• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

E1DA 9038D Review (portable DAC & Amp)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You are saving&loading correctly, but Min/Max volume aren't being stored at the moment.
I've contacted our dev once again regarding this, so a Tweak9038 update should hopefully come soon.

Excellent- cheers

TheHighContemplator

Yes it will work with Samsung tablets. I use UAPP to get around Android upsampling.

Cheers! I just looked up UAPP. Definitely going to use it. Can you or anyone recommend a good player for the Raspberry Pi operating system?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Cheers! I just looked up UAPP. Definitely going to use it. Can you or anyone recommend a good player for the Raspberry Pi operating system?
Moode looks like a good option. Btw, when using the 9038S/D with a Linux system, you have to access Alsamixer via SSH and increase the DAC's volume there. Otherwise you won't get full output power.

TheHighContemplator

Moode looks like a good option. Btw, when using the 9038S/D with a Linux system, you have to access Alsamixer via SSH and increase the DAC's volume there. Otherwise you won't get full output power.

Thanks StaticV3. I was just going to use the Raspberry Pi OS. Not familiar with Linux.

rlwings

Quick question: If I do a 'Factory Reset' in the app do I need to input the calibration numbers printed on the device or are the calibration settings permanently imprinted on each individual unit? (The new default).

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think I accidentally moved all the sliders in the Tweak app relating to THD settings. Without going by the tiny inscribed numbers on the device is there an easy way to reset it so it's as neutral and "clean" as possible? I think I read there's a way using the numbers inscribed on the device. Is there a Youtube video showing how to do that?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Quick question: If I do a 'Factory Reset' in the app do I need to input the calibration numbers printed on the device or are the calibration settings permanently imprinted on each individual unit? (The new default).
the values engraved on your 9038D only serve one purpose: least distortion at max volume, under no load (external Amp).
I'm guessing that a factory reset will restore THD settings to a universal standard, but I'm not entirely sure.
Unfortunately I don't have a calibrated 9038D unit to test this.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
I think I accidentally moved all the sliders in the Tweak app relating to THD settings. Without going by the tiny inscribed numbers on the device is there an easy way to reset it so it's as neutral and "clean" as possible? I think I read there's a way using the numbers inscribed on the device. Is there a Youtube video showing how to do that?
you can reset the THD settings (along with everything else) under Settings->Restore factory settings.
By default, the 9038D's distortion generator is set up to achieve minimal distortion under a 32Ω load.
The values engraved on your unit represent the optimal settings for no-load, max volume conditions, so when you want to use the 9038D with an external Amp.
Calibrating your 9038D for a specific load would require an Audio Analyzer (something that IVX is already working on).
Otherwise, I recommend you load any one of the official, regular presets for loads close to 32Ω, one of the official DAC presets for loads above ca. 120Ω, or you can just disable the distortion generator by setting the two sliders for each of the three volume ranges to zero.

rlwings

the values engraved on your 9038D only serve one purpose: lest distortion at max volume, under no load (external Amp).
I'm guessing that a factory reset will restore THD settings to a universal standard, but I'm not entirely sure.
Unfortunately I don't have a calibrated 9038D unit to test this.
Thank you, but could you plesase help me to understand... You say "at full output to an amp. So what does that mean? Full preamp output? ... So what distortion settings would you suggest I set mine to for use with an external amp accepting line-level input? Thanks?

rlwings

you can reset the THD settings (along with everything else) under Settings->Restore factory settings.
By default, the 9038D's distortion generator is set up to achieve minimal distortion under a 32Ω load.
The values engraved on your unit represent the optimal settings for no-load, max volume conditions, so when you want to use the 9038D with an external Amp.
Calibrating your 9038D for a specific load would require an Audio Analyzer (something that IVX is already working on).
Otherwise, I recommend you load any one of the official, regular presets for loads close to 32Ω, one of the official DAC presets for loads above ca. 120Ω, or you can just disable the distortion generator by setting the two sliders for each of the three volume ranges to zero.
Sorry, so are you saying that we should input the engraving numbers if the unit is to be used with an external amp at line level?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. I'll just set them to zero.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Thank you, but could you plesase help me to understand... You say "at full output to an amp. So what does that mean? Full preamp output? ... So what distortion settings would you suggest I set mine to for use with an external amp accepting line-level input? Thanks?
when using your 9038D with an external Amp, please set up your zones like this, so that only one zone is ever active across the entire volume range:
Screenshot_20210703-223200.jpg
Then set the 2nd and 3rd harmonic distortion in range 3 to the values printed on your 9038D. negative values mean inverted, positive normal.

staticV3

Master Contributor
On this- I think I am doing something wrong. I want profiles with different max volume limits. So I lower max to (say) -20db and save as a "-20" profile, then do the same for a "-10" profile, but if I then select and load the -20 profile- the max limit stays at the previously set limit (-10 in this example)- so I am guessing either I am saving/ loading wrongly OR the max volume doesnt save with the other profile settings , it has to be changed manually , not by changing profile?
Tweak9038 version 1.0.4 was just released, which allows you to store and load Min/Max volume as well.
Screenshot_1625411414.png

rlwings

when using your 9038D with an external Amp, please set up your zones like this, so that only one zone is ever active across the entire volume range:
View attachment 138934
Then set the 2nd and 3rd harmonic distortion in range 3 to the values printed on your 9038D. negative values mean inverted, positive normal.
Ok, thanks so much for guiding me through this! ... So should I leave the numbers I see in range 1 and range 2 alone, then lower both sliders to the bottom like your image shows, and only input my engraved numbers in range 3? - And finally, should I set the 9038D 'max volume' to 0.5? (For external amp hookup)?

Last edited:

jmillar

Why measured and ranked in 2.7 Vrms and not the "ASR standard" 2.0 Vrms?
It's what the device delivers. I should imagine users will not try to find ways to make it underperform. This device is a noteworthy little amp at reasonable price. Perhaps voltage could be notched back just a smidge by the manufacturer if that would prevent the soft clipping at the very end? Is that even necessary?

jmillar

I'm somewhere in between. Need some of the Android capabilities and ease of access to app functions that iOS bars. But at the same time Android as an OS in terms of consistency and little things like the keyboard (on the fly auto correct) makes it feel like I'm using an iPhone 3G.. SO BAD.

I just need iOS with the freedom for software development that's fueled by third party app stores - if that were to happen, Android is finished in my view.

We are talking "pure" Google Android.
Keyboard autocorrect can be turned off.
I find the interface incredibly flexible, yet elegant and easy to master.
I can use traditional two pane file managers and simple OTG drives and peripherals (without "rooting"!) I feel almost within a "real" computer.
The IPhone makes me feel "hemmed in". Apple let's you know who's boss. And it's not you. Aside from that the IPhone 12 is a well engineered, well built device.

Tks

Major Contributor
We are talking "pure" Google Android.
Keyboard autocorrect can be turned off.
I find the interface incredibly flexible, yet elegant and easy to master.
I can use traditional two pane file managers and simple OTG drives and peripherals (without "rooting"!) I feel almost within a "real" computer.
The IPhone makes me feel "hemmed in". Apple let's you know who's boss. And it's not you. Aside from that the IPhone 12 is a well engineered, well built device.
Its not only the auto correct. The touch response is overall different. And the keyboard itself isnt as crammed from side to side, since they dont use what most Android phones do now (21:9 or similar aspect ratio). Apple uses a slightly wider one (similar to how they use 16:10 monitors and displays of laptops, as opposed to the standard 16:9 everyone else does).

Using a touchscreen phone without auto correct would make me want to get my BlackBerry back. Not really an option if you're trying to speed type.

Top Bottom