• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

eArc Audio extractor, does this work

delta76

Major Contributor
My current AVR does not support 4k passthrough, and my x4700h gets cancelled, so I am thinking that maybe I can get the eArc audio extrator, so the setup would look like this
XSX/PS5 => LG CX => eArc audio extractor => avr => possibly amp => speakers or
LG CX => eArc audio extractor => avr => possibly amp => speakers

would that work? is there a better/simpler way do to it without having to spend $2000 for an amp?
Thanks

jcadduono

Yeah this is what the thenaudio sharc is designed to do, I use it for my LG C1 to Denon X4100W
I have the HDMI plugged into the earc output, and the usb power plugged into my Nvidia shield because occasionally there are issues with TV not seeing earc output when the sharc doesn't boot up fast enough (TVs usb power turns off with TV) - tho you could just plug the usb into a wall charger as an alternative.

OP
D

delta76

Major Contributor
Looked it up. 188$ before tax is quite steep for a temporary solution. Any cheaper alternative?

OP
D

delta76

Major Contributor
I ordered a 2x1 HDMI earc audio extractor from aliexpress for $28 after coupon. It took 2 weeks and arrived today. I did a quick test and it works quite well, without any noticeable delay. So far, so good.
only one downside that my AVR does not recognize the audio stream as Dolby Digital Plus etc as usual. But for $28 can't complain. this will last me a while until I can afford a proper AVR setup.

OP
D

delta76

Major Contributor
After some fiddling, I was able to make it process Dolby Digital +, sounds much better than THX Cinema mode.

Top Bottom