• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Easiest Way To Measure A Speaker In A Room

KA7NIQ

I have been playing with both graphic and parametric EQ and it would be very useful to actually see what is going on. What is a good way to actually measure a speaker in a room.

Willem

Major Contributor
The UMIK-1 calibrated measurement microphone and REW software. This afordable combo is what most people here are using.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I happen to use Holm Impulse, another good free program.

OP
K

KA7NIQ

The UMIK-1 calibrated measurement microphone and REW software. This afordable combo is what most people here are using.
I imagine with the REW Software, one will need a laptop computer, no ?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Willem

Major Contributor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I also splurged on a mic stand. There are ways to hang the mic from the ceiling maybe, but it sure makes life easier.

Daverz

Major Contributor
You'll also need a way to play back measurement sweeps into the audio system. A USB DAC will work (the computer sees it as an audio device). An analog output on the computer known to have a flat frequency response may also work.

Willem

Major Contributor
I also splurged on a mic stand. There are ways to hang the mic from the ceiling maybe, but it sure makes life easier.
I use my wife's Gitzo carbon camera tripod without any issues. The Umik-1 does come with a small table stand that may do the job in conjunction with a chair of some kind.

Daverz

Major Contributor

I also eventually bought a mic stand, but before that I just used the little stand that comes with the Umik and propped it up on some pillows in the listening chair.

Willem

Major Contributor
You'll also need a way to play back measurement sweeps into the audio system. A USB DAC will work (the computer sees it as an audio device). An analog output on the computer known to have a flat frequency response may also work.
Yes a good usb DAC will probably be better than many inbuilt computer audio boards, but ultimate accuracy is not that important.

OP
K

KA7NIQ

So, I guess all those so called measurement systems that use your Cell Phone are worthless, right ? I have tried some free Apple IPhone FFT Measurement Programs, and none seemed to work worth a dam. I have never tried any paid IPhone measurement programs though.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So, I guess all those so called measurement systems that use your Cell Phone are worthless, right ? I have tried some free Apple IPhone FFT Measurement Programs, and none seemed to work worth a dam. I have never tried any paid IPhone measurement programs though.
You can get a vague idea. May be better than nothing. I doubt they do adaptive time gating.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
So, I guess all those so called measurement systems that use your Cell Phone are worthless, right ?
Phones are not calibrated. The microphone MAY be reasonably flat but there are many different models with different sensitivities and there will be variations even with the same model number.

A calibrated mic is much better and a calibrated USB mic has the level, as well as the frequency response, calibrated. With an analog measurement mic, the frequency response is calibrated but the level depends on preamp gain so if you need SPL you'll need an SP: meter.

A phone app should be OK for checking the differences between two different speakers/rooms or it can show the changes your EQ is making, but I wouldn't trust it for absolute measurements.

Top Bottom