• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

E1DA Cosmos ADC

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have started using my adc, just testing so far. Only annoyance is how close the trrs input is to the screw. With the only four pole 2.5mm connector I could get, I had to remove the screw. Plus, with my soldering of the connector, very tricky, and limits crosstalk to about 70dB, likely because how close the terminals are.

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
I have started using my adc, just testing so far. Only annoyance is how close the trrs input is to the screw. With the only four pole 2.5mm connector I could get, I had to remove the screw. Plus, with my soldering of the connector, very tricky, and limits crosstalk to about 70dB, likely because how close the terminals are.
I do not recommend you to use nonstandard 2.5mm plugs. Please read a little about it in my F.A.Q. and you'll understand that it is even a good idea to do not to let you install nonstandard 2.5mm plug to avoid shorting of your amp's output to the ADC's = USB = PC GND. The Q#3 https://e1dashz.wixsite.com/index/faq
As you can see, a standard one plug has >1mm room:
WeChat Image_20211128135436.jpg

Reactions: trl

dougi

I do not recommend you to use nonstandard 2.5mm plugs. Please read a little about it in my F.A.Q. and you'll understand that it is even a good idea to do not to let you install nonstandard 2.5mm plug to avoid shorting of your amp's output to the ADC's = USB = PC GND. The Q#3 https://e1dashz.wixsite.com/index/faq
View attachment 168532
I'll have to hunt for one. No risk of grounding with mine, but the plastic barrel is big and getting in the way.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Any ideas? Weird problems with Cosmos ADC.

View attachment 169203View attachment 169204
Your Cosmos is in Mono mode. The left and right inputs are averaged and output to the left channel, the right input is output to the right channel.
Blue signal LED = mono mode, green signal LED = stereo mode.
You can change modes using the Cosmos_Tweak utility available on the E1DA website, or by changing the Cosmos' hardware volume under Sound Control panel->Cosmos->Properties->Levels. 0-50=Stereo, 50-100=Mono.
2021-11-16_22-45-39.jpg
To change hardware volume via the Sound Control panel, this driver is required: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11LDzaULXWbtP1fyH6j7sp2S2SOF5ve3x/view

dougi

Your Cosmos is in Mono mode. The left and right inputs are averaged and output to the left channel, the right input is output to the right channel.
Blue signal LED = mono mode, green signal LED = stereo mode.
You can change modes using the Cosmos_Tweak utility available on the E1DA website, or by changing the Cosmos' hardware volume under Sound Control panel->Cosmos->Properties->Levels. 0-50=Stereo, 50-100=Mono.
View attachment 169207
To change hardware volume via the Sound Control panel, this driver is required: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11LDzaULXWbtP1fyH6j7sp2S2SOF5ve3x/view
I must be accidentally doing that too, wondering why the levels were a bit low. I installed the driver because I was having ASIO4ALL issues in REW (which I now realise where just insufficient buffer size) and my signal LED is indeed blue at the moment, with the assumed default full volume for the device in Windows (and in REW, would that effect it as well?)

staticV3

Master Contributor
I must be accidentally doing that too, wondering why the levels were a bit low. I installed the driver because I was having ASIO4ALL issues in REW (which I now realise where just insufficient buffer size) and my signal LED is indeed blue at the moment, with the assumed default full volume for the device in Windows (and in REW, would that effect it as well?)
Mono/Stereo happens on the Cosmos itself, so what program you use doesn't matter.
For REW (or any other program without Wasapi support) I recommend you give FlexASIO a try, with driver type set to WDM-KS.

SyncerTech

I switched to stereo, but new problems appeared.
1. If the source is connected to another PC, the noise level is even higher than that of the MOTU M4.
noise-cosmos.jpg

2. The interpenetration of the channels is still worse than the Motu M4.
res-cosmos.jpg

3. ASIO driver is terribly buggy. I use Asio4All. 24 bit 96 kHz

SyncerTech

If the devices are connected to one PC, then there is simply a lot of unnecessary distortion.
thd-cosmos.jpg

SyncerTech

AIYIMA DAC-A6 DAC and Topping L30 amplifier are used as a device. Output power 2.3 W into 32 ohms. I recalculated and got 8.579 Vrms, at the bottom I set the value to 8.5 for each channel symmetrically. Where could the error be? Signal level for RMAA -3 dB. Quality 24 bit 96 kHz.

Grooved

First of all, I purchased all the boards I posted in the text. It's currently being delivered, but I'm going to test it when it arrives. First of all, I'm going to find out if it works without a separate MLCK line input.
Hi @HiZ
So I had a bit of time to test it with one of the two Raspberry boards I have, with external 5V powering it and the three wires from I2S on the Cosmos ADC, and I didn't succeed.
It was the board with two clocks, so I wil try the one with only one clock...
Then, I will try with a board without clock but with the MCLK added but I have to solder the wire first

Reactions: HiZ

dougi

I just received these 2.5mm TRRS pigtails. I could not get them locally, but delivered in about 3 days from the US. Cheap and they seem perfect, with lots of space to the screw.
MFG_10-00340.jpg

HiZ

Hi @HiZ
So I had a bit of time to test it with one of the two Raspberry boards I have, with external 5V powering it and the three wires from I2S on the Cosmos ADC, and I didn't succeed.
It was the board with two clocks, so I wil try the one with only one clock...
Then, I will try with a board without clock but with the MCLK added but I have to solder the wire first
It's sad to hear that failed.
All the items I ordered have not arrived yet, so it will take some time to test them.
I'm so busy with other things these days that I don't think I'll be able to do it until December 20th.
I hope we succeed. I hope it can be a good Christmas gift.

phofman

Hi @HiZ
Did you have the I2S DAI configured to slave BCLK/LRCLK, 32bit slot, and correct format of E1DA (I2S or L-Justified)?

Grooved

Did you have the I2S DAI configured to slave BCLK/LRCLK, 32bit slot, and correct format of E1DA (I2S or L-Justified)?
I may be wrong but I think the configuration stays in the Raspberry, and that the board won't keep any setting if used without the Raspberry, which is what I wanted to do. Only the Cosmos ADC and the I2S -> SPDIF board.

Anyway, my boards have one or two clocks, while Cosmos ADC already has two, and they only have SPDIF, so I won't try it again, and will focus on my other board without clock which require all 4 I2S lines, but would gives me AES+SPDIF.
Just need one last solder point, which I can't do at home now, so it will be next week.
I2S Cosmos ADC.jpg

Just a thought : @IVX your picture of I2S pinout (in a previous page) shows "RLCK", does this mean that it's R justified, or is it L justified please ?

phofman

I may be wrong but I think the configuration stays in the Raspberry, and that the board won't keep any setting if used without the Raspberry, which is what I wanted to do. Only the Cosmos ADC and the I2S -> SPDIF board.
I thought you wanted to connect the I2S inside Cosmos ADC to RPI's I2S, therefore the question about correct RPi4 configuration of its I2S DAI driver.

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні

Anyway, my boards have one or two clocks, while Cosmos ADC already has two, and they only have SPDIF, so I won't try it again, and will focus on my other board without clock which require all 4 I2S lines, but would gives me AES+SPDIF.
Just need one last solder point, which I can't do at home now, so it will be next week.
View attachment 169935

Just a thought : @IVX your picture of I2S pinout (in a previous page) shows "RLCK", does this mean that it's R justified, or is it L justified please ?
I2S as described ;)
2021-12-04_10-02-41.jpg

Top Bottom