• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

E1DA 9038D Review (portable DAC & Amp)

Facel

I have 3 devices able to play music files : a windows PC, an IPhone and a Raspberry 4.
(no Android phone)

In my case I can only tune The 9038D via my Windows laptop.
This tuning is limited to swap between the 10 different filters proposed. (As far as I understand)
The only purpose of the Tweak_9038D_C.hex file is to tune the 9038D with an android phone.

question : How can I set back the 9038D to its "out of factory" setting ?

What is difference in terms of power consumtion between an XXX filter and a XXX_noSTBY filter

Is there any other difference than consumtion between XXX filter and a XXX_noSTBY filter

Feel free to add any additionnal info regarding the settings or use of 9038D.

zvukofor

Guys, I'll try to produce the fixture I described above after I finish with Cosmos line.

Hello Ivan!

I have a couple of questions re 9038D: does it have some kind of power-saving or auto mute features?

I want to use it for mobile work (mixing audio for movies, mixing music), and i've seen some small DACs has these options, so really not suitable for any sound work - i can hear 'em turning on and off on very small levels...

And the second: does it work well on macOS? i.e. any hiccups?

Thank you!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Any tricks to avoid the clacks the first seonds, when 9038d is connected to power and headphone?

i am using this Adapter
https://www.amazon.de/Lightning-to-...uf+USB+3+Kamera-Adapter&qid=1631736010&sr=8-3

usb power has 5V 2.1 A

plug in 9038d and headphone to adapter makes disturbing klacks in my headphone

I could not find any solution therefore

It might be the standby mode. It creates mini thumps. Bit like a heartbeat. Quite loud on more sensitive headphones

Have you installed the Tweak app for it? If so, connect to phone with app on, settings, disable standby mode.

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have a couple of questions re 9038D: does it have some kind of power-saving or auto mute features?
It has auto-standby by default, but I think the tweak app can disable it. I have not tried it, though.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It has auto-standby by default, but I think the tweak app can disable it. I have not tried it, though.

It can and does

paudio

Was thinking with the USB-C issues you could try to use something similar to what 2019 16" Macbook Pros use. It's a connector but without the external shroud. Instead of the normal more flimsy one they literally increase the depth of machined aluminum to create a very high tolerance very strong shroud.

1631924740195.png

Last edited:

zvukofor

Just one word: astonishing.
I worked on some really expensive stuff at studios, including Lynx, top RME and UA converters, and this one little thing is really at least on the same level (well, first i was impressed by measurements).
Now i'll use it as my mobile (and maybe more than mobile) interface for editing and mixing audio, definitely will recommend it to fellow engineers.

Thank you Ivan, you've made a great sounding converter!

Viennacalling

i now checked with Tweak9038

mute is enabled
Stand by is NOT enabled

Problem still exists
plug in 9038d and headphone to adapter makes disturbing klacks in my headphone for several seconds until it is working

Duffy Moon

Has anyone managed to get theirs working with Windows 7? I've tried both drivers and followed the instructions on the Comtrue website, but keep getting dropouts.

hi, is there a way to use e1da as a dac with fixed volume? I want to replace topping dx3 pro v.1 with this thing, now i have it (dx3) plugged as a dac to massdrop thx 789. Will this connection (e1da + thx) be ok?

paudio

i now checked with Tweak9038

mute is enabled
Stand by is NOT enabled

Problem still exists
plug in 9038d and headphone to adapter makes disturbing klacks in my headphone for several seconds until it is working

Are you using headphones with an inline mic or inline controls? My apple dongle tries to figure out which configuration the pins are and I have to hold down the play button on my meze 99 noires else it just makes weird sounds for a while.

Duffy Moon

Those of you who use Neutron, could you please post your configuration. I'm getting a very low output (and I have tried using Tweak9038 to increase it).

RedCometZero

My TRRS headphones (apple remote+mic style) don't play any sound when fully inserted, but when pulled out slightly, it works. Any idea what's going on? 9038d is supposed to be compatible with TRRS AFAIK

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My TRRS headphones (apple remote+mic style) don't play any sound when fully inserted, but when pulled out slightly, it works. Any idea what's going on? 9038d is supposed to be compatible with TRRS AFAIK
Apparently there are two different ways of wiring trrs. I had to get an adapter to get my akg k3003 to work. I cant recall which of the 2 protocols work with the E1DA

EDIT- this is what I got- works fine and looks like its bi directional https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B076N3DQ4R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
9038D uses OMTP instead of CTIA wiring <https://e1dashz.wixsite.com/index/faq>. CTIA is nowadays more common.

You would need a CTIA-OMTP adapter, or an adapter that takes TRRS and splits it into the headphones side and the microphone side, and then you just use the headphones side (such an adapter would probably wire the TRRS side using CTIA).

Last edited:

TunaBug

Forum Donor
9038D uses OMTP instead of CTIA wiring <https://e1dashz.wixsite.com/index/faq>. CTIA is nowadays more common.

You would need a CTIA-OMTP adapter, or an adapter that takes TRRS and splits it into the headphones side and the microphone side, and then you just use the headphones side (such an adapter would probably wire the TRRS side using CTIA).

@RedCometZero I am successfully using https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07149JNBB. If you look at the site linked by @Atanasi you'll see that the adapter is very simple: it's just swapping the second ring and shield. Also note that "uses OMTP" is a bit of a misnomer: the E1DA-9038D is not making use of the second ring at all. They are basically expecting a TRS, but the jack's wiper for the "S" is far enough back that it contacts the "S" in a TRRS.

Top Bottom