00X741TKG
https://www.amazon.com/Alesis-Elevate-MKII-Powered-Speakers/dp/B01MUY2470
The logic behind recommending it, is it sounds bloody good period. And the fact it’s cheap is a bonus. Of course it’s not SOTA, but fed with a decent source, it is enjoyable and musical.

modes

A bit surprising that these didn't get trounced tbh. I got a pair when they were released for 50€ and even for this low price the value is questionable. The Lsr305 are so much more tolerable for only 4x the price :d

Fun fact: While the amp doesn't implement any eq they've instanced a steep highpass filter around 50ish hz. That may have something to do with them not falling apart with increased volume.

Last edited:

Yuno

A bit surprising that these didn't get trounced tbh. I got a pair when they were released for 50€ and even for this low price the value is questionable. The Lsr305 are so much more tolerable for only 4x the price :d
And 4x the hiss. I just could not tolerate using lsr305 in near field with the constant hissing no matter how well they sounded when music was covering amplifier hiss.

Phenolablation

Thank you so much for your great review. I was curious, I have a pair of these on my desktop at work and I very much enjoy their sound. What would be a equivalent larger room size bookshelf speaker that could reproduce the sound on a larger scale for my living room area?

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Thanks for reviewing these, @amirm. Looks like these are a nice Swiss Army knife to recommend to people just starting out -- built-in preamp, remote, two inputs; BT and digital inputs on the DB model.

Are the bass and treble EQ dials on the speaker useful for getting closer to neutral? Most of the target market is likely going to be limited to using these controls.

ehabheikal

Wow, these speakers can go down to $70 and they managed to please Amir M without having Revel tier performance?

What else have you been growing in that garden Amir that you aren't showing us :p ?

Actually what you are implying greatly affects subjective opinions and I make sure i am not "medicated" to critically listen to a new speaker, like i am doing now :)

Top Bottom