• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dynaudio LYD 5 for testing

DanGuitarMan

I'm interested in sending one of my Dynaudio LYD 5 speakers to Amir for testing. The issue is I'm in New Jersey and shipping would be a beast. Is there anyone living near Seattle who is using this speaker and interested in sending theirs in? I'll split shipping costs with ya :D

Zala DK

Forum Donor
A general question, does anyone know what kind of class D amps that is inside Dynaudio or other high end active speakers? I am thinking, is it Icepower or Hypex or..

maty

Major Contributor
Last edited:
OP
DanGuitarMan

DanGuitarMan

I can hear a slight hiss when there's nothing connected to them. Once music is going - I really couldn't tell you. I've never owned any more expensive active near-fields, but I imagine the Genelecs and Adams reviewed here whoop the Dynaudio's butt in that regard.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I've got a pair of LYD 5.

Amir lives about 1 hour from me.

But I'd rather see him measure the Core series, and I'd like to hear it, so I can see if all the hype about the Hexis tweeter
is real.

OP
DanGuitarMan

DanGuitarMan

I've got a pair of LYD 5.

Amir lives about 1 hour from me.

But I'd rather see him measure the Core series, and I'd like to hear it, so I can see if all the hype about the Hexis tweeter
is real.

Yeah, it would be good to see the Core series measured.

If you decide to make the drive to Amir's and get the LYD 5 measured, I'll chip in for gas. I'm so interested because the LYD 5 has a high crossover frequency of 5.2k. With the 5" woofer, it should start beaming around 2.7k. I also wonder about distortion possibilities in the high-midrange. In my mind - if you're gonna engineer a speaker that differently, the measurements better show improvement.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
With the 5" woofer, it should start beaming around 2.7k.

How far away are you sitting??

The potential beaming is pretty irrelevant if you're using them ultra near field because you're right on axis and very close.

On my DAW desktop, I can reach out and touch the LYD 5 with my hand from the chair without even bending forward, < 1m away.

As the polar plot shows, they're vertically a little sensitive, but I have them on height-adjustable IsoAcoustics stands, so can get them to the exact height I want them.

Last edited:
OP
DanGuitarMan

DanGuitarMan

How far away are you sitting??

The potential beaming is pretty irrelevant if you're using them ultra near field because you're right on axis and very close.

On my DAW desktop, I can reach out and touch the LYD 5 with my hand from the chair without even bending forward, < 1m away.

As the polar plot shows, they're vertically a little sensitive, but I have them on heigh-adjustable Iso Acoustics stands, so can get them to the exact height I want them.

Well I have them in a mixed-use kind of set up. The closest I can sit is about 1.5m for more critical applications. They are also my general music/movie speakers, so far field can be 3m.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Well I have them in a mixed-use kind of set up. The closest I can sit is about 1.5m for more critical applications. They are also my general music/movie speakers, so far field can be 3m.

Yeah...3 m is probably outside their intended use case.

I'd want to use something bigger that far away.

OP
DanGuitarMan

DanGuitarMan

Yeah...3 m is probably outside their intended use case.

I'd want to use something bigger that far away.

Absolutely. I needed something that would satisfy the looks and size requirements of my wife, so a compromise was made.

Edit: There are a few candidates what would work. Neumann KH80, small Genelecs, etc. Those measure exceedingly well, so that's why I'm interested in the LYDs measurements.

Last edited:
Top Bottom