• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

eARC extractor w/ TOSLINK 5.1 output -> TOSLINK in on Sound card -> DSP -> 5.1 audio

monkeyboy

I came across this eARC extractor that has a TOSLINK 5.1 output, I'm thinking of channeling that into a sound card like the Sound Blaster Z SE and trying to use an older PC as and audio preamp for up to 5.1 sound....anyone doing this? Anyone doing it on linux?

formdissolve

Forum Donor
That's cool that a small eARC devices exists, but expect lossy Dolby Digital/DTS over the optical port. There isn't enough bandwidth to provide lossless 5.1 over optical.

MCH

Major Contributor
Hey I have no idea about all this but I am curious about it.
Two probably stupid questions:
1. How can the decoding of the signal be done in the computer? What software allows you to decode what? Is it free/legal?
2. If you are going to have a computer in the chain, isn't it easier to play the film or whatever in the computer and send the video part to a tv and the audio to your audio rig?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
1. Decoding in things like ffmpeg and vlc has been possible for ages. Legality depends on jurisdiction and patents. I believe the last of the Dolby Digital (AC3) US patents expired in May 2017. DTS is a similar age so US patents have probably also expired.
2. 'Easier' or even 'possible' may depend on the source. If you don't have a DVB card you can't get access to the TV data directly, and even then with a DVB card you may not be able to decrypt it.

OP
M

monkeyboy

I use the TV apps and want to get 3.1 audio, so I would connect this to the eARC out of the TV and the output of this to active speakers

Top Bottom