• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Edifier R1280T Powered Speaker Review

Maiky76

Hi Amir, and thanks for this review!

What was the slope of your 10.000 Hz low-pass?

Here is a quick comparison of the EQ @amirm came up with.
Edifier R1280T ON-LW-PIR Zoom Amirm.png

Edifier R1280T Spinorama EQ Amirm.png

Edifier R1280T EQ Design Amirm.png

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I smashed through my "speaker killer" tracks without falling apart. It has excellent bass that doesn't fall apart even at elevated levels with a single speaker playing. Track after track sounded good no matter what the genre. I have had much more expensive speaker with flatter on-axis response that fail such tests because they run out of power and bottom out/distort heavily. Not the Edifier R1280. That little woofer seems to have good power handling plus proper low frequency tuning.
Would the results have been different if you had both speakers playing? After all, the amp for both speakers sits in the right speaker, so if you only had a single speaker playing, the amp wasn't being taxed as much.

Last edited:

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is it with a 30-degree offset (vertical performance simulated):

Preference Rating
SCORE: 3.1
SCORE w/ sub: 5.6
Screen Shot 2020-09-21 at 12.17.09 PM.png

Also, most people have these on a desk and not tilted up or at ear level, and if you look at the vertical directivity charts, the peaks at ~4kHz and ~8kHz correspond with dips when you go above the baffle, thus the response should be more neutral.

Last edited:

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
On the whole, fairly typical sub-$100 multimedia speaker (or micro stereo speaker) performance. A lone electrolytic as the "crossover", hence midwoofer breakup modes in all their glory and a fair bit of overlap that worsens vertical directivity. Probably about as good as a gets on the shoestring budget that they had though - skimping on the XO may have meant that they could use a 4" woofer than than just a 3-3.5". Horizontal directivity is fairly decent, which I guess is why the boss liked these (more so than I would have expected). Makes you wonder what they could do with a half-decent crossover.

gpauk

I must have missed this some while ago, but what is the parametric EQ program you are using there, Amir?
Thanks!

gpauk

Ah - part of Roon. Not much use then as I don't use or need Roon!
Thanks anyway....

Milesian

Picked up a pair of these off Amazon a few weeks ago to plug into my TV. Thought they sounded pretty good so threw a Pi on the secondary input with an SMSL Sanskrit 10 V2. Configured as a ROON endpoint and streaming Tidal they’re now part of my evening happy hour listening. For the price an absolute steal of a deal.

Last edited:

xarkkon

Picked up a pair of these off Amazon a few weeks ago to plug into my TV. Thought they sounded pretty good so threw a Pi on the secondary input with an SMSL Sanskrit 10 V2. Configured as a ROON endpoint and streaming Tidal they’re now part of my evening happy hour listening. For the price an absolute steal of a deal.
curious about using them for TV, is there anyway for the TV remote to control the volume on these? i've got a pair sitting around doing nothing, would like to replicate what you're doing, but don't want to have to juggle so many remote controls.

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
curious about using them for TV, is there anyway for the TV remote to control the volume on these?
Does your TV have RCA or headphone output? If so, I don't see why not.

it would be interesting to see if there is any EQ already applied in the speakers amplifier. fortunately there is a nice Output begging for the analyzer

Top Bottom