• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

edd9000's System

edd9000

Frank told me I would like this forum so here I am. My system is currently a high sensitivity 3 way active system. The crossovers and room correction are DSP and software based.

Pc source running Logitech media server.
AES 16 sound card and Rosetta DAC
Various amplifiers, mostly diy Nelson Pass class A stuff.

CPA-0200.jpg

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Frank told me I would like this forum so here I am. My system is currently a high sensitivity 3 way active system. The crossovers and room correction are DSP and software based.

Pc source running Logitech media server.
AES 16 sound card and Rosetta DAC
Various amplifiers, mostly diy Nelson Pass class A stuff.

CPA-0200.jpg
A warm welcome to you and thanks for taking the time to share your system details , nice setup:)

Great to have a commodore lover in the house too..

OP
edd9000

edd9000

Welcome to the forum indeed. Is your alias a play on HAL 9000?

And what is that little box way on top? Signal generator or distortion analyzer?
Yes a play on HAL9000, but obviously my nickname is Edd. Its been my screen name for a long time.

Its a distortion analyser, mostly an ornament but it does work.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Where are the measurements?

Oh, found one over here...

---

I had a C64... Wrote a little machine code for it and was amazed how fast it seemed at the time.

And made good use of the sound chip's capabilities.

FOR ... TO ... Calculate... PEEK... POKE... NEXT...

Last edited:
OP
edd9000

edd9000

I still have a C64 and Amiga, they get plugged in now and then. I have plenty of measurements, are there any in particular you want to see, its quite tricky doing it all in room with such large speakers.

OP
edd9000

edd9000

Hi Frank. Thanks for pointing me toward this forum, and good to see you at the weekend.

iridium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Your system would probably SHAME many multi-hundred thousand dollar systems.

Welcome & try-out our Fight Club when you feel rowdy.

iridium.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
My system is currently a high sensitivity 3 way active system.
VERY nice DIY rig. I admire you guys with the "where with all" to build you own gear! I haven't been able to do that since I was building kits back in the 60s.
Thanks also for contributing to our members gear header. It's really nice to be able to put together a person with his gear

Ah, when you said "Frank" I thought you meant our australian member! Good to have the clarification. :) Thank you Frank Dernie for pointing him our way.
Phew, had me worried there for a minute too. LOL

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I have plenty of measurements, are there any in particular you want to see, its quite tricky doing it all in room with such large speakers.

Nothing in particular. Whatever you're proud of or concerned about.

FR, phase, impulse, step -- that's most of what I end up looking at here.

I'm anti-distortion, so I look at that sometimes.

The waterfall has made me think my dipoles have a 10dB advantage over my coned speakers when looking at direct sound vs room reflections, but without everyone on the same page for settings it's not very useful between systems. Spectrogram, rarely, just played with it.

I do measures for left/right/both speakers... I discovered I have a room anomaly where the left/right go 180 degrees out of phase with each other around 48Hz - the l/r response is good, combined they dig a hole. It doesn't seem to be audible with music, I wouldn't have guessed it was there before measuring.

As for being tricky to measure in-room, well, does that also make them tricky to listen to? I do my measures from the listening position unless there's some special case, because, I figure that's where it counts.

OP
edd9000

edd9000

The main concern was power compression and headroom. I wanted to play wide dynamic range recordings with no compression and preferably with little distortion at high spl. This meant high sensitivity drivers with high power handling.

Step response:
step_zpsf7eac0ea.jpg

Waterfall
waterfall_zpsd5e3b16e.jpg

Uncorrected response measured at many places around the room to confirm good off axis behaviour
room_zps56a828f4.jpg

A little ragged in the FR but it at least shows the system is linear phase:
response_zps6eff53e3.jpg

Distortion, not great as it was in a giant room but its the only one I have on this pc, I will look for one done in my room.
scalford-dist-2_zpswbbckz3c.jpg

OP
edd9000

edd9000

As for being tricky to measure in-room, well, does that also make them tricky to listen to? I do my measures from the listening position unless there's some special case, because, I figure that's where it counts.
Indeed, I really use measurements for my self to compare, but they have to be taken with a pinch of salt and may not be comparable to other methods etc, not everyone realises this.

OP
edd9000

edd9000

distortion.jpg

Distortion, listening position, no room correction. above 300hz it peaks at about 0.5% below around 1%.

Of course this is the whole system including the mic, and room effects, but I cant seem to find a 1m measurement saved, ill have a play next time I recalibrate.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes a play on HAL9000, but obviously my nickname is Edd. Its been my screen name for a long time.

Its a distortion analyser, mostly an ornament but it does work.
Hi Edd, nice to see you here. I would hope the distortion analyser still works! I still use my Ferrograph RTS2 pretty much daily, but mostly as a signal generator and level meter. I use a PC for distortion measurements, mostly, as pretty much all items now have less distortion than the analogue meter can measure.

S

Top Bottom