• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Edifier E25?? Anyone have listened to those??

momo7G

Hello again ASR gang,

I am looking for a pair of small speakers for my PC.

Today when I browse around on massdrop, this pops up:
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/edifier-e25-luna-eclipse-bluetooth-speakers

Although they don't deliver to Australia, which where I located, it's priced at 250AUD which is about 180USD. When the delivery cost add in, it is about the same price.

My question is anyone get a chance to listen to those? and how they sound like?

I used to own a pair of Audioengine A2, find the bass on them is very loose.

Perhaps the reason is I placed them just on desk? (will isoacoustics stand do anything good?) or my room is an oddly shaped (trapezoidal).

Also, if someone can suggest a pair of speakers will be awesome.

raeljon

I own three pairs of Edifier speakers but I don't have any of their small, computer speakers, so I can't speak to their quality.

The E25s may be amazing or they may be garbage, I really can't say. What I can say is that for $200 (USD, on Amazon delivered to the US, so your price will obviously be a bit different) you can probably do better...if you're willing to sacrifice a bit of desk space. Edifier's powered bookshelf speakers are fantastic, but they are bookshelf speakers, which means that you'll need to find a place for them.

You stated that you're looking for a "pair of small speakers" for your PC, so I understand that having someone recommend full-sized bookshelf speakers may not be terribly useful to you. But if you are willing to figure out placement then I think that you'd greatly benefit from full-sized (powered) bookshelf speakers. The Edifiers all come with a variety of inputs, tone controls and a remote. You may think that it's silly to use a remote control for your computer speakers, but I swear that it's more useful than you might think. My desktop is set-up with a pair of R2000DBs, but they're all the way back, near the wall, and set-up nearly 50" apart, which makes a remote control rather useful. This set-up means that my desk isn't cluttered, since the speakers are far enough away from each other, and from me, that they are never in the way. (My desk is actually rather small, at only 38" across. So I bought a couple of cheap, narrow shelves to put on either side of my desk. The speakers, and other gear, sit on those shelves. So even if your desk is narrow, like mine, there are still options.)

Whether or not you end up going with the Edifiers (which I really do love) I'd still recommend that you consider proper powered bookshelf speakers, as opposed to small computer speakers. After all, if the price is the same, then your ears will certainly appreciate that you took the effort to find room for a proper set of speakers. ;)

OP
momo7G

momo7G

@raeljon The speaker shelves are really creative :p:p Love it! You are right, when comes to speakers, we can't beat physics. Bigger is usually better no matter what dsp wonders they throw in. As less need to be corrected.

I really like those edifier they elevate the angle a bit, easier to work with if I just chuck them on the table.

I think I will start looking at 5" studio monitors or get one of those shelves to set up an old fashioned 2 speakers plus amp. Will be great fun to do the research for passive speakers and power amp but not so friendly to my wallet o_Oo_O

graz_lag

Major Contributor
I have a pair of AudioEngine A5+ placed on 70-cm stands, and at abt. 10-cm away from the back wall.
Very very pleased with the rendering quality, do not feel the bass loose at all ...
For sure the back wall sounds a bit and that increases the bass rendering.

OP
momo7G

momo7G

@graz_lag I wish I got space to play with a speakers stand. I live in a small single bedroom flat, I attached my floor plan, the unit is in meters.

71A28A89-7139-4C02-9F46-680E1117BAF5.jpeg

I sit facing the balcony now. However I used to put the desk against the wall when I still got the audioengine A2. The base around 125hz was driving me crazy no matter how I placed them.

Even after I switched to the position now, with nothing behind the speakers. The heavy bass still here to stay. I eventually sold the A2:( and wanting something can put on desk without too much base booming around.

Yeah, so that's the reason I was/am eyeing the edifier, not much space, and review say it doesn't boost bass.

raeljon

YouTube sound demos are obviously of limited usefulness. Nevertheless, for anyone interested, Digital Stereophony made a video comparing the Audioengine A5+ to the Edifier R2000DB.

Based solely on that video (which, again, is admittedly problematic) I'd have to give the edge to the Audioengine A5+. Though they are $150 more ($400 vs $250) - and lack digital inputs - so that's a consideration. But they seem like fine speakers and I'm sure that @momo7G would be very pleased with either option.

I have to say that the angled bezel on the Edifiers was a pretty brilliant design choice, as that puts the soundstage at just the right spot, which is otherwise a bit difficult when speakers are sitting at desktop height. And from a purely design standpoint, I've got to give credit to Audioengine for using a removable power cord and non-proprietary speaker connections.

A bit off topic for this thread, but one of these days some manufacturer is going to finally figure out how to make powered monitors true "soundbar killers" by including HDMI ARC. But I'm not holding my breath, so until then I'll just keep fumbling around with multiple remotes when watching TV in bed.

Reactions: wje
OP
momo7G

momo7G

@raeljon Yes, the microphone factor also come into play when watching the youtube sound comparison. Sometimes speakers is awesome in those video, irl is not so much or different from room to room.

btw, fumbling those remotes maybe the best entertainment than watching the shows :p:p

morespinach

YouTube sound demos are obviously of limited usefulness. Nevertheless, for anyone interested, Digital Stereophony made a video comparing the Audioengine A5+ to the Edifier R2000DB.

Based solely on that video (which, again, is admittedly problematic) I'd have to give the edge to the Audioengine A5+. Though they are $150 more ($400 vs $250) - and lack digital inputs - so that's a consideration. But they seem like fine speakers and I'm sure that @momo7G would be very pleased with either option.

I have to say that the angled bezel on the Edifiers was a pretty brilliant design choice, as that puts the soundstage at just the right spot, which is otherwise a bit difficult when speakers are sitting at desktop height. And from a purely design standpoint, I've got to give credit to Audioengine for using a removable power cord and non-proprietary speaker connections.

A bit off topic for this thread, but one of these days some manufacturer is going to finally figure out how to make powered monitors true "soundbar killers" by including HDMI ARC. But I'm not holding my breath, so until then I'll just keep fumbling around with multiple remotes when watching TV in bed.
Really wanted to like AudioEngine A5+. They have such muffled sound after a few days of break in that off they went. Severely under powered for what they are. I’m no fanboy of Edifier but their R2000DB really hit a sweet spot. It’s a gorgeous speaker in small to medium spaces.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
What's your budget? At the end of the small speaker budget, you have Genelec's 8020 and Neumann KH80DSP, and the other end has the JBL 104 (measured here) and some other speakers sold per pair like Behringer, Fluid Audio or the older Presonus Eris.
But you have some some possibly decent stuff in between, having some room compensation switches and being sold as a single unit (cheap to replace if it dies): Tannoy's Reveal 402 comes to mind.

Wouldn't go lower than 4" without a sub, personally. And I'd buy some high-end stuff, because it never ends up unused, even if you upgrade.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Linus had comparison review of cheap speakers on Youtube

Top Bottom