• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

E-MU Teak Review (Headphone)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the E-MU Teak closed back headphone. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $500 with the removable cable that I tested.

I must say, as a woodworker, I have a soft spot for anything made out of wood with nice figure:

E-MU Teak Review Headphones.jpg

Even if you are not a woodworker, one adjustment of the headband puts a smile on your face. It moves in an out with a feeling of smoothness that is hard to describe, but easy to appreciate. Put them on your head and they just melt over you. It is not 100% comfortable due to rectangular opening of the cups but it is almost there.

Weight is average:

lighest closed back headphone review.png

Cup dimensions are 59x33x24 mm (inside height, width and depth).

Note: The measurements you are about to see are made using a standardized Gras 45C. Headphone measurements by definition are approximate and variable so don't be surprised if other measurements even if performed with the same fixtures as mine, differ in end results. Protocols vary such as headband pressure and averaging (which I don't do). As you will see, I confirm the approximate accuracy of the measurements using Equalization and listening tests. Ultimately headphone measurements are less exact than speakers mostly in bass and above a few kilohertz so keep that in mind as you read these tests. If you think you have an exact idea of a headphone performance, you are likely wrong!

Fitment on the fixture was easy and good to my surprise.

E-MU Teak Measurements
Let's start with our usual frequency response measurements:

E-MU Teak Frequency Response Measurements Headphones.png

There are fair number of irregularities in the response but if you look past them, there is broad agreement with our preference curve in dashed blue. So overall tonality should be good sans the extra energy above 5 kHz which can make it sound bright. Relative graph for eq purposes shows the same:

E-MU Teak Relative Frequency Response Measurements Headphones.png

I really like the extended bass response which we rarely see in headphones despite research indicating the listener desire and preference.

Distortion is typical in the way it rises in low frequencies:

E-MU Teak relative distortion vs Frequency Response Measurements Headphones.png

E-MU Teak distortion vs Frequency Response Measurements Headphones.png

Since we don't have to add much equalization for bass, I am not too worried about that. There is some peaking around 2.2 kHz which I wish was not there. Fortunately at lower SPL levels it barely registers.

Group delay shows the effect of some of those kinks in the response as likely being some secondary resonance or reflection:

E-MU Teak Group Delay vs Frequency Response Measurements Headphones.png

Impedance is low and mostly flat:

E-MU Teak Impedance vs Frequency Response Measurements Headphones.png

Sensitivity is well above average which should make it easy to drive:
most sensitive closed back headphone.png

E-MU Teak Headphone Listening Tests and Equalization
At first blush, the overall tonality sounds right and combined with some spatial effects, you think you are there already. But after listening a bit more, I started to notice the extra brightness. So I brought out the EQ to see if the measurements back that or not:

E-MU Teak Equalization EQ Parametric.png

I took a couple of peaks down as you see. The effect is subtle due to narrow correction. That lost a bit of spatial effects but I more than made up for it with the 3300 Hz increase. Indeed, there now was more than delightful amount of that. A bit of sub-pass boost and now you have a gorgeous sounding headphone! Very nice.

Conclusions
The E-MU Teak is beautiful to look at and hold. Objective performance out of box is near that as well. Add some EQ though and you wind up with a super nice sounding headphone with good spatial effects and superb dynamics and bass. It put a smile on my face on track after track that I played.

I am going to put the E-MU Teak on my recommendation list. With equalization, I am going to strongly recommend it.

Note: I read elsewhere that if you live in a dry place, the wooden cups can shrink so much that they can detach!

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Attachments

• E-MU Teak Frequency Response.zip
    24.3 KB · Views: 246

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Wondering how my THX-00 Ebony compares now :D I didn't really like it because I felt there was bass distortion and a resonant peak somewhere in the treble which makes it a bit hard to listen to. These impressions were back when I was still relatively inexperienced though (but with teenage ears)

phoenixsong

Thanks for the review Amir. Is it just me or are these copying denon in the looks. Good to see decent tonality out of the box
The Denon D series was the source of inspiration I believe, for both the Creative E-Mu and Fostex TH/TR series. Some of the Fostex models were launched really early too though, so maybe both Fostex and Denon did it together who knows. They were using drivers from the same manufacturer, that much is known at least. I think if you trace back far enough for biocellulose drivers and this rough headphone shape/structure the Sony R10 may be said to be the first

Last edited:

m8o

Forum Donor
This was all the rage a few years back. I 'think' was considered better than the TH-X00. [?]

This review 'may' bring renewed interest to it.

QuantumNet

A few things I will add to the review that Amir did not cover:

1. These are only available on Emu’s website. The order form is… well… a bit primitive, weird, and bit off putting (it almost seems like you’ll get scammed at first sight). Basically send money to Emu’s paypal account and just wait a few weeks (for USA). Occasionally Drop has had these on this past, but not recently AFAIK.

2. The detachable cable it comes with, in my opinion, sucks. In my experience if you rub it on ANYTHING, you will hear it. Definitely recommend a cheap third party cable.

3. Even though they’re closed back headphones, they do leak a fair bit of sound. Wouldn’t wear them if you’re near a lot of people.

4. Some reports of the hinges being delicate and breakable… so be a bit careful.

Subjectively, I love the sound from them. Though, there are certain songs that really play on that >5kHz peak and can become pretty bright sounding.

All-in-all though, they’re great.

phoenixsong

This was all the rage a few years back. I 'think' was considered better than the TH-X00. [?]

This review 'may' bring renewed interest to it.
Yeah, Tyll of Innerfidelity back then really liked it. Some reviewers claims it sounded cleaner than the Purpleheart and Mahogany versions of the TH-X00 and with more character/flavour/engagement than the Ebony version, which they described as boring in comparison. There have also been reviews liking the Fostex TH610's more "balanced" sound over the Ebony's relatively "bassy" nature. I wonder how these impressions would show up as in measurements

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some reviewers claims it sounded cleaner than the Purpleheart and Mahogany versions of the TH-X00 and with more character/flavour/engagement than the Ebony version, which they described as boring in comparison.

Thinking.jpg

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
To import this PEQ profile into 'Equalizer APO', use:
Preamp: -5.4 dB
Filter 1: ON LS Fc 30 Hz Gain 5.0 dB Q 1.0
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 3289 Hz Gain 2.5 dB Q 3.0
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 5464 Hz Gain -5.0 dB Q 5.0
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 10600 Hz Gain -6.0 dB Q 5.0
Otherwise, see my PEQ guide.
..................................................................................................................
For those who don't have PEQ-capable app, and want to use GEQs instead:
See my GEQ guide for 10-band, 31-band, and 127-band GEQ profiles.

Last edited:

PeteL

Major Contributor
The Denon D series was the source of inspiration I believe, for both the Creative E-Mu and Fostex TH/TR series. Some of the Fostex models were launched really early too though, so maybe both Fostex and Denon did it together who knows. They were using drivers from the same manufacturer, that much is known at least. I think if you trace back far enough for biocellulose drivers and this rough headphone shape/structure the Sony R10 may be said to be the first
@Vini darko

Not Really, Foster is the OEM Segment of Fostex, and always have been making the drivers and the headphones, Denon simply purchased these as OEM and Put their Logo on it. Same with EMU but they are From "Foster-Fostex"

phoenixsong

Not Really, Foster is the OEM Segment of Fostex, and always have been making the drivers and the headphones, Denon simply purchased these as OEM and Put their Logo on it. Same with EMU but they are From "Foster-Fostex"
Oh so is it something like Audioblast cables and their relation with World's Best Cables?

PeteL

Major Contributor
Oh so is it something like Audioblast cables and their relation with World's Best Cables?
Not sure, but OEM is everywhere in this industry, many brand don't developp all of their catalog and purchase design from someone else. These informations are hidden normally but since this design has history and the contract is expired we can know in this case.
https://www.foster-electric.com/products/pdf/headphones.pdf
Look at page 4, anybody can purchase this design now

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks Amir. Nice to see another good performer, especially at this price.

I would avoid them because of the wood, regardless of how pretty it is. There are more suitable materials for headphone cups, and more suitable applications for nice wood.

Walt_Tech

I would love to see measurements of the phase differential of the left and right drivers like rtings since its something we can hear, is that something you could add in future testing?

wwenze

Major Contributor
Thus not surprising that during the whole SXFi saga, the only good thing that came out and was praised unanimously was the bundled E-MU Teak headphone.

Not the first time this happened, but looks like the general populace generally agree on what generally sounds good, in most general contexts. And I'm trying to add use as many "general" in one sentence.

Top Bottom