• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Edifier MR4 measurements (It's probably been upgraded.)

Saidera

Is there any difference between TRS and RCA input? TRS better or almost the same?

So um, the crosstalk graphs seem to suggest that balanced TRS connection is recommended perhaps?

Saidera

I know the MR4 speakers only started getting sold in Japan in December 2022. The original review was in December 2021. I'm assuming the change wasn't too recent, otherwise old stock is still circulating.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I hesitate to ask what is probably a truly dumb question, but ...

These are 'powered' speakers - one is amplified and the other is passive.
Is it at all possible to buy two pairs, and to use the two amplified speakers as an 'active' pair ... is there any point in trying that?

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So um, the crosstalk graphs seem to suggest that balanced TRS connection is recommended perhaps?

At ~12 kHz, the crosstalk using the unbalanced inputs is -61 dB versus -63 dB for the balanced inputs. I know I couldn't hear that difference at that frequency.

At ~3.5 kHz, the difference is -78 dB versus -82 dB, so way down in the noise.

Bleib

Major Contributor
I hesitate to ask what is probably a truly dumb question, but ...

These are 'powered' speakers - one is amplified and the other is passive.
Is it at all possible to buy two pairs, and to use the two amplified speakers as an 'active' pair ... is there any point in trying that?
I've had cheaper edifier speakers before. The amp was not silent so I took it out and made the other speaker passive as well.

munin

Nooooo... I want to try them now. But as I dn't have any measurement equipment, I will never know if I got the good version or not. :-(

Bleib

Major Contributor
Nooooo... I want to try them now. But as I dn't have any measurement equipment, I will never know if I got the good version or not. :-(
Some say there is only one version..

munin

Ok, so according to the answer Edifier gave me, they did not change anything in this speaker since they are produced:

Kate You (Edifier)

Apr 23, 2023, 02:17 GMT-5

Hi Gerard

Thank you for reaching out.

As for your enquiry about our MR4 speakers, we have not updated them since they were put on the market. Their frequency response range is 60Hz-20KHz.

I have attached the user mabnual for your reference, and please let us know if you need further assistance.

Kind regards
Kate You
Customer Support
Edifier - A Passion for Sound and Customer Experience

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Interesting how they Photoshop'd the speaker into this image in which the "engineer" is wearing headphones. And also a handgun? Never can be too careful in some genres, I suppose. Gangsta!

2021101511174116342678619456.jpg

Antz123

@Steve Dallas Just for fun I found the original image

image1_522cb577-93b5-4f52-bbb9-0eb936cbab93.jpg

dasdoing

Major Contributor
@Steve Dallas Just for fun I found the original image

View attachment 281131

that's not the source, though

it's on 216 webpages https://www.google.com/search?tbs=s...1-e-qJxZdLpaw17_1LNHNaHUHvtfhPG4ru1RE3sDjp7jQ

this should be the source. and there are more pictures of the "gangsta" https://www.pexels.com/photo/man-working-inside-a-recording-studio-8197232/

pexels-photo-8197289.jpeg

Antz123

maxxevv

Major Contributor
These can be found for as low as US$65/- on Taobao, China's Amzon. In both Black and White options.

Got a set myself for my work desk.

As nearfield, low volume (loudness) speakers, they are superb as the measurements here suggest.

They are less than 2 feet away from my ears and the phantom center that they project is really impressive and realistic. Close your eyes and you actually don't " hear " where the speakers are. You have your recorded artistes sound like they are in front of you, the speakers just disappear acoustically like how good speakers should present their output.

To add, I just use a US$20/- Bluetooth receiver with a CSR8675 chip capable of LDAC processing and output to the speakers RCA connectors.

Really good desktop speakers for enjoying music at low volume. The bass does indeed get a little less controlled once its pushed into the " less than comfortable" listening loudness at close range. Not absolutely sure its the speakers or the Bluetooth receiver being the bottleneck here.

Saidera

The days of using Taobao are long gone for Australians. Having warranty and enforceable consumer guarantees is also a good thing, so let's buy locally
I really like MR4 and I recommend MR4 for any low-budget casual user who likes mastering or studio prosumer equipment. MR4 is good enough to allow me to easily hear the unique 'compressed sound', whereas the average very cheap set of consumer speakers normally like to blur it up and avoid presenting the audio 'honestly'. Just a random subjective comment.

BURNART

These can be found for as low as US$65/- on Taobao, China's Amzon. In both Black and White options.

Got a set myself for my work desk.

As nearfield, low volume (loudness) speakers, they are superb as the measurements here suggest.

They are less than 2 feet away from my ears and the phantom center that they project is really impressive and realistic. Close your eyes and you actually don't " hear " where the speakers are. You have your recorded artistes sound like they are in front of you, the speakers just disappear acoustically like how good speakers should present their output.

To add, I just use a US$20/- Bluetooth receiver with a CSR8675 chip capable of LDAC processing and output to the speakers RCA connectors.

Really good desktop speakers for enjoying music at low volume. The bass does indeed get a little less controlled once its pushed into the " less than comfortable" listening loudness at close range. Not absolutely sure its the speakers or the Bluetooth receiver being the bottleneck here.
What's the name of the bluetooth receiver?

Top Bottom