• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

E1DA Cosmos ADC

HiZ

HiZ, can you tell me what sample rate you gonna use with the SPDIF board?
I'm sure it depends on the situation, but I think the one I use the most is the 24-bit 48K sample rate (24/48).

HiZ

Ok, I see, good that you need only 48/96/192/384k because ES9822 uses 2 oscillators one for 44.1*n another for 48*n.
So you need only one MCLK wire for that.
In the case of these products, a separate crystal oscillator can be installed on the board itself.
Wouldn't it work as the board's own clock without additional MLCK wires to EXT_INPUT?

HiZ

In the case of these products, a separate crystal oscillator can be installed on the board itself.
Wouldn't it work as the board's own clock without additional MLCK wires to EXT_INPUT?

1636778308856.png

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні

I'm not sure if I understand. I have doubt if that SPDIF board will work without MCLK on its I2S input. Better to ask the board supplier.

tune

Forum Donor
I would like to connect condenser microphones to take advantage of the great performance of the CosmosADC. what combination of mic preamps and phantom power would be worth the performance of the CosmosADC? I am in need of help.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I would like to connect condenser microphones to take advantage of the great performance of the CosmosADC. what combination of mic preamps and phantom power would be worth the performance of the CosmosADC? I am in need of help.
Earthworks Millenia mic preamp would be among the best. They aren't cheap.

Then you'll want low self noise mics. Shure KSM 44a or Lewitt Sub zero or similar.

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
Just right now I testing the latest version of Cosmos APU proto with 48VDC phantom power as a mic preamp with Rode NT1A. Sounds great to me with minimal noise.

HiZ

The industry's best (accurate) comprehensive performance measurement is Earthworks' zero-distortion (ZDT) microphone-pre, and the second is Cranborn Audio's Camden mic-pre.
I own a camden ec2 microphone pre-amplifier (2ch).
Of course, it will be used with cosmos adc.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The industry's best (accurate) comprehensive performance measurement is Earthworks' zero-distortion (ZDT) microphone-pre, and the second is Cranborn Audio's Camden mic-pre.
I own a camden ec2 microphone pre-amplifier (2ch).
Of course, it will be used with cosmos adc.
Yeah the Earthworks is ZDT and I had it mixed up in my mind as the Millenia which is a different though very good preamp.

tune

Forum Donor
Thank you all for your advice. I see that there are several products with great performance. But of course, the good ones are expensive. :) I have learned a lot from your introduction of the products.

I've got a great CosmosADC and enjoy it every day. Thanks IVX for a great product and I will wait for the release of CosmosAPU.

audiofun

Just right now I testing the latest version of Cosmos APU proto with 48VDC phantom power as a mic preamp with Rode NT1A. Sounds great to me with minimal noise.
That's really good news! when will it be available?

tune

Forum Donor
I'd like to know if anyone can help me.
"Sound it! 9 Pro" can record DSD256 natively using a PC if the ADC chip supports DSD; if you look at the specifications of the ES9822 Pro ADC chip used by E1DA Cosmos, it supports DSD512. Is DSD256 native recording possible with the E1DA Cosmos?

staticV3

Master Contributor
I'd like to know if anyone can help me.
"Sound it! 9 Pro" can record DSD256 natively using a PC if the ADC chip supports DSD; if you look at the specifications of the ES9822 Pro ADC chip used by E1DA Cosmos, it supports DSD512. Is DSD256 native recording possible with the E1DA Cosmos?
The ES9822 can technically output DSD, but it's captured in PCM and then converted to DSD. So no, native recording is not possible.

Grooved

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ok, I see, good that you need only 48/96/192/384k because ES9822 uses 2 oscillators one for 44.1*n another for 48*n.
So you need only one MCLK wire for that.
Hi @IVX , are you talking about a MCLK wire going from the ADC to the SPDIF board ?
In this case, from which point would you solder the wire on the Cosmos ADC ? And would it need two wires if the board has two clocks for 44.1/88.2... and 48/96/... ?
It was not what I wanted to try try at first, but I may use this solution in the end.
Hi @HiZ , not yet, not enough time available, but I will do some test next week or the following one, and first, I want to try with a board that should be used with a Raspberry, because the Raspberry doesn't send an MCLK signal, only LRCK, BCLK and DATA, but the boards (with own clock) can still output SPDIF, AES...

If it doesn't work, I may try what @IVX said with a MCLK wire (if I understand it well), or will only try to get Word clock output from the Cosmos ADC to at least sync it with the DAC

HiZ

Hi @IVX , are you talking about a MCLK wire going from the ADC to the SPDIF board ?
In this case, from which point would you solder the wire on the Cosmos ADC ? And would it need two wires if the board has two clocks for 44.1/88.2... and 48/96/... ?
It was not what I wanted to try try at first, but I may use this solution in the end.

Hi @HiZ , not yet, not enough time available, but I will do some test next week or the following one, and first, I want to try with a board that should be used with a Raspberry, because the Raspberry doesn't send an MCLK signal, only LRCK, BCLK and DATA, but the boards (with own clock) can still output SPDIF, AES...

If it doesn't work, I may try what @IVX said with a MCLK wire (if I understand it well), or will only try to get Word clock output from the Cosmos ADC to at least sync it with the DAC
First of all, I purchased all the boards I posted in the text. It's currently being delivered, but I'm going to test it when it arrives. First of all, I'm going to find out if it works without a separate MLCK line input.

Grooved

Grooved, you can take MCLK for 44.1 from the green point, and from the red one for 48,
View attachment 166276

Thanks @IVX !
Do you know if it would be better to use a point on the path like in your picture, or to get it on the pin of the ESS chip ?

Another thing : if I'm not wrong, both MCLK are sent on the Red pins on the list bellow (pin4 for generating 44.1/88.2/... and pin8 for 48/96/...), but do you know what the pin7 is outputting ?
Is it the MCLK signal from the pin8 only (passthrough), or does it send the MCLK signal in use by the ESS chip (any clock signal use at the moment, so after a switch from the ESS chip between one or the other clock) ?
Cosmos ADC - ESS9822PRO pinout.png

The following diagram doesn't help me to be sure of what the XOUT is sending, and if it automatically switch between XIN and ACLK depending on the frequency used :
Cosmos ADC - ESS9822PRO XOUT.png

Last edited:

Grooved

First of all, I purchased all the boards I posted in the text. It's currently being delivered, but I'm going to test it when it arrives. First of all, I'm going to find out if it works without a separate MLCK line input.
Hi, I'm not sure about the second (highest price) but for the first one, it's said that it can work without any MCLK, which would be great.
I just don't know if it can manage all frequencies having only one clock, let us know when you have test it.
I will give my results when I can have enough time to do all the tests, I will test it with different boards than yours, with one having one clock, and the other having two clocks.

Top Bottom