• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

mxlv900

Hi everyone, wish you guys are doing great.

Setup: I use a topping E30 serial number 2012733085 plugged into my Windows 10 laptop via usb, using the latest topping drivers, version 5.20.0. My settings are the following: 32 bits, 512 samples, safe mode turned on.

Issue: I noticed that very randomly, whether audio is playing or not, the E30 will stop detecting the digital signal from the laptop/will stop being able to read it (idk which one exactly). I know this happens because the audio will simply stop playing from my speakers/headphones and the blue input selector light starts blinking on the topping. It's very annoying because the audio will just cut in the middle of a song and I have to put the topping in standby mode and then switch it back on for it to detect the digital signal again, resulting in the audio playing again. I have tried performing a factory reset but it didn't solve the issue.

I have not found a similar occurrence of this issue online, which is why I come to you for help troubleshooting the device/solving the issue. I love the sound of the ak4493 and would like to be able to keep this device as my main DAC.

Thank you, any help is appreciated.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Have you tried plugging the E30 into your mobile or tablet? Or any other laptop? Same problem then?

Do you have any other external DAC you can plug into your laptop and test, to see if the same problem occurs?

Have you updated your laptop with any new software, or some other updates, and after that the problem with your E30 occurred?

Did you make any other changes with your laptop, any new settings, after that the problems with E30 appeared?

OP
mxlv900

mxlv900

Have you tried plugging the E30 into your mobile or tablet? Or any other laptop? Same problem then?

Do you have any other external DAC you can plug into your laptop and test, to see if the same problem occurs?

Have you updated your laptop with any new software, or some other updates, and after that the problem with your E30 occurred?

Did you make any other changes with your laptop, any new settings, after that the problems with E30 appeared?

1. No. I don't have a USB B to USB C cable or adapters for USB A to USB C unfortunately. I only have access to one laptop but I'll try to find someone who can lend me theirs.

2. I have a Hidizs S9 Pro that I plug into the USB C port on my laptop. It works fine and doesn't cut.

3. I have performed a few Windows updates recently. Mostly security updates. I don't remember the first occurrence of the issue and can't relate it to any update in particular, however.

4. The settings on my laptop have not been changed since the issue first manifested itself.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
What length is your USB cable? Does it happen if the laptop is running on the battery with no power connection?

Can you - as a test - try 16bit, 48kHz? If so, does it still happen?

OP
mxlv900

mxlv900

What length is your USB cable? Does it happen if the laptop is running on the battery with no power connection?

Can you - as a test - try 16bit, 48kHz? If so, does it still happen?
I'm using the original USB cable which measures about 1m. I will test with the laptop running on battery power. How do I switch the sample rate and bit depth? In the driver I only have the option for 24 bits and can't manually force a sample rate...

DanielT

Major Contributor
1. No. I don't have a USB B to USB C cable or adapters for USB A to USB C unfortunately.....
2. I have a Hidizs S9 Pro that I plug into the USB C port on my laptop. It works fine and doesn't cut.
You can buy an adapter and test, costs maybe $5-10.

So it works with your laptop via USB C to external DAC Hidizs S9 Pro.

Then you have a little to test. Adapter so you can plug the E30 into the USB C output, or adapter to plug Hidiz's S9 Pro into the output you use for the E30. All to see where the error lies.:)

Otherwise, bring the E30 to your job, or test with a friend's laptop and see if the E30 works then.

If you have a battery power bank, try power your E30 with it. Far-fetched that it would be your power supply that leads to your problems, but if you still have a power bank, or some other power supply at home, try it. It's free.:)

Edit:
Same problem whether you have the volume control feature on or not?

Attachments

• IMG_20221113_223534.jpg
    IMG_20221113_223534.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20221113_223614.jpg
    IMG_20221113_223614.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
OP
mxlv900

mxlv900

You can buy an adapter and test, costs maybe $5-10.

So it works with your laptop via USB C to external DAC Hidizs S9 Pro.

Then you have a little to test. Adapter so you can plug the E30 into the USB C output, or adapter to plug Hidiz's S9 Pro into the output you use for the E30. All to see where the error lies.:)

Otherwise, bring the E30 to your job, or test with a friend's laptop and see if the E30 works then.

If you have a battery power bank, try power your E30 with it. Far-fetched that it would be your power supply that leads to your problems, but if you still have a power bank, or some other power supply at home, try it. It's free.:)
Thanks, I'll try that and try to find the source of the problem. I'll update you when I find the issue :)

Guermantes

FWIW, I have a MOTU USB interface that seems to work flawlessly on a Windows 10 workstation but disconnects randomly with a Dell laptop, whether using ASIO or Windows audio drivers. It has been least problematic when connected to an unshared USB C/TB4 port on the laptop.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
I'm using the original USB cable which measures about 1m. I will test with the laptop running on battery power. How do I switch the sample rate and bit depth? In the driver I only have the option for 24 bits and can't manually force a sample rate...
Sorry - no idea. I have neither windows, nor a device run from the topping driver. I assumed you could change it since you stated 32/512.

The 1m cable should (obviously) be fine.

Still worth trying on battery (to eliminate any ground loops through the USB cable)

DanielT

Major Contributor
FWIW, I have a MOTU USB interface that seems to work flawlessly on a Windows 10 workstation but disconnects randomly with a Dell laptop, whether using ASIO or Windows audio drivers. It has been least problematic when connected to an unshared USB C/TB4 port on the laptop.
What you say sounds reasonable in itself but it has worked well for the mxlv900 before.

Even though I'm fairly, or very bad, with computers and software, I'm guessing some automatic update of the software and that has caused it. It has somehow messed up the signal (strength?) via the laptop USB output to E30 . Don't ask me how. Also, I could be wrong, so take what I said with a grain of salt.:)

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a E30 and D10 B and alternate using USB input from laptop. The last time I tried switching from the D10 B to the E30 the laptop wouldn't recognize the E30. Tried Foobar and also using the Qobuz app, which allows choosing whichever DAC one wants. The E30 doesn't show up as an option. The power light is on but no one's home. Any ideas?

OP
mxlv900

mxlv900

What you say sounds reasonable in itself but it has worked well for the mxlv900 before.

Even though I'm fairly, or very bad, with computers and software, I'm guessing some automatic update of the software and that has caused it. It has somehow messed up the signal (strength?) via the laptop USB output to E30 . Don't ask me how. Also, I could be wrong, so take what I said with a grain of salt.:)
Someone on Reddit suggested the problem was caused by a USB power management feature on Windows. However, this feature is not even available on my device, but on some, it may be deactivated. Anyhow, the general consensus seems to point towards a software issue, which means my best bet is trying the E30 with another laptop/electronic device. Perhaps checking the other digital inputs (Toslink, coaxial digital) could be of some help too, however, I believe different internal components are used to convert S/PDIF signals if I'm not mistaken.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Go to device manager and open each USB hub and port. In there is the power management tab and uncheck the manage power for each one. If you have Windows home it doesn't have advanced settings in the power management applet itself. The thing that helps a lot is turning it off for the ports and hubs though. Just search for device manager to get there.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Go to device manager and open each USB hub and port. In there is the power management tab and uncheck the manage power for each one. If you have Windows home it doesn't have advanced settings in the power management applet itself. The thing that helps a lot is turning it off for the ports and hubs though. Just search for device manager to get there.
You seem to know the data and what you say sounds like the most plausible reason for the problem.:)

If it is still to be investigated, mxlv900 can also, (if you have not already done so mxlv900? ) review the settings in Windows 10, to get the best sound::)

OP
mxlv900

mxlv900

I just did that and the USB ports were in power-saving mode indeed. I unchecked the boxes for each one of the ports. Haven't encountered the issue yet, this might actually work...

Top Bottom