• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

E-MU Teak Review (Headphone)

GaryH

Major Contributor
SINAD has both THD and noise. Speakers/headphones have no self-noise so they are much better than any electronics there.

The noise floor of the Qudelix (and many other DACs/amps) is around -140 dB down so that's a complete non-issue.

On the distortion-front, the measurements represent the sum of microphone and headphone and no way to separate the two.

That's simply untrue for actual measurement equipments. They can easily go into sub 0.03% range. And even lower as I have never measured better headphones/earphones. Lowest single frequency distortion I have ever measured at relatively low level: 0.005%. Piston type mic/transducer is very accurate and low in distortion.

So that's -70 dB distortion from the measurement mic. That would add only around 1 dB extra distortion to a good headphone with true THD at -61 dB, resulting in a typical headphone THD measurement of -60 dB. Adding say the Qudelix 5K with THD around -87 dB to the headphone's -61 dB THD results in a (coherent worse case) THD of -60.99 dB i.e. an entirely inaudible 0.01 dB extra distortion.

In addition, it takes a very special setup to measure headphones at very low levels as noise pollutes the measurements.

We don't listen to headphones in isolation chambers, so (constant, controlled) environmental noise being part of the measurement actually allows for seeing how much the transducer distortion is above this.

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The noise floor of the Qudelix (and many other DACs/amps) is around -140 dB down so that's a complete non-issue.

So that's -70 dB distortion from the measurement mic. That would add only around 1 dB extra distortion to a good headphone with true THD at -61 dB, resulting in a typical headphone THD measurement of -60 dB. Adding say the Qudelix 5K with THD around -87 dB to the headphone's -61 dB THD results in a (coherent worse case) THD of -60.99 dB i.e. an entirely inaudible 0.01 dB extra distortion.

We don't listen to headphones in isolation chambers, so (constant, controlled) environmental noise being part of the measurement actually allows for seeing how much the transducer distortion is above this.
And whose noise are we going to use as reference, if that should be the case?

GaryH

Major Contributor
There has to be a need for standardisation

Agreed. In addition to my stipulation above to keep as many variables (in this case ambient noise) constant as possible between measurement and listening conditions in order to elicit more accurate correlations between the two (although if the latter is not blind that makes this a moot point), these variables should also be close to the typical values (again in this case ambient noise) the average consumer would experience when listening to their headphones.

mr.at

@amirm great review Amir. Yes I grabbed these in 2016 when they came out initially - direct order from Singapore.
I'd call them endgame for electronic music (for myself), I reviewed them here.

And yes - the woods can SURELY shrink/deshape, and I live in a humid, warm country - Dubai - had the cups taken off for some open back listening, and the woods have become oval now. And those are ebony which are quite dense yet here we are. Now probably gonna have them in a moist environment and force them back to shape. But I think it would surely happen if you take them off and put them aside - as attached, the metal frame may prob prevent them from going out of the tolerances, and also since it fits like a glove in the plastic baffle, and then the headphone circular frame covers it, so... but yes, need to ensure they're not dried out.

So everyone: do maintain your woods properly!

dsnyder0cnn

Yikes! I've only had mine for six months. Indoor humidity seems to stay at around 50%. Good so far…fingers crossed. I have never attempted to remove the Teak cups, and, after reading your story of them becoming oval, I'm even less likely to try now. Good luck!

mr.at

Yikes! I've only had mine for six months. Indoor humidity seems to stay at around 50%. Good so far…fingers crossed. I have never attempted to remove the Teak cups, and, after reading your story of them becoming oval, I'm even less likely to try now. Good luck!

hehe you been warned.

mr.at

dsnyder0cnn

Wow - now this is a steal price tbh. Understandable that this version doesn't have detachable cables - but this is the lowest price these can possibly go to so...

This is triggering me for a back-up pair lol.
Cool. I may do the same. :)

Cacophony

I have a technical question about this headphone and the TH-X00, they both seem to have a sharp drop off starting from 40hz, what would cause this, I want to EQ but I'm sceptical that it would make that frequency range start to impact the mids and that maybe the drop off is by design for that reason.

I don't think I listen to more than 85db spl at most, (depending on if you can calculate actual spl from headphone impedance+watt from amp measurements)

dsnyder0cnn

I have a technical question about this headphone and the TH-X00, they both seem to have a sharp drop off starting from 40hz, what would cause this, I want to EQ but I'm sceptical that it would make that frequency range start to impact the mids and that maybe the drop off is by design for that reason.

I don't think I listen to more than 85db spl at most, (depending on if you can calculate actual spl from headphone impedance+watt from amp measurements)
I'm using Amir's suggested correction on the E-MU Teaks with great results so far. No obvious signs of distortion, even at fairly spirited levels.

mr.at

ShakimdezXL

Ah - toys with the feelings of my wallet every time...
Hey dsnyder0cnn,

I can't say I like what you have done with your E-MU, but I do love that you really made them your own! I'm actually waiting on a set to be shipped with balanced 4 pin xlr cables and additional Ebony cups. After my honeymoon period, depending on how they sound to my ears, I'll change the pads and definitely zip tie the flimsy cup hinge which is held together with a cheap small black screw. This is the reason I completely lost confidence with my Fostex Ebony and sold them. Now, a couple of years later I'm still looking for worthy replacement but to no avail, hence the E-MU Teak. Granted the zip tie may not be aesthetically pleasing but the will do wonders to my peace of mind. I wonder if you have had any issues with the hinge with your E-MU?

mr.at

Hey dsnyder0cnn,

I can't say I like what you have done with your E-MU, but I do love that you really made them your own! I'm actually waiting on a set to be shipped with balanced 4 pin xlr cables and additional Ebony cups. After my honeymoon period, depending on how they sound to my ears, I'll change the pads and definitely zip tie the flimsy cup hinge which is held together with a cheap small black screw. This is the reason I completely lost confidence with my Fostex Ebony and sold them. Now, a couple of years later I'm still looking for worthy replacement but to no avail, hence the E-MU Teak. Granted the zip tie may not be aesthetically pleasing but the will do wonders to my peace of mind. I wonder if you have had any issues with the hinge with your E-MU?

Hey! Yeah I wanted a semi-open setting for my cans - I've since moved to open backs in my whole stable (almost all of them), it really relaxes any fatigue issues, and makes them airier. I guess everyone has their preference - regardless, these cans are still stunning with the original cups as they're still semi-open in a way and not fully closed anyhow.

Hmmm well personally, I've not had any issues with the hinges. I try to be careful with them and treat them nicely - I can see the trade-off of how they designed them to look good but made them quite delicate in doing so.

Should be okay with careful use, I guess we can't have everything. Worse case I guess I will scramble for a pair should this one give me any lemons along the way...

Hmmm I don't know how cable ties will look. I'll see if there's anything else more creative one could do by.

phrwn

I had TH-X00 for several years of daily use and now Teaks for about a year, same regular use, and have no issues whatsoever with build, hinges or otherwise. I handle them delicately and hang them on a stand to avoid scratching the wood, but that's about it. I'm not quite sure what the issue is with the hinges - I've seen it mentioned elsewhere as well.

Now I've said that I expect they'll fully disintegrate tomorrow, but thought it worth mentioning a lack of issues as the internet generally excels at accumulating and amplifying the opposite.

Top Bottom