• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

E1DA 9038D Review (portable DAC & Amp)

rlwings

The 9038D and 9038SG3 offer a variety of advanced parameter configuration to the user.

To change these, you have two options:
1. You can use a Windows PC to flash specific firmwares to your DAC. These contain a set of fixed parameters according to the name.
2. If your DAC is using the "Tweak" firmware, then you can use the "Tweak9038" app available in the Google Play Store to change settings. The free app has access to only a few basic options while a $10 in-app purchase unlocks everything.
Unfortunately Apple's restrictions on USB data transfer make it impossible to bring that app to iOS.

Both methods will store your config on the DAC itself. Your settings will remain active no matter what USB host device you use and they will not reset.

For a brief overview on all available settings, please take a look at this post:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...38d-review-portable-dac-amp.21556/post-715271
Thanks for your reply and the link. Hopefully I can begin to educate myself. I did buy the app... May I please ask what does the 'Mute' setting do exactly? I deactivated "Stand by" as it doesn't play nice with my PC and Dirac room correction. But I don't get mute? Mute what? Either music is playing or it's silent. Soooo what is it for? - Thanks!

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Thanks for your reply and the link. Hopefully I can begin to educate myself. I did buy the app... May I please ask what does the 'Mute' setting do exactly? I deactivated "Standby" as it doesn't play nice with my PC and Dirac room correction. But I don't get mute? Mute what? Either music is playing or it's silent. Soooo what is it for? - Thanks!
It mutes the DAC when no signal is being received.
Since doing so doesn't reduce power consumption, I generally recommend turning it off for desktop use to reduce play/pause related noises as much as possible.

rlwings

It mutes the DAC when no signal is being received.
Since doing so doesn't reduce power consumption, I generally recommend turning it off for desktop use to reduce play/pause related noises as much as possible.
So turning it "off" means no mute or mute? (For PC use).

TheHighContemplator

turning OFF Mute disables the automatic muting of the DAC.

Hi StaticV3,

Do you know if the 9038D will work with a Raspberry Pi 4 board? I want a nice DAP that I can power with a DIY battery bank, and I'm hoping this combo will do the trick.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi StaticV3,

Do you know if the 9038D will work with a Raspberry Pi 4 board? I want a nice DAP that I can power with a DIY battery bank, and I'm hoping this combo will do the trick.
Yes it will, though I'm not sure how much work it is to set everything up.
Our customers have shared some very impressive DIY projects using a Raspi along with a 9038S/D.
Here's one: http://instagr.am/p/CLDqFqdF90I/

staticV3

Master Contributor
Though if you ask me, then I'd rather go with a compact android phone, to use as a dedicated DAP. (OP9Pro for scale)
Compact Android Phones.jpg

Last edited:

TheHighContemplator

Yes it will, though I'm not sure how much work it is to set everything up.
Our customers have shared some very impressive DIY projects using a Raspi along with a 9038S/D.
Here's one: http://instagr.am/p/CLDqFqdF90I/

That makes me so happy to hear. I was just going to use it externally, not as an all in one solution. The battery bank will be large to power numerous things. I'm going back to my fatherland in South America and I don't want to be without music.

Though if you ask me, then I'd rather go with a compact android phone, to use as a dedicated DAP. (OP9Pro for scale)
View attachment 138451

Do the phones measure as well as the 9038's? Thank you for the replies. I asked this question way back on page 5 twice and no answers. I appreciate your efforts. Another question, will the D work with a Samsung Android tablet?

Last edited:

rlwings

Hey guys. So I hooked up my dongle to the paid app on my phone and turned off 'standby' and 'mute' for use on a PC. But when I press 'save' it says I'm about to overwrite a profile, huh? I never made a profile before. How do you save settings like 'mute' and 'standby' to the dongle after changing them? Thanks.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey guys. So I hooked up my dongle to the paid app on my phone and turned off 'standby' and 'mute' for use on a PC. But when I press 'save' it says I'm about to overwrite a profile, huh? I never made a profile before. How do you save settings like 'mute' and 'standby' to the dongle after changing them? Thanks.
They save by changing them. So does max volume limit.

Think you only need to save profiles if you want to quick change between thd profiles etc

staticV3

Master Contributor
Do the phones measure as well as the 9038's? Thank you for the replies. I asked this question way back on page 5 twice and no answers. I appreciate your efforts. Another question, will the D work with a Samsung Android tablet?
Actually, what I meant was using an Android phone running UAPP with the 9038S/D taped to the back.

staticV3

Master Contributor
As Jimbob said, every setting is saved to the DAC the moment you change it.
The 'Save' button only creates presets within the App, so you can make one for your IEM and one for your headphone for example and quickly switch between them.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Another question, will the D work with a Samsung Android tablet?
If that tablet can supply at least 0.1A to USB accessories and supports audio output via USB, then yes. It'll work.
Unfortunately I cannot answer your question unconditionally, since every Android device is different.

staticV3

Master Contributor
And second, which driver(s) are required to run on Windows 10\64. Doesn't Windows install the correct driver when you plug it in? Mine seemed to. I want to connect it via USB to run in WASAPI mode. Avoiding all Windows mixers, etc. Thanks for any help guys. :)
Sorry for the late reply.
There are only two functions which require you to install the CT7601 driver:
A native ASIO interface and the ability to update your firmware.
Everything else will work with the generic driver that Windows installs automatically.

Furthermore, if you do end up installing the driver, then please be aware that the two drivers act differently regarding their volume control.
After the installation you will notice that you have to increase the volume substantially to get the same loudness as before (at least with default Tweak9038 volume limits).
No need to worry though; the maximum volume is identical for both drivers. It's just the curve between 0 and 100% that has changed, as you can see here:
E1DA_9038_Volume_Curve.png

TheHighContemplator

Actually, what I meant was using an Android phone running UAPP with the 9038S/D taped to the back.
If that tablet can supply at least 0.1A to USB accessories and supports audio output via USB, then yes. It'll work.
Unfortunately I cannot answer your question unconditionally, since every Android device is different.

Cheers for the help. Solid answers.

rlwings

Sorry for the late reply.
There are only two functions which require you to install the CT7601 driver:
A native ASIO interface and the ability to update your firmware.
Everything else will work with the generic driver that Windows installs automatically.

Furthermore, if you do end up installing the driver, then please be aware that the two drivers act differently regarding their volume control.
After the installation you will notice that you have to increase the volume substantially to get the same loudness as before (at least with default Tweak9038 volume limits).
No need to worry though; the maximum volume is identical for both drivers. It's just the curve between 0 and 100% that has changed, as you can see here:
View attachment 138532
Awesome! Thanks for the detailed explanation!

rlwings

Could somebody please advise me as to the best (most transparent) 'Distortion' 'Filter' and 'Master Clock' settings I should choose for use with a home stereo integrated amp setup (Coming from a PC) Spotify, ect. Because I read that by default the device is setup up for the most transparency through headphones. But what about for home stereo use from a PC? - Just want to get the best possible sound quality. My knoledge is limited but I have the paid app. Just looking for a list of best settings in my situation. - Thanks for any direction.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That makes me so happy to hear. I was just going to use it externally, not as an all in one solution. The battery bank will be large to power numerous things. I'm going back to my fatherland in South America and I don't want to be without music.

Yes it will work with Samsung tablets. I use UAPP to get around Android upsampling.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
As Jimbob said, every setting is saved to the DAC the moment you change it.
The 'Save' button only creates presets within the App, so you can make one for your IEM and one for your headphone for example and quickly switch between them.

On this- I think I am doing something wrong. I want profiles with different max volume limits. So I lower max to (say) -20db and save as a "-20" profile, then do the same for a "-10" profile, but if I then select and load the -20 profile- the max limit stays at the previously set limit (-10 in this example)- so I am guessing either I am saving/ loading wrongly OR the max volume doesnt save with the other profile settings , it has to be changed manually , not by changing profile?

staticV3

Master Contributor
On this- I think I am doing something wrong. I want profiles with different max volume limits. So I lower max to (say) -20db and save as a "-20" profile, then do the same for a "-10" profile, but if I then select and load the -20 profile- the max limit stays at the previously set limit (-10 in this example)- so I am guessing either I am saving/ loading wrongly OR the max volume doesnt save with the other profile settings , it has to be changed manually , not by changing profile?
You are saving&loading correctly, but Min/Max volume aren't being stored at the moment.
I've contacted our dev once again regarding this, so a Tweak9038 update should hopefully come soon.

Top Bottom