• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

E1DA Cosmos ADC teardown

OP
trl

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
"Output level: max 15V RMS"

As long as you respect ADC's input voltage and preamp's output voltage you should be fine. I would say that all preamps with an output voltage lower than 10V RMS should work just fine with Cosmos, but perhaps @IVX could jump in with more details about this.

Even 2MP can be setup to 2V RMS on outputs, so you need to choose the proper Cosmos selector for this.

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How do you use the dummy load board? Can you just plug the 2.5mm balanced into the ADC and connect the amp you want to measure to the 3.5mm or do you have to use those hook clips?

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
juliangst, just like this
88f4a9_528ff15e99534e14987ebffc8e1af640~mv2.jpg

PS: don't forget to switch Off 11 and 12 DIP-Switch, also connect the GND of the power-amp to the ADC GND(XLR pin#1). Please, turn On the amp only after you did connect all to ADC, and read there please as well.

juliangst

staticV3

Master Contributor
Thanks! Is it possible to see power/voltage vs distortion in the software to measure power output of a headphone amp?
You can measure power/voltage vs distortion in REW, but only after calibrating the software.
The Cosmos ADC outputs only dBFS values and so you have to tell REW what dBFS correlates to what Vrms.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@juliangst oh and also note that the Cosmos Load board was designed for dongle DACs like the 9038S/D, Meizu HiFi, etc. It can not withstand multiple Watts.

juliangst

@juliangst oh and also note that the Cosmos Load board was designed for dongle DACs like the 9038S/D, Meizu HiFi, etc. It can not withstand multiple Watts.
Yeah, I already expected that it can’t handle lots of power, but I would only use it for measuring dongles and portable stuff anyway

Tuan Huynh

Headphone amps will be not optimal for that AUX input due to way too low voltage <<43Vrms. Such stuff is better to measure with XLRs inputs 1.7-10Vrms.
I need your help! I use the Cosmos as an ADC for my external mic preamp through XLR input. The specs said 10V input max in the Cosmos, however my preamp specs are +28dbu output at half gain. Is it save when I did that. According to my very low audio signal after recording, I didn't hear any clipping or anything bad.

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
I need your help! I use the Cosmos as an ADC for my external mic preamp through XLR input. The specs said 10V input max in the Cosmos, however my preamp specs are +28dbu output at half gain. Is it save when I did that. According to my very low audio signal after recording, I didn't hear any clipping or anything bad.
Well, I tried about 20Vrms 1kHz sine for 10S and Cosmos ADC with sensitivity 10V did survive.

Tuan Huynh

Well, I tried about 20Vrms 1kHz sine for 10S and Cosmos ADC with sensitivity 10V did survive.
Do you have any solution for me to use your ADC with my mic preamp for recording since the max output of the mic preamp can go up to 32Dbu. For example the 2.5mm as an alternative?

Tuan Huynh

The AUX input has minimal sensitivity of about 35Vrms(ADC gain setting should be 1.7V), it is fine for your 32dbu=31Vrms.
But you'll need to tie the GND wire of ADC to GND of the preamp.
Do I have to open the Cosmos to do it sir? My preamp has 1 XLR output . Does that means I connect pin 1 of the XLR cable to somewhere in the cosmos?
Thank you for answering my stupid question!

TNT

If possible, lower the preamp gain more - this will probably benefit in lower noise also from the mic amp. Check your gain structure. If the preamp can drive low impedances it will be better to set the dip switches for lower input sensitivity.

I record into Cosmos at it's most sensitive setting (1,4v) with only 10 dB gain in the preamp. It ends up -30 dB low for an organ recording in church. I then use digital gain for proper levels. I use bit shift (200% in Amadeus Pro) so no calculation errors - still 18 bits left ;-)

//

Attachments

• af4xrpt44_24fla_shorter.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 60

TNT

Have to correct myself - the lower sensitivity on Cosmos, the higher impedance... so thats good :)

//

Top Bottom