• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

E30 L30 Stack not powerful enough

Robin L

Master Contributor
Actually as far as I know the E30 in DAC or pre mode makes little difference in power as the output voltage when in DAC is 2.0V and when in pre, the max that it can go is around 2.1V. Anyone here can correct me if I'm in error.
Right, but in pre mode it can be anything less than 2.1V as well. So the DAC was most likely set to a level lower than max.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
More than likely your concept of a "stack" being meaningful is at the root....

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As much as I'm interested in and almost had an excuse to buy the DX7 pro... I'm guessing that in practical experience there would be no audible difference and the choice would be almost purely based on form factor and the addition of wireless LDAC, right?

Robin L

Master Contributor
As much as I'm interested in and almost had an excuse to buy the DX7 pro... I'm guessing that in practical experience there would be no audible difference and the choice would be almost purely based on form factor and the addition of wireless LDAC, right?
Right.

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I suppose I think of it as a matched size combination of a DAC and an amp. It could also be seen as any combination of a DAC and an amp I suppose regardless of form factor.

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Jackpot. I have no idea how it got switched and there is no indication on the display that you are in DAC mode or pre mode. That would be a nice indicator. Plenty of power now, thank you again.
Well I'm going to adapt my feedback once again... Feels like the E30 might be switching back and forth in and out of DAC mode and even in DAC mode I'm realizing that on some tracks they're still isn't enough power and certainly no headroom for the HE-560 V4. There's definitely a fluctuation between not enough power and plenty of power and I can't figure it out. I will try some more troubleshooting and change interconnects but scratching my head.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
with 103dB/V and 5.6V out max (volume control on amp fully open in H gain mode)

Your headphone should be able to reach 118dB peak SPL so should be able to play loud enough.
Given that when you prefer to EQ it to Harman you will need a bass boost of around +5dB and if it still has that dip you also need about +5dB there you would be able to reach 113dB peak SPL with that set.

That should be so loud that you will have had enough of that level after a few songs. So technically it should have no problem driving the HE560.

You mentioned the E30 switches by itself between 2 DAC modes (it would have to be defective for that).
When you set it on DAC mode which is basically volume control at max and the remote volume control does not work.
In that case you will ways see the sampling rate in the display.
In pre-amp mode it will shortly show the sample rate and then continuously show the volume control setting.
So it will be very easy to verify in which mode it is by the display and or checking to see if volume control works on the remote.

When you can't get loud enough even on high gain most likely there is some software attenuation going on you are unaware of.

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My USB-C TO USB-B cable has a 56k resistor... Would that affect anything? Fate would have it the album that I listened to last night is the quietest album in my collection I believe. Jerry Garcia Band. Now that I have things on DAC it does seem loud enough.. however at full volume and high gain, that Jerry Garcia album still plays with moderate volume.

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mea culpa. Inexplicably I had an RCA wire mismatched. I also have now put the power supply on a Belkin power strip so no more radio interference and everything sounds clear. The Jerry Garcia Band album on full blast high gain on 560's is what Amir might say is right at an acceptable level with no headroom.

SimoF

The L30 with 2v input outputs 1w at 32ohm. No Surprise if it can't drive the HE560. Considering eq headroom I would buy something that Has AT LEAST 2w at 50ohm.
I use Schiit Magnius with my HE-560 (3.2W 50ohm, 5w 32ohm) and I can go up with the volume up to 3 o'clock easily

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Keep the E30 and get an A50S, the balanced output should do the trick.

Steve96

I bought the Topping E30/L30 combo last December and recently the L30 stopped working, the SN starts with 2010 and 2011 respectivly which I read had problems before 2012. Was working fine with USB from PC to E30 dac, rca from dac to L30 amp, and rca output to my Pioneer 6ohm integrated amp which connects my 6ohm 2.0 speakers. I think the power supply might have blown as there is a blinking blue light and no sound. I contacted Shenzhen Audio and requested a new unit or a refund as it is still in the 180 day warranty window for now but doesnt seem to be going anywhere.

Anyway even if I get a replacment; im thinking of getting a new balanced dac and/or amp but are the headphone amps made to power speakers as well as headphones (despite the output?)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It's not the power supply. If it were there would be no LED blinking.
The L30 needs to be replaced. Your headphones are safe though as the 2011 L30 already has a fixed DC protection.

You can have the L30 replaced.

Unless you were plagued by weird noises there is no need to go balanced.

Top Bottom