• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Eastern Electric Minimax Tube DAC Supreme

aslan7

Did anyone ever hear of an Eastern Electric Minimax Tube DAC Supreme? There is a review in Dagogo. The tube part makes me suspicious but it sounds interesting.

3125b

Major Contributor
Funny name.
Their specs are rather unimpressive at 92dB (tube) and 98dB (solid state) SINAD.
But what really wonders me is the specified output impedance of 22kOhms (tube) and 10kOhms (solid state), you'd need to find an amp with a massive input impedance to match that.

raindance

Major Contributor
Eastern Electric feeds the output straight off a pot. Awful design.

OP
aslan7

aslan7

Doug Schroeder of Dagogo seems to think this unit is very good and outperforms Topping.

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Doug Schroeder of Dagogo seems to think this unit is very good and outperforms Topping.
Not sure if your statement is meant to be in jest. If not then i would quit listening to Doug Schroeder.
If you take the listed specs into account, do a comparison with Topping, this DAC becomes laughable.

OP
aslan7

aslan7

I have had a big argument with Doug on Audiogon over the shortcomings of his continued advocacy of the failed company Exogal. He is one of those subjectivist types who has a low opinion of science. He actually said this Eastern thing is clearly superior to Topping. He is not a fan of ASR.

3125b

Major Contributor
Three subjectivists, five opinions. There is really no point in giving those kinds of "reviews" any consideration besides maybe useability, feel and features.

Top Bottom