• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Edifier MR4 Review (Budget Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 21 7.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 86 29.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 143 49.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 39 13.5%

• Total voters

Saidera

Is there a difference between AUX input and Balanced TRS Input if one uses a splitter cable? Is the Balanced TRS attached to better chips/connections?

sthubbar

Thank you for the scientific approach and detailed information.

I have the Edifier MR4 speakers to amplify a Casio PX-S1100 digital piano.

The piano connects to the speakers via the RCA inputs, and will not use external EQ besides the Monitor/Music modes and the Hi/Lo trimmers.

Joe N Tell, at 5:05 recommends using Music mode and setting the Hi trimmer to full and the Lo trimmer to neutral.

Does this agree with the measurements from this forum?

radimsky

Just here to say I bought them in white. And guys, I bought them for 80 USD in white XD

So yeah, in my case, when it comes to value for money, I'm more then satisfied.

Also, I'm a total noob when it comes to monitors and this is my first pair after desktop speakers from Creative(Gigaworks T20 Series II which are probably collecting dust somewhere). Difference is colossal, especially when hooked up with RCA's.

Just want to brag a bit, sorry, very stocked to listen to them for hours coming <3

Neutronman

Nice review Amir, looks like I found a reasonably priced set of active speakers to go with my DX3pro+ for pc use.

I did have a question regarding the EQ settings that you and @Maiky76 used. Were the low and high dials set at zero when you set EQ?

Neutronman

Just here to say I bought them in white. And guys, I bought them for 80 USD in white XD

So yeah, in my case, when it comes to value for money, I'm more then satisfied.

Also, I'm a total noob when it comes to monitors and this is my first pair after desktop speakers from Creative(Gigaworks T20 Series II which are probably collecting dust somewhere). Difference is colossal, especially when hooked up with RCA's.

Just want to brag a bit, sorry, very stocked to listen to them for hours coming <3
Where did you find these for $80???

radimsky

Where did you find these for $80???
Summer sale on morele.net. Polish store, had them in white for 80 and black ones for over 90 USD. Normally these start at 100 USD.

goodkeys

building a 7.1.4 system. I have three LSR 305 for L C R channels. For the satellites, I need something a lot smaller than that. My choice is between the Edifier Mr4 and 1280. In my country, the MR4 cost 130$ for the pair. The 1280 are only 81$ per pair. Given that I need four pairs for my Atmos setup, is the MR4 worth the 200$ that they'd cost me more? Obviously I would eq the speakers as implied here.

jtk9412

Code:
Code:
Edifier MR4 APO EQ LW 96000Hz
December162021-135008

Preamp: -3.5 dB

Filter 1: ON HPQ Fc 67.70,    0.00,    1.23
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 605.59,    -2.88,    2.17
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 834.79,    1.95,    4.88
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 3245.43,    3.22,    1.45
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 6496.80,    2.52,    2.03
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 10470.00,    1.54,    3.32
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 13055.35,    -2.46,    4.75

Edifier MR4 APO EQ Score 96000Hz
December162021-134901

Preamp: -3.5 dB

Filter 1: ON HPQ Fc 67.70,    0.00,    1.23
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 612.59,    -3.35,    1.98
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 827.79,    1.95,    4.88
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 2955.45,    3.36,    3.15
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 6285.98,    2.27,    2.28
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 10478.50,    1.54,    4.99
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 13202.41,    -2.87,    2.67

Are those values better than this: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pierreaubert/spinorama/develop/datas/eq/Edifier MR4/iir-autoeq.txt

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Define 'better' - they end up with preference rating scores that are different, but not so different that a clear preference would be expected.
The preamble that you didn't quote explains the targets:
EQ design:

I have generated two EQs. The APO config files are attached.
  • The first one, labelled, LW is targeted at making the LW flat
  • The second, labelled Score, starts with the first one and adds the score as an optimization variable.
  • The EQs are designed in the context of regular stereo use i.e. domestic environment, no warranty is provided for a near field use in a studio environment although the LW might be better suited for this purpose.
  • Beware of the LF boost, you've been warned

Score EQ LW: 5.0
with sub: 7.8

Score EQ Score: 5.4
with sub: 8.0
while the autoeq'd one has preamble:
EQ for Edifier MR4 computed from ErinsAudioCorner data
Preference Score 3.5 with EQ 5.5
Generated from http://github.com/pierreaubert/spinorama/generate_peqs.py v0.16
Dated: 2022-11-16-07:42:59
The ones targeting the Preference Rating score end up with a similar score, but starting with measurements of a different speaker:
https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/edifier_mr4/
Compare the measurements and you'll see they aren't exactly the same. This could be unit to unit variation, different environmental conditions etc. so we can't say which would work better with your speakers in your room.

jtk9412

Define 'better' - they end up with preference rating scores that are different, but not so different that a clear preference would be expected.
The preamble that you didn't quote explains the targets:

while the autoeq'd one has preamble:

The ones targeting the Preference Rating score end up with a similar score, but starting with measurements of a different speaker:
https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/edifier_mr4/
Compare the measurements and you'll see they aren't exactly the same. This could be unit to unit variation, different environmental conditions etc. so we can't say which would work better with your speakers in your room.
I am just a regular guy who likes to listen music, watch videos and play some games when free, on a PC. Recently I don't use any subwoofer. My room is big and I have a ton of space behind me. I am using the speakers on a close range, they're just in front of me, near my PC monitor. When we consider those conditions, which settings would you recommend me to use? I'm sure your decision will make sense and be better for me, instead of me choosing a random one.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I am just a regular guy who likes to listen music, watch videos and play some games when free, on a PC. Recently I don't use any subwoofer. My room is big and I have a ton of space behind me. I am using the speakers on a close range, they're just in front of me, near my PC monitor. When we consider those conditions, which settings would you recommend me to use? I'm sure your decision will make sense and be better for me, instead of me choosing a random one.
There isn't a 'right' answer because they're all close enough to be within the bounds of uncertainty. Try them all and see which you prefer, or if you can even tell the difference.

crappypanther

FR looks like it's Focals 906, but for the poor)

Focal Aria 906 Bookshelf Stand mount speaker spinorama CEA2034 frequency response measurements.png

Edifier MR4 Measurements Frequency Response Studio Monitor Computer Speaker.png

Hewbacca

Came to do some research again since these are $90 on Edifier's site for Black Friday/Cyber Monday. My use case is the same as @sthubbar above; I want to use these as dedicated monitors for a digital piano. My chain is slightly more complicated but the end result shouldn't affect the speakers; I am using the piano as a MIDI controller feeding into a VST (virtual instrument) running on a PC, which is fed to a Focusrite audio interface and out to the monitors. I tried this setup with my JBL 305p MKIIs and it was outstanding, but they are too big for the space, and too powerful for something that is going to sit 3 feet from my ears.

I am hoping the MR4s will be ideal in this setup. If they are, I've created a digital piano with better tone generation (via VST) and better sound output (probably) than all in one pianos costing many thousands of dollars.

Will edit to add my impressions of the speakers when they arrive later this week.

Top Bottom