• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Edifier MR4 measurements (It's probably been upgraded.)

Lunartuna

I noticed when i found Amir's review that his measurements were nothing like what Edifier advertises with the product.

Interesting that Nuyes new measurements seem to mimic the ones Edifier uses for advertising the speaker.

Nuyes is here...
01.png

Edifier's is here...
Mr4 response.jpg

Both seem to indicate a small spike at 3khz instead of a dip as seen in Amir's review.
02.png

OP
Nuyes

Nuyes

Forum Donor
Reviewer
I noticed when i found Amir's review that his measurements were nothing like what Edifier advertises with the product.

Interesting that Nuyes new measurements seem to mimic the ones Edifier uses for advertising the speaker.

Nuyes is here... View attachment 287416

Edifier's is here...
View attachment 287415

Both seem to indicate a small spike at 3khz instead of a dip as seen in Amir's review.
View attachment 287417
IMG_7020.jpeg

The data for the three additional samples I measured afterward.

10.png

There will be deviations, but you may notice a trend.

Personally, I'm guessing that the initial sample that myself, Amir, and Erin measured was flawed.

Lunartuna

That is really interesting! Thanks for doing that. I wonder if the music mode FR will be different as well. At least to my ears, the pair i bought a month ago when music mode is on makes the vocal mids sound much more forward and low bass sounds fuller.

DenisA

Hello!
My new MR4 has a very low overall volume level, about 40 percent lower than the Eris 3.5.
To understand the difference, I recorded a file on the recorder. I turned down the volume on the audio interface, and turned the volume up to the maximum on Eris 3.5 and on MR4: https://disk.yandex.ru/d/-s8fo51iHqLw3w
Is this OK or is MP4 defective?
Thank you in advance!

DenisA

Which inputs are you using on the MR4? Note that their balanced TRS inputs should be about 12 dB less sensitive than the unbalanced RCA ones. The same may not be the case on the Eris.
On both monitors I used TRS input. I will try the RCA input.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i think this one poses and interesting question in that if you have two sets of these you could try the passive ones with a A07 etc

and you can use the two actives by themselves each with their own wall socket but given you only got 21w per and you can bridge them...

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had cheaper edifier speakers before. The amp was not silent so I took it out and made the other speaker passive as well.
Should one expect a low pass for the woofer or is the xover just a capacitor for the tweeter?

Bleib

Major Contributor
Should one expect a low pass for the woofer or is the xover just a capacitor for the tweeter?
Sorry been on vacation. Sorry, I don't know, I guess there are many constructions and they vary quite wildly. I just made sure that the active copied the insides of the passive speaker, not sure if the amp had DSP or something which made it more optimized for the drives. This is quite possible.
In any case it didn't sound worse with a ta2020 based T-amp. Like quite many Edifier it sounded pretty terrific but but quickly lost control over the distorsion at higher volume levels, so I just used them with the computer until I eventually sold them.

This was like 8 years or so ago, can't remember the model name. I guess it had a 4" woofer.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought a used r1240t, will take it apart and post pictures elsewhere. Haven't found a nice pair of MR4 for little money yet. People seem to hang on to them, which is a good sign.

SivKiv

Has anyone else been able to replicate measurements similar to this?

RPX

Hello everybody! This is my first post and question on the forum. How much knowledge am I acquiring here! Exceptional forum!

I would like to ask something because I didn't find a reference to this. Was this test on the MR4 done in monitoring mode with the 2 bass and treble controls at 0 (flat) or was some compensation made?

I purchased a pair of these speakers and I am amazed by the sound, really excellent value for money.

Thanks!

Bleib

Major Contributor
Would that not change the frequency response?
Well, they both still have their crossovers, not sure how much any DSP changed the sound but in both cases this particular model couldn't take a lot of volume be it active or passive. But it got quiet at least, and could sound pretty great at not too high volume levels

2cool4bae

Well, they both still have their crossovers, not sure how much any DSP changed the sound but in both cases this particular model couldn't take a lot of volume be it active or passive. But it got quiet at least, and could sound pretty great at not too high volume levels
Assuming you ran separate wires from the amp to the speakers? Similarly to how you would any other passive speaker?

Bleib

Major Contributor
Assuming you ran separate wires from the amp to the speakers? Similarly to how you would any other passive speaker?
Yes, exactly. It's now two separate passive speakers

komhst

I have to say that the amplifier inside the Edifier MR4 is exceptionally quiet. No audible hiss in maximum volume.

SivKiv

So
I have to say that the amplifier inside the Edifier MR4 is exceptionally quiet. No audible hiss in maximum volume.
So it seems like how hissy it is depends speaker to speaker, guess QC isn't that great for this. Can't really fault it for this price though.

jtk9412

Can't say the same for my piece. At fifth level, it can be heard. It gets worse when increased.

jedics

Howdy, just bought the Mr4's for my mums Samsung tv, they get a pass for music and even movies that are well recorded but on lesser quality content the intelligibility really suffers especially when certain ambient sounds are also present.

The M4's tend to squash sounds together rather than project openess and seperation, anyway I will just say I know there are better speakers for the job, like mine, but she can't have them :) Im thinking of spending a bit more and getting the T5V's.

Anyone know what Im talking about? and have experience with both speakers?

Top Bottom