• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dynaudio vs Genelec... No, it's not an easy question...

Hi everyone!

First of all, I would like to thank @amirm and @hardisj for their amazing reviews. This is the sort of thing that I always wanted to have: honest audio reviews (measurements aside) without any typical BS you can find in most of other audiophile outlets.

Now here is my situation and why I want to ask for an advice from the community. I have two sets of speakers (in two different apartments) which I use as desktop speakers for my PC. Those are Dynaudio Xeo 2 and Dynaudio Xeo 4 speakers.

If you don't know about what those speakers are, those are previous generation active wireless speakers from Dynaudio. The Xeo 4 is a bigger one while Xeo 2 is like a compact bookshelf speaker, but they both have 14 cm woofer.

The Xeo 4 is actually installed in a smaller room with a smaller desktop, I'm fully content with it and I'm not going to change it (I don't think I'll get any significant improvements because of the small room size). Now, I do want to upgrade the desk where Xeo 2 is installed.

Let's talk a bit why I decided to go with Dynaudio in the first place. I purchased them quite some time ago and I wasn't aware of any objective reviewers back then. Dynaudio was the safest choice for me, as everyone I consulted was saying only good things about the brand, so I trusted the "consensus" and purchased them.

If we talk about their sound, I actually think they are great speakers. I don't have any measurements to back this up, so take this with a grain of salt, but I was used to go (pre-pandemic) to concerts without sound amplification. So comparing how an actual orchestra sounds with how Dynaudio Xeo 4 and Xeo 2 reproduces the sound of an orchestra, the result is quite impressive. They are very similar, the real things is a bit more "real", of course. But it is impressive.

Overall, I have the same subjective impressions as Amir expressed in his Dynaudio LYD 5 review: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s/dynaudio-lyd-5-studio-monitor-review.15963/ My environment is not picky, so the sound is good.

Now, if I compare Xeo 2 with Xeo 4, Xeo 4 sounds better. It has more bass and it feels like the sound has "more texture" to it. I know, it doesn't make much sense trying to describe it like this. I suspect Xeo 4 probably measures better and that's it, but I have no confirmation.

Regardless, I think it's time to upgrade my little Xeo 2 for something a bit bigger.

I have two choices here:

1. Go for the new Dynaudio Xeo 20 (~2100€), which is an improved version of Xeo 4. I suspect that it will sound very similar to the previous version, but, hopefully, even better. I must note, that Xeo 4 and Xeo 2 were created before Dynaudio deployed their Jupiter facility, but Xeo 10 and Xeo 20 should have benefited from it.

2. Switch the brand and go with Genelec G Four (~2600€). I don't want to mess too much with the studio monitors, so I want to go with the consumer version. My listening distance would be 85 cm from it, which is more than enough according to Genelec speaker selector page. Also, it would stand 10 cm away from the wall, which should be OK.

Now, you may ask why I'm not considering Genelec G Three. The reason is that this speaker has 13 cm woofer, which seems like a bit of downgrade comparing to Xeo's 14 cm woofer. I'm not really sure what effect it may have, but I guess that the woofer size is important. Genelec G Four, however, has 16,5 cm woofer, so it's a clear upgrade in that regard.

Now, I'm also aware that G Four is an older model, but it's still state of art and must have quite nice measurements. So I think it is surely a safe choice even though it's not the newest speaker. I also assume that they probably have better measurements than Xeo 20 and, surely, better directivity.

So you may ask, what's the deal, go with the G Four! Here's the little problem that I have... I've seen the unboxing video of G Four, and it looks like it doesn't have any remote control, or a volume knob, or anything. You just connect it to your PC and then you control the sound volume from there.

It's not a big deal, but with the Xeo's I'm getting a very fine remote control, 3.5 mm jack connector and also a Bluetooth connection, which I do use, because I also work remotely right now, so I use the Xeo's as a sound output for Microsoft Teams calls. It's incredibly comfortable to just switch the input and use the same speakers with two PCs (one PC is my personal one, and the other is work's PC).

I also think that when it comes to measurements, Xeo 20 must be pretty good. The specs state Frequency response (±3dB): 40Hz – 21kHz. Amir's measurements of LYD 5 confirmed that the specs were mostly correct, so I trust Dynaudio on this. G Four specs are ±2.5 dB (48 Hz - 20 kHz). I also trust Genelec, and according to specs, G Four are a bit better, but not that much. I would say, they are probably not significantly better.

The directivity of G Four is going to be much better for sure, but I'm going to be listening to music in my sweet spot, with my ears at the level of tweeters or slightly above they, which is the best position for Dynaudio, where the frequency is "flat". So the directivity as such is not going to be an issue.

So right now I'm a bit torn apart. I like Dynaudio a lot for their combination of good sound and great convenience, but I'm afraid that I'm going to miss on something great regarding the sound quality and I'm sure that with Genelec I won't miss any of that. On the other hand, the inconvenience of G Four like the lack of remote, I just have a feeling that it may also annoy me a little bit and I want to be comfortable all the time. This is also important for a speaker.

To be honest, I'm also a bit annoyed at both companies...

1. Regarding Dynaudio, I'm annoyed that they still don't have waveguides and other things that improve audio quality. If they decide to upgrade their design, I'm sure they will beat Genelec, as they have an advantage in convenience factor.

2. Regarding Genelec, why don't they have remote control, Bluetooth and wireless connectivity between speakers? Like seriously, this is not 2012 anymore.

So here I'm, and I want an advice from the community. What do you think about my choices? Maybe you have a better proposal?

I'll be grateful for your advises.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Genelec all the way. It's not even a competition.
I use the 8030- the difference is only in connections I believe. So if you do have xlr, there is no reason to go for the g series.

As for apps and remotes: the genelec i have is connected to a topping preamp/dac with a remote. Music is controlled on my phone. I use a raspberry pi as streamer.

markb

I’m not sure what you mean by “I don’t want to mess too much with the studio monitors” - a simple 3.5mm trs jack to dual XLR adapter cable should be all you need. The 80xx line and the G series are pretty much the same, only the 80xx save you quite a bit of money that is perhaps better spent on a simple dac/preamp with the features you’re looking for.

Last edited:

YSC

Major Contributor
My preference is Genelec, but the G series unless you insist on using RCA inputs, then the 8040 version is better pick, as XLR offers better noise rejection, beside that, Genelec say that themselves that G series are exactly the same in terms of material and tolerances, yet the studio version 8040 is the cheaper one, so you saved up a meal at least depends on where you get them. for bluetooth and connection ease, if you want a all in one package the Dynaudio is easier, but Genelec you can just add a cheap bluetooth capable dac with remote and then you can use it for both pc, say one with USB input one with SPDIF input. since you will be putting them near walls so bass extension should actually goes better than specs which is anechoic data.

One more plus side (major for me) for Genelec is that they have the dip switches to counter desktop or wall gain quite well to produce a more or less neutral profile easily, where most vendors don't, my own experience was that the desktop mode on my desktop really makes it sounded much less boomy and more comfortable to listen to. not to say the overall better flatness of Genelec

mononoaware

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think it is a easy question with easy answer. . . Genelec.
Dynaudio designs look a little dated. . .

I think it is a case of “giving what the consumer market wants” even if that means sticking to older designs (typical of HiFi market).
Compared to giving “what the professional market wants” which turns out to be more informed and refined. . .

kuf

One more vote for Genelec and especially the G series

and maybe consider the cheaper and smaller 8030 with a small Genelec subwoofer for easy integration

Edit
Sorry, I wanted to say the 80xx or 83x0 series, NOT the G series

apologies

Last edited:

Tangband

Major Contributor
The Genelec G serie is NOT the same as the 8030c and 8330 serie !

The older G serie dont use class D amplifiers .
Or, Maybe they have changed that recently.? Remember that the ” new” 8030C with class D amplifiers sounds better than the older G3 or 8030B .

YSC

Major Contributor
I believe the G series uses the same equivalent 8000 series amps. Some use AB other use D.
Just checked Genelec webpage and they are using the same class D spec for G3, it should be (logically so) same as 8030C sens changing the back for RCA input addition

OP
S
Thanks everyone for the replies!!

I think, I'll definitely go with Genelec. Your advises are all very reasonable. It will be a bit sad to switch from Dynaudio, but a blind loyalty to a brand is just silly. And I have a feeling that I'll love Genelecs.

I'll try to go physically to a Genelec dealer nearby and consult them about the exact model for my use case. It probably will be 8040 or G Four, but I also want to consider 8030/G Three with a sub.

The question that remains: what would you recommend me as the electronic component for the volume control?

I would like something that has:

1. a remote control
2. USB or 3.5 input for a PC
3. Bluetooth for another PC
4. XLR output for Genelecs

I already took a look at Topping and it looks really, really good. Any other suggestions?

a simple 3.5mm trs jack to dual XLR adapter cable should be all you need
Oh, I see... It's that easy. Thanks!

PyramidElectric

Re Volume control, with my Genelec 8020 I'm using a topping E30 with 1.5m RCA to XLR cables and it all works just fine - doesn't do bluetooth though.

TimW

Major Contributor
The question that remains: what would you recommend me as the electronic component for the volume control?

1. a remote control

SMSL M200
SMSL SU-8s
Topping EX5
Topping D30 Pro
Gustard X16
Matrix Mini-i 3

Kachda

Forum Donor
Thanks everyone for the replies!!

I think, I'll definitely go with Genelec. Your advises are all very reasonable. It will be a bit sad to switch from Dynaudio, but a blind loyalty to a brand is just silly. And I have a feeling that I'll love Genelecs.

I'll try to go physically to a Genelec dealer nearby and consult them about the exact model for my use case. It probably will be 8040 or G Four, but I also want to consider 8030/G Three with a sub.

1. a remote control

I already took a look at Topping and it looks really, really good. Any other suggestions?

Oh, I see... It's that easy. Thanks!
I have been looking for a similar solution (rotary volume control, remote, ideally headphone amp as well), and at the moment Topping EX-5 seems to be top contendor. Khadas Tone 2 is also good, but it doesn't have XLR if you need that, and note sure about bluetooth.

mightycicadalord

Don't settle for the 8030 if you can afford 8040, the larger woofer is worth the extra cost. I don't care for the 8030, too small, tweeter is good but the woofer is a let down. You gain more than extension and spl with larger woofer.

Mentioned dynaudio not keeping up to date with waveguides. Used to feel the same but get them both in the room and you'll hear that there are pros and cons. I prefer no waveguide anymore as the stereo image is often much wider and there is a more defined placement in the field. Waveguide issues for me are a more narrow image, diffuse center, and sometimes you get some peaks added to the response. You can see the peaks on close driver measurements, 8030c has them.

Last edited:

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I got the Dyns X14A a year ago at discount by 1000 €, new. For sure the Genelecs 8040 or 8050 are better, but, aside from the price difference (Genelecs are expensive!), I'm not so sure I would be able to tell them apart in a stereo setup and with a non-treated room. To me, the latter is the most important part. I'm not an expert, but the more I read here the more I have the impression that the investment that pays off the more is in the room, position, etc. Perhaps when I have a perfect room I can evaluate to sell the Dyns and buy a better ones. That's my current position, which of course can change at any moment.

Top Bottom