• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

EAC uses Error Correction on last tracks of my CDs. Bad pressed CDs or Bad setup?

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I recently bought some more Eric Records CDs (Brand New) and I noticed some of my CDs rip weird and I always use Secure Mode with EAC. Some of the CDs rip fast, Some take 20 to 40 minutes and Some have to use error correction on the last tracks. It's hard to tell if its the way EAC is setup or if it's my discs. My offset is correct, C2 error point is off and the discs seem fine.

Katji

Major Contributor
It's hard to tell if its the way EAC is setup or if it's my discs. My offset is correct, C2 error point is off and the discs seem fine.
It's something weird about the CD drive that EAC is not picking up, not identifying.
I'm assuming offset correct is what EAC does when it does its drive setup test. (It's been years since I used it. I think I ran it at the slowest speed. "To be on the safe side.")

Last edited:
OP
ThatM1key

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
It's something weird about the CD drive that EAC is not picking up, not identifying.
I'm assuming offset correct is what EAC does when it does its drive setup test. (It's been years since I used it. I think I ran it the slowest speed. "To be on the sfe side.")
I pulled out my old ASUS drive and it had the same problems with those CDs.

Katji

Major Contributor
...Are they CD-R's? Maybe that CD-Rot problem I've heard of.

OP
ThatM1key

ThatM1key

Major Contributor

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I recently bought some more Eric Records CDs (Brand New) and I noticed some of my CDs rip weird and I always use Secure Mode with EAC. Some of the CDs rip fast, Some take 20 to 40 minutes and Some have to use error correction on the last tracks. It's hard to tell if its the way EAC is setup or if it's my discs. My offset is correct, C2 error point is off and the discs seem fine.
Go to Majorgeeks and get a different (free) program for ripping, see if that makes a difference.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Try a different drive. It's possible your drive motor upper sleeve bearing has worn and developed run-out. Tracks are much harder for the laser to track, the further out you go on a CD. Add some bearing wear and errors abound.

The most common fault in CD players and drives is spindle motor bearing wear- be it upper sleeve or lower thust bearings. CD/DVD rom drives often use fluid bearings and BSL motors which also wear. It's pretty incredible they last as long as they do, considering the rotational velocities and imbalances they deal with.

wwenze

Major Contributor
It's not impossible for pressed CDs to have some error. But that's the whole point of the ECC and why it was added to the CD-ROM standard.

As long as the resulting checksum is identical, or in the case of audio and VCD, you don't have C2 error, the data is good.

But one thing tho:
Some copy protection schemes add false C2 errors to discs to discourage copying.

MCH

Major Contributor
Do they have the red book "compact disc" logo? If not, they might be copy protected

OP
ThatM1key

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Try a different drive. It's possible your drive motor upper sleeve bearing has worn and developed run-out. Tracks are much harder for the laser to track, the further out you go on a CD. Add some bearing wear and errors abound.

The most common fault in CD players and drives is spindle motor bearing wear- be it upper sleeve or lower thust bearings. CD/DVD rom drives often use fluid bearings and BSL motors which also wear. It's pretty incredible they last as long as they do, considering the rotational velocities and imbalances they deal with.
My main drive is 1 years old but I have burnt a lot of blu-rays with it, so that could be a possibility. However I pulled out my 10 year old drive, and experienced the same issues.

It's not impossible for pressed CDs to have some error. But that's the whole point of the ECC and why it was added to the CD-ROM standard.

As long as the resulting checksum is identical, or in the case of audio and VCD, you don't have C2 error, the data is good.

But one thing tho:

Most of the CDs that used ECC, had the same identical checksums and accuraterip compares. 1 CD, the last track used so much EC it didn't even match the checksum. I used to use C2 pointers on my LG drive, and then stopped because it wasn't doing a great job. My ASUS drive had fake C2 pointers while my LG drive had something.

Go to Majorgeeks and get a different (free) program for ripping, see if that makes a difference.
I doubt that would make a difference.

Do they have the red book "compact disc" logo? If not, they might be copy protected
It doesn't but both drives instantly recognized the CDs and they ripped fast in Secure Mode (If they didn't detect errors). It does say "Produced For Compact Disc" all over and there is no mention of copyright security.

OP
ThatM1key

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
For future Eric Records CD buyers this is normal (As I compared my rips to other CD databases). You'll mostly use a small bit of error correction of the last seconds of the last tracks, not enough to fudge data.

Mkaram

This isn't a direct answer to your question but tools like dbPowerAmp have a services like AccurateRip.
This is a hash database for other people's rips of the same disc. No matter what error correction is used, is your hash is identical to enough others then you can be confident it's accurate.

hvbias

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For future Eric Records CD buyers this is normal (As I compared my rips to other CD databases). You'll mostly use a small bit of error correction of the last seconds of the last tracks, not enough to fudge data.

Where are these CDs pressed? It could be a wider issue than just the record label. Some pressing plants just do not press good CDs. You can look at the hub on the back of the CD.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
When I initially ripped all my 2000+ cd’s onto SSD I attempted to use an old (ish) cd rom drive and eac but I had similar issues to yourself with some discs taking up to 30 mins to read so I bought a new Apple SuperDrive and it worked perfectly, very fast and stable

RandomEar

This can be due to multiple factors, including the CD, drive and EAC settings. I've had one external drive and always had problems on certain CDs with 3-5 tracks - only at the very end of each track. I then got a second external drive I specifically selected based on the AccurateRip drive accuracy database. That drive (accuracy >99.7%) also had occasional problems, but they were much less common. Still, based on the AccurateRip DB, there should be not problems at all with the second drive.

I then discovered, that the first drive works much, much better with the EAC setting "Fill up offset missing samples with silence" active, as well as "Overread lead-in/lead-out" and "Drive buffers audio data" unchecked. It still has an occasional problem on a single track on 1 in 25 or so CDs. The second drive works flawlessly using those settings, with each and every disc I have ripped until now. I suggest having a look at those settings, as it may not be a disc problem.

OP
ThatM1key

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
This isn't a direct answer to your question but tools like dbPowerAmp have a services like AccurateRip.
This is a hash database for other people's rips of the same disc. No matter what error correction is used, is your hash is identical to enough others then you can be confident it's accurate.
I use CueTools to compare hash numbers and they were the same.

Where are these CDs pressed? It could be a wider issue than just the record label. Some pressing plants just do not press good CDs. You can look at the hub on the back of the CD.
There either pressed in Canada or America

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
optical drive and rollings quality lately is on the level of floppy drives and floppies (the 3,5" ones) at the end of their lifetime so i wouldn't wonder if the problem persisted even after a change of a few drives

Top Bottom