• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dynaudio Special 40 - WTF!

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I usually don't agree with him on many things but I agree that the famous Dynaudio woofer used there is really a mess and not really suitable for a usual 2-way loudspeaker, measurements of it without crossover at 2:30.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dynaudio Special 40 measurements from:

Soundstage NRC

Stereophile

Poor cabinet resonances, poor port resonances, issues with woofer response in its upper range, issues with crossover.

But it makes up for all of those things by being expensive and called "Special."

Those measurements don't look bad to me, though I suppose for the price, they are.

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is that 1k peak surrounding edge resonance, inherent to almost every 165mm driver but way worse on this one by looks. Hard(er) to EQ out?

RobS

Forum Donor
His new crossover smooths the 1K peak and creates a new 3K off-axis peak. I'm not sure if its a real upgrade...but I guess we'll see.
Danny is using a 2nd order filter on the tweeter just to afford a bit more bandwidth which is dumb. Now the phase characteristics are fucked up.

I don’t know how anyone takes him seriously. He’s just shilling expensive upgrade kits and copper cables. Did you see that $120 Sony speaker video? $300 upgrade for that lol. And those Sony’s are turds.

Beave

Major Contributor
Those measurements don't look bad to me, though I suppose for the price, they are.

I generally agree. The measurements overall aren't too bad. But there are several notable flaws when you dig a little deeper, and that shouldn't be the case with such a pricey standmount speaker.

jonfitch

Danny is using a 2nd order filter on the tweeter just to afford a bit more bandwidth which is dumb. Now the phase characteristics are fucked up.

I don’t know how anyone takes him seriously. He’s just shilling expensive upgrade kits and copper cables. Did you see that $120 Sony speaker video? $300 upgrade for that lol. And those Sony’s are turds.

I remember when Usher introduced the BE series of speakers to the international market in 2007. The BE-718 is $1300 in Taiwan. The international version is "voiced" by Dannie Ritchie, who added some high end speaker wire inside the speaker and switched out some crossover caps. The international version got its priced boosted to $2795. I ended up acquiring an Asian market version (with a white finish) a while later and well as a Western market version (piano black) to figure out what the difference was. They sounded exactly the same. That's when I realized the whole audiophile crossover psychobabble was all bullshit.

Jim85IROC

I'm not familiar with that tweeter, but most 1" dome tweeters start to have rapid onset of distortion down within an octave of fs, which can't be much less than 1khz on that unit. Crossing that thing much below 2k can't be ideal.

TankTop

I have a pair and I’ve messaged Danny and Amirm to see if all parties would be open to a before and after testing of these speakers. I’ll put my speakers up for testing if the other parties involved are willing to donate a little time, testing and parts. I’m willing to sacrifice my warranty and shipping plus time with my babies, not cheap!!!

McFly

I have a pair and I’ve messaged Danny and Amirm to see if all parties would be open to a before and after testing of these speakers. I’ll put my speakers up for testing if the other parties involved are willing to donate a little time, testing and parts. I’m willing to sacrifice my warranty and shipping plus time with my babies, not cheap!!!
Would be cool to see, but you'd probably be without them for a while, risk damage in shipping (probably the most likely) and I doubt Danny's going to want to risk being put underground by the NFS.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I'm sure Amir we be on board. I doubt Danny is, though. Too risky for him if the NFS shows that the upgrades do little or somehow make it worse.

McFly

Plus in dynaudios defense - I'm not backing dynaudio or this speaker - the special 40 was developed before the Jupiter was put into service. The Jupiter is what the NFS wants to be when it grows up. We should be seeing much better product coming from Dynaudio provided the Jupiter wasnt a marketing stunt, but from what we've seen in the Evoke series I'm not so confident. The Evoke series was I believe the first line to be developed using 'Jupiter'

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You don't really need a Jupiter or NFS though to see the significant problems of the S40 or design a better loudspeaker than that. Those just make the measuring faster and are the icing on the cake when it comes to highest precision.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Crossing that thing much below 2k can't be ideal.

It's insanity. Tweeters simply cannot absorb or dissipate the power/heat at those frequencies and at any decent levels. Not just dynamic compression you'll be dealing with, but cooked/vaporized VCs.

akarma

I don't know how correct his measurements are but if it is true my way more cheaper Emit M20 is top notch comparing with Special 40

Top Bottom