• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

E1DA 9038D Review (portable DAC & Amp)

staticV3

Master Contributor
Here are 1kHz THD+N and 48kHz Jitter of my 9038D6K unit:
unknown.png unknown-2.png

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
I see on D6K page that it can be calibrated with the APU for use with different headphones. What does this calibration means, please?

I thought that the only calibration Ivan was referring to was the one related to a better THD, like it's presented here:

staticV3

Master Contributor
I see on D6K page that it can be calibrated with the APU for use with different headphones. What does this calibration means, please? I thought that the only calibration Ivan was referring to was the one related to a better THD, like it's presented here:
That's the one. Finding optimal distortion generation values for least THD at a given load and volume.
Requires a sufficiently transparent ADC.

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні

staticV3

Master Contributor
Guys, Is there any reason to upgrade from old 9038d to the new one?
You no longer need an adapter to listen to music using headsets and EMI noises are slightly reduced.
Those could be reasons to upgrade, depends on you.

phofman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks, manually replacing those does take a major soldering dexterity. Please can you share what is the ratio of the below-specs chips?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
Devices with inline mics- the orginal 9038D didnt like one of the layouts (think the one apple use) so you would need a 3.5 to 3.5mm adapter to convert to right TRS format
To track the feedback perfectly we need to read the GND return signal from a single one point, that's important for the lowest distortions and for the best crosstalk as well. I have choose the sleeve(trrS) of the 3.5mm jack as that point but some HP+mic sets used the ring(trRs) before sleeve.
The original 9038D has trRs floated-unconnected, as the perfect way to avoid GND loop on the DAC's board but 9038D6K has .33ohm resistor from trRs to the GND node. Technically this is not a perfect solution, however, even users with HP+mic sets(anyway a weird choice to me for pairing with ultralow THD+N DAC+HPA) will have no audible issues with 9038D6K.
Actually, 9038D is the most pop model that I released, and by that reason, I getting a lot of simplest questions about that. If you'll take a look at the 9038S, there are nearly zero questions, because a "strange" balanced cable is needed and that fact isolates simple users from buying 9038S. Furthermore, Cosmos APU, my most Pro stuff, creates a reversed questions flow i.e. rather I asking about results users got with it. And no one APU was sold for a user who has no idea what is it(probably excluding China).
PS: alter4, all units are calibrated pls take a look at the updated specs: https://e1dashz.wixsite.com/index/9038d

Stórr Fogl

IVX,

Sorry for off-topic question. I own your E1DA 9038D, use it mostly with full-size Denon AH-D5200 and notebook and with Audiosense T800 IEM and very happy with it. But question concerns another device.
You positively mentioned Meizu Hifi Pro in terms of its price and value. I bought it for usage with my smartphone + relatively cheap earbuds. Unfortunately, Meizu survived around 1 year and now is broken. I would buy it again but it's discontinued.
Do you know, whether Ugreen Hifi Audio Pro is really twin sibling of Meizu Hifi Pro in terms of hardware. Or probably you could recommend any successor of that Meizu?

Jorj

Forum Donor
I'm interested to hear @Archimago's impressions. This is a seriously impressive little DAC, in my opinion. It easily outperforms the onboard DAC on my phone, and I feel very comfortable that, when I'm forced to buy a phone that has no 3.5mm jack (thanks for starting that BS, Apple), I'll be in good shape.

After quite a few hours with the 9036D6K, I have few complaints. It runs cool. The phone battery impact seems small. The Tweak app is very slick and works nicely. There is definitely some tendency to pick up cellular interference, but moving the DAC relative to the phone usually fixes it. Oh, did I mention that it sounds marvelous? Or that the shipping was very quick despite the distance? Also, it sounds very, very good.

Simply amazing work, Ivan (and son). I'm a fan.

Top Bottom