• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

EAR Yoshino 834L Deluxe Preamp Review

Rate this preamp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 162 60.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 59 22.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 37 13.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 10 3.7%

• Total voters

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also stated very clearly that IMD, idle power, system on/off pop, the stuff that really matters if you own it isn’t here.
IMD:

index.php

Agree on system on/off pop being helpful.

I’ll be more specific, the SINAD chart is like the track times on old top gear. They’re fun, but a horrible sole metric to score a car unless the car is for track use.
100% agree.

In the case of the Topping PA5, I would even say that SINAD was used to sell a faulty product and ASR took it hook, line and sinker. I have the same problem with IEM companies that abuse Crinacle’s ratings to sell uncomfortable, heavy, or fraudulent buds (like the CRN-KZ?) which we eat up.
Disagree with the "we" or generalization. Agree, that focusing too much on one metric causes people to overlook a lot of other issues.

... it’s missing the point of us gathering to read about it.

For the record—I am not a tube guy. My whole life I’ve enjoyed solid states from Micca, SMSL, Topping and integrated class D pro amps for working venues. I’m not even the target for this product, but I know there’s a lot more to say about this product, and the kind of product it is. It’s disappointing and I care, enough to write back to like five different people on this thread.

This is where the "get a refund" comment comes in. The backlog is still on the order of months. The Apollon NCx500ST was a 3 month wait from submission to review. A long delay makes it less likely for people to send stuff in. We could get a full set of measurements for everything that gets sent in, but what happens is that the demand of testing increases beyond the supply for testing.

So even though it's always helpful to get more info on this product, I would vote that we have enough information and should move onto the next thing in queue.

Toni Mas

So, we have a problem. People pay (a lot) extra for this because it sounds "better" even though it's objectively worse, despite not being able to hear a difference?
If our hearing system is not "objective", we might have another problem... Worth investigating in an objective way rather than swaying with numbers only...

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If our hearing system is not "objective", we might have another problem... Worth investigating in an objective way rather than swaying with numbers only...
Problem is, our hearing is influenced by time of day, mood, sighted bias, and a bunch of other stuff. It didn't evolve to distinguish minute distortions in music.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As Nelson Pass used to say, it is a fashion business. Nothing else.
With tubes, that's definitely the situation.

DSJR

Major Contributor
I like the way you can't resist mentioning Linn/Naim given half a chance. I think it was called "musicality" over here, and then PRAT, but not sure what the favoured term was in the US (or Aus). (I still haven't quite escaped from Ivor's world, although I never got into Julian's.)

Anyway, I seem to remember that the brand was "Lux" when first sold in the UK, and "Luxman" later, which confused me at the time. Am I imagining that? Also, I thought that Lux/Luxman was the best looking Japanese gear after Yamaha.
Those two UK makers all but took over the UK audio market for ten to fifteen years and I was a part in all of that, which is why I mention them and rue the fact that UK audiophile interest drifted away from big beefy far eastern products. Ab Sounds here did Threshold, Oracle decks (both I remember in earlier form) and later on, Krell and ARC amongst other brands, but the 'Terrible Twosome' as I call them, ruled the roost here.

Yes, I first remember 'Lux' amps and tuners and referred to them as such, although Luxman was printed on the front panels as I remember (but not from what year).

I've always been a 'tune dem' bod (melody, 'tunes,' harmonies, lyrics as in singing along) rather than ballistic pace, rhythm and, well, timing (I call it lack of smear, but that's not as fancy a term) and now realise that I suspect the more 'musical sounding' amps had a degree of compression maybe to always add to the 'bloom' already exhibited by too many high end vinyl players. Attending many live concerts and not heavily amplified gigs showed me that this 'musicality' was largely an artifice added by the gear and not all live music was in fact 'musical' (I remember two Mahler 6 performances where in one, it was badly conducted, somewhat disjointed and I wanted t leave halfway through whereas the other, conducted by Abbado at The Royal Festival Hall in London, time stood still and I was wrapped in the beauty of it all for the entire performance.

It's really difficult here for me sometimes, as I do embrace the objective side (a return to my beginnings before subjectivism took over), but do remember some interesting dems I did ;)

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't believe/recall listening to anything with that much harmonic distortion so I can't say how different it sounds. The harmonic distortions I have heard are very low, possibly even below my hearing threshold.

For those who has gear with high harmonic distortion, can you please explain to me what does harmonic distortion sounds like? How would you describe it?

Toni Mas

As Nelson Pass used to say, it is a fashion business. Nothing else.
Though some try to make It another one ruled by (partly) meaningless numbers...

Maybe easier for the industry... Not sure better for us end users...

DSJR

Major Contributor
Like recordings made in the 50-60 ies...
Horrible...
WHAT?????????

There's a whole jazz genre of superb recordings made in the 50's and I remember being blown away by a CD of Ella & Louis, first recorded in I think, 1952!

D

Deleted member 21219

Could have sent a few tubes to test the effects of tube rolling

Jim

Reactions: VQR

D!sco

So even though it's always helpful to get more info on this product, I would vote that we have enough information and should move onto the next thing in queue.
Is it really helpful? Did we really have to do this review when there is in fact a three month wait? I would have rather not even seen this review. Get on with what this community tends to care about.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it really helpful? Did we really have to do this review when there is in fact a three month wait? I would have rather not even seen this review. Get on with what this community tends to care about.
Amir accepts what members send in.

Readers who send gear in do so at their own expense and risk… (though Amir graciously spends his own money to ship it back).

In a way, this is voting for what you want to see reviewed with your wallet. To the member who sent this in, the measurements probably are helpful? If you rather not even see this review, just move on. If there is something you would like to see, send it in or band together to buy one with other readers…

D!sco

Amir accepts what members send in.

Readers who send gear in do so at their own expense and risk… (though Amir graciously spends his own money to ship it back).

In a way, this is voting for what you want to see reviewed with your wallet. To the member who sent this in, the measurements probably are helpful? If you rather not even see this review, just move on. If there is something you would like to see, send it in or band together to buy one with other readers…
You can't just have me dismissed, dude. I read every review, at one point or another. This one sucked. Maybe the policy should change, it's clearly wearing on quality.

Koeitje

Major Contributor

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can't just have me dismissed, dude. I read every review, at one point or another. This one sucked. Maybe the policy should change, it's clearly wearing on quality.
I am not dismissing you, just giving this review a passing grade and dismissing it from further examination. Is it a great review? No. Is it below average? Sure. Was it so bad that policies should change? I don’t think so. It answers a good amount of info on whether or not this is a product I would consider.

Half of Amir’s reviews will be below his average quality.

Top Bottom