• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

EarMen Donald DAC Review

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Sparrow has a normal name, but the product page compensates for that with an out of focus nude woman playing a cello. I don't even...

I just entered "naked woman cello" at Google images - apparently this is a popular subject for photographers. (Don't click on the link if you are a prude or otherwise offended by naked human bodies!)

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Picasso preferred a mandolin.

1590617518625.png

Milla Jovovich of Fifth Element fame looks nice with one as well. And yes she can play one.

Click on spoiler tag for pic.
1590617790731.png

Last edited:

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So what you have proven is that dedicated power supplies have measurable differences in noise, despite what might be expected to be a highly regulated power supply!

What happens if you plug your monitor or the Samsung charger into a Line Conditioner? @amirm (hint/nudge)

martijn86

Tramp?

That's some Schiit level naming right there.

I checked on their website and two out of three products (branded EarMen at least...) have silly names.

The Sparrow has a normal name, but the product page compensates for that with an out of focus nude woman playing a cello.

ZhYpILy.jpg

I don't even...

Sparrows are small but mighty and extremely vigilant in every aspect of their lives. The tiny sparrow is a reminder that good things come in small packages, and the loudest voice is not always the most powerful.

At least it's a fitting marketing message.

Last edited:

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Of the distortion components. the relatively benign second order dominates. Really impressive measurements for a $99 DAC.

This comes in cheaper than the Khandas Tone board, after adding an enclosure. No cost wasted on controls or display might make this a good option for a PC based active crossover.
That's what I was thinking. Run your audio into a nano digi minidsp and then out to 2 or more of these for an active setup.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

DuxServit

Forum Donor
The product labels “Chicago, IL” and their website says their products are manufactured in Europe.

Good step forward in supply-chain transparency, IMHO.

jharkness

How would this compare to the Topping D10?

Better or worse and by how much? We talking plecebo much or by OMG this is world ending, never need another?

Granted i know this is not going to be the end all be all but I say for under $200 would this be the best?

Kaiju

Good to see new company recommended.

Last edited:
Reactions: 617

Toku

Major Contributor
The display only shows the power status. I don't know if it is playing correctly even if I enter MQA.

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just entered "naked woman cello" at Google images - apparently this is a popular subject for photographers. (Don't click on the link if you are a prude or otherwise offended by naked human bodies!)
I clicked it, shame on me! :eek: And found this (click it only in the name of education on history of art)
Anyway, I get a feeling naked women always tend to distract us from science!

Ehm, cough cough, what I wanted to say in the first place, nice review! :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So what you have proven is that dedicated power supplies have measurable differences in noise, despite what might be expected to be a highly regulated power supply!
Well no. I am pretty sure the primary port is regulated as well or performance would be very bad. Likely the second port provides additional power.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well no. I am pretty sure the primary port is regulated as well or performance would be very bad. Likely the second port provides additional power.

If you still have the DAC, and your monitor has multiple USB ports, it may be interesting to plug the second port into the monitor also like those old first-gen external mechanical USB HDD/DVDs.

edit; the degree of regulation on the first is also really good. I was just thinking that unless a line conditioner can show a measurable difference, you can show that even a device like this where the primary port is not as good as having dual ports, running the primary port off a line conditioner has no effect. Thus for a power supply at this level of regulation, while you see a benefit from a second power source, the benefit if any from a line conditioner is Lower.

Top Bottom