• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Edifier MR-4 review (by Erin)

More Dynamics Please

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think maybe something has been lost in translation here? I get the impression what changer meant was more along the lines of 'don't take it to heart' or 'do not consider it a criticism of yourself'? Perhaps I'm misinterpreting though!

I interpreted the comment as one should not be too critical of those who question data when they are only looking for simple explanations and not criticizing. When English is obviously not someone's native language we need to be more careful about misinterpreting what they are trying to say.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
1 dB difference is so small that you don't even need sample differences or component tolerances. it could be simply a temperature difference even.

Oh, thanks for reminding me! I also have a heated/cooled garage so all my measurements are at about 70°F. Certainly that drifts a bit in the extremes but my garage is insulated so it stays within about ±5°F of that.

:)

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Getting back to the data, nothing really to see here. I didn't even bother to share it myself because it's pretty much the same thing Amir showed in his review last month. Probably best to visit that thread for discussion.

All in all, it's a decent monitor set. It's small and somewhat linear. Certainly more linear than the PreSonus and Mackie I reviewed last year.

CEA-2034%20--%20Mackie%20CR3-X.png

CEA-2034%20--%20Presonus%20Eris%20E3.5.png

^ Those were abysmal. The Edifier has a lot of adjustments that make tailoring it fairly easy, even though you can't fix all its ails. And like @sweetchaos said, it's volume limited for sure. Significant limiting above about 86dB. If one can fit the Neumi BS5P then that's the better speaker. But this one is close to half the Neumi's size.

CEA2034%20--%20Neumi%20BS5P%20with%20New%20EQ%2C%20Ports%20Stuffed.png

flaviowolff

This looks much better than the Eris 3.5, doesn't it?

Attachments

• mr4 in room erin.png
    mr4 in room erin.png
    86.2 KB · Views: 168
  • eris 3.5 in room erin.png
    eris 3.5 in room erin.png
    41 KB · Views: 154

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Need to wait on @SimpleTheater's impessions. Is it a Riesling? ;)

I mean after changing power cord and interconnect with first run copper.

Last edited:

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Need to wait on @SimpleTheater's impessions. Is it a Riesling? ;)

I mean after changing power cord and interconnect with first run copper.
Just posted the in depth Edifier Review thread. You'll have to watch the video to find out about the power cord fiasco.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
And you can see I am critical and through. Well above what would be expected.

I provided a response outlining why there may be differences and showing proof of where March said he resolved the error in his system and then showed the CTA standard of tolerance.

Then you replied with “you must not be critical”. That’s taking my response and ignoring it.

Take my results or leave them. I don’t need to beat this dead horse anymore. ;)

You completely misinterpreted @changer 's post. Had a massive hissy fit and even doubled down after he explained it. :facepalm:

An apology is in order.

lc155

@hardisj How is the volume control on Edifier MR4? Is it digital/infinite-scroll or analog? I use PC and I hate the digital volume that reset the volume when I turn the speaker off from the wall which is present on the r1280t. If I play the volume at a low level then turn it off, it is always loud as hell when turned back on. I'd be much happier with an MR4 if it doesn't exhibit this behaviour.

Top Bottom