• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

E1DA Cosmos ADC

Moto

@IVX Just received my e1da and was wondering if there was anyway to tell if it had firmware version you mentioned above. I have been using it instead of my qa402 for some measurements and find it excellent.
Waiting for you to release your new products! Any suggestion for the moment re an ultra low noise circuit to act as a higher impedance input buffer with rca to balanced conversion?

Moto

V13 for sure. Cosmos Scaler I testing now has unmeasurable distortions with the gain = 0db and 3rd something about -140db at the gain +26db.
I use 2xOPA1612 composite.
Thx. Any further word on when the Scaler can be ordered?

ghg

Thx. Any further word on when the Scaler can be ordered?
Right, would like to order in a split second, too.
Well, and a 9038pro balanced DAC, able to drive unbalanced inputs, would be nice.

Moto

V13 for sure. Cosmos Scaler I testing now has unmeasurable distortions with the gain = 0db and 3rd something about -140db at the gain +26db.
I use 2xOPA1612 composite.
@IVX I know you said v13 for sure but Arta shows .4hz at -82db and @pkane ‘s Multitone Analyzer reports DC at -76db.
Also it shows INV inverted signal. Wouldn't that indicate I have the old firmware?

Hello Ivan;

I bought Cosmos ADC to test mine and my friends audio gear, the device looks cool but don't know how to use it actually. I never make any audio measurements before;
So regarding to DAC (RCA output, XLR output) and Amplifier measurements;
I am glad if you can show a simple schematic/manual with pictures or guide step by step for newbies like me.
Cable connections, dip switch setup, arta/cosmos setup for THD+N and IMD measurements.
Something similar to pictures here below is works as well if you do not have enough time to prepare detailed manual.
5e111239-60db-4589-852d-a737c60b96a3-png.759760

emu-setup-png.877780

a6089679-b353-4e2b-abd2-b248adb1a49a-jpeg.759761

Moto

Is there a set of steps that works best to update the firmware?
Also I want to order 1 or 2 more. Is it best to do it directly from your aliexpress store?

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
Linsoul and other resellers buying our stuff by 50-100pcs by once with some discount. So, it is the same quality products etc but Linsoul can offer that from the US/EU storage right now, so you'll get the stuff a lot faster. To update the FW you do need to have installed Comtrue driver, and use the CT7601_ISP_Tool.exe to update Cosmos ADC device VID/PID 2fc6/6012 with the file CosmosAdc_v13.hex. Do not move/touch/shake the ADC and its cables during the reflashing process!
I have the video about how to update a FW for my DACs it is pretty much the same procedure, pls take a look. Do not hesitate to google any questions you have in most cases I or somebody else already replied somewhere(usually in the discord channel)

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
Hello Ivan;

I bought Cosmos ADC to test mine and my friends audio gear, the device looks cool but don't know how to use it actually. I never make any audio measurements before;
So regarding to DAC (RCA output, XLR output) and Amplifier measurements;
I am glad if you can show a simple schematic/manual with pictures or guide step by step for newbies like me.
Cable connections, dip switch setup, arta/cosmos setup for THD+N and IMD measurements.
Something similar to pictures here below is works as well if you do not have enough time to prepare detailed manual.
5e111239-60db-4589-852d-a737c60b96a3-png.759760

emu-setup-png.877780

a6089679-b353-4e2b-abd2-b248adb1a49a-jpeg.759761
Hi there, Cosmos ADC is an ADC, that's it. It is not a magic wand so you need to read about how to measure audio stuff before you decide to buy the ADC. To test an power amp I prepared AUX input with up to 43Vrms, I hope it is enough for your amps. Goodluck.
BTW, all that you need you can find in our discord channel!

Last edited:

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just received my Cosmos ADC today, definitely a nice step up from my other ADCs for measurements.

I've been playing around with the voltage ranges and have a question on the correct interpretation of the results. At a constant DAC output level I get the best noise measurements at the lowest possible ADC voltage range, the best THD measurements at the highest possible ADC voltage range and the best THD+N somewhere in between.

Is it technically correct to take the best noise measurement (from the low voltage range measurement) and the best THD measurement (from the high voltage range measurement) and sum them (as RMS) to determine THD+N?

Also some of my DACs really do not like using XLR splitters for mono mode, the result is worse distortion performance than a single channel. I assume this has to do with the relatively low input impedance of the Cosmos? Assuming they measure similarly on their own, is it acceptable to use two separate output channels from the DAC in mono mode? The results are as expected, no change in distortion and about 3 dB on noise so this seems acceptable but want to make sure I am not cheating the measurement somehow.

Michael

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
mdsimon2, hi, the first thing I recommend to read is https://e1dashz.wixsite.com/index/cosmos-adc
the second one is our discord channel or/and some related topic in diyaudio.com or similar tech forum.

I've read your documentation and searched through the discord and haven't seen these particular questions covered. I was really just looking for confirmation of my understanding so unless anyone speaks up I will assume I have it right.

Michael

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Which is definitely not what I am seeing on many of my DACs, I get much better THD measurements the further away I am from -0.5 dBFS by using the 10V voltage setting. To me the only explanation for this is that these DACs do not like the low input impedance and therefore are doing better with the higher input impedance of the higher voltage settings. But of course noise performance suffers at the higher voltage settings.

Of course not everything is like this, I get the best measurements on my Okto DAC8 pro at just about -0.5 dBFS as expected.

Michael

1231rq32r1qw32r

Has anyone used multiple E1DAs on their system at the same time? Ie 2+. Any feedback?

Top Bottom