• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

E1DA Cosmos ADC teardown

TNT

Bigger is better?

I think that specifications speak for themselfs. And it seem to sound fine... of course.

//

TNT

Referring to the pic in post #30, have a perhaps circled an eventual LP filter? Values of caps?

Or where and how?

LP?.jpg

//

Last edited:

TNT

Haha - wrong again - my preamp is at gain 1. And this preamp has the mic capsule on its input.

//

OP
trl

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods

TNT

Thanks - I got the information form the designer. It was not what I circled :)

//

Sokel

Master Contributor
Anyone managed to make an USB isolator working on the Cosmos ADC? I tried one from Amazon

https://www.amazon.se/Nobsound-isol...b6-b99a-20cb22334e5f&pd_rd_i=B07GF6VMMK&psc=1

but it was a no go. The change of mono->stereo by changing the volume slider on the laptop seemed to work but ni sound - only static...

//
You will need a High speed USB2 one,like the Intona's.
They don't come cheap though.
There are eval boards though that are up to the task:

Reactions: TNT

TNT

Thanks!

Yes, quite a bit lower - an eval board would be ok. Hmm, which one do I want?

"The ADuM4165 supports the clock or crystal input on the upstream side, and the ADuM4166 supports the clock or crystal input on the downstream side"

I suppose it would be best to let the Cosmos be "master" and take the clock from there - but is this up or down-stream? :) Don't get it...

Its very good also that this board support individual powering of the Cosmos - it is needed because my Laptop battery is not so good anymore and my phone dont have that much juice.

I hope the EVM would also work between a phone and the ADC - I managed to succesfully connect the Cosmos to my phone using https://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/products/usb-audio-recorder-pro and do proper recordings.

//

Sokel

Master Contributor
Thanks!

Yes, quite a bit lower - an eval board would be ok. Hmm, which one do I want?

"The ADuM4165 supports the clock or crystal input on the upstream side, and the ADuM4166 supports the clock or crystal input on the downstream side"

I suppose it would be best to let the Cosmos be "master" and take the clock from there - but is this up or down-stream? :) Don't get it...

Its very good also that this board support individual powering of the Cosmos - it is needed because my Laptop battery is not so good anymore and my phone dont have that much juice.

I hope the EVM would also work between a phone and the ADC - I managed to succesfully connect the Cosmos to my phone using https://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/products/usb-audio-recorder-pro and do proper recordings.

//
I would get the 4165 which is available,the other is not till june ;)

TNT

Aha - so it dosent matter in my case... :)

I see the possibility for clocks on the board - I suppose one dont have to use this...

//

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

TNT

Aha - not even the Intona... wow.. hmm.. what is the problem (with the Cosmos?)?

/

TNT

The strange thing was that there was indeed some communication possible with the cheap cheap one...

//

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Aha - not even the Intona... wow.. hmm.. what is the problem (with the Cosmos?)?

/

Don't know. It's detected and shows up in the device list. HS01 even has an external power supply that can be used to provide extra power if one USB isn't sufficient. Yet, I just get noise from the device. I am using this with a Mac.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I think @pma uses (a not high speed) one and it seems to work,maybe he'll jump in to tell us.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom