• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Earpad Rolling

jonfitch

Does anyone do custom earpad mods? Use aftermarket earpads?

I'm usually an HD800 user but I bought a used Focal Elex.

The stock earpads are too small for my ears as I prefer larger pads like the HD800. I am playing around with 3d printed earpad adapters and so far I have tried the Dan Clark electrostatic earpad, which is nice and big, but its lopsided (not flat/thickness not uniform). This causes clamping pressure to build up on one spot, and Focals have about 60% more caliper pressure than Sennheiser according to the RTINGs so it's definitely noticeable compared to wearing the HD800 (but is still much more comfortable than the stock Focal pads).

Anyone know of any aftermarket earpads with large ear openings like the Dan Clark Audio electrostatic pads but with more uniform pad thickness?

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Pads can affect the sound profoundly. It often is not only a 'fitting' issue.

OP
J

jonfitch

Oh yeah of course, I always measure on my EARS jig as well as read the 3rd party measurements and tune the response afterwards a bit by hand. But Tyll's (from the old inner fidelity) old adages always seem to go with me, about fit and comfort being the most important thing in his experience above all else.

Top Bottom