• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dynaudio Evoke 10

OP
M

mindcruncher

You might find it sounds fine to you, as AVRs go, it's not weak.
As you say it's not weak, and I understand it's probably amps out there that give more bang for the buck.

Hypex looks interesting and I try to get my head around it. Is it like OEM-parts and you build your own stuff?

Also want to thank everyone answering all my questions! :)

Last edited:

audio2920

Hypex looks interesting and I try to get my head around it. Is it like OEM-parts and you build your own stuff?
You can buy modules and DIY it, or you can buy a "normal" pre-built amplifier that uses the same guts. There's loads of people using their modules. Hattor, NAD, Nord, Apollon and VTV being just a few.

There's also PURIFI modules; same idea.

Even their base models are *likely* going to measure better on the test bench than the Denon, but enough to be worth the expense and hassle for you? Don't know.

I'm might call the suppliers I use and see if they can get Evokes again now... I'd sort of forgotten about them until this thread :)

jd_cincy

First post here, but found this thread and I'm in a similar situation.

I've already ordered the Evoke 10s for my cloffice setup (10x6 space that opens into a 20x15 space). I'm running a Denon 4311ci which advertises 140w with 2 channels driven. I do use 4 channels when streaming, but run it in Direct or Stereo mode when listening to music with an external DAC. The Evokes are inefficient at 6ohm / 84dB with handling of 160w. I want to ensure they're sufficiently powered, and I'm ok upgrading individual components, so have been looking at stereo power amps.

The HypeXs have come up a lot in searches and seem interesting. Where the decision becomes difficult is do I want / care about the modular version with a different opamp? Is there a major audible different between those and a MP version? Or lastly, should I get a base modular version with the ability to swap opamps in the future? The pricing jumps from $800 for basic, to $1000 for basic modular, and up to $2000 for some configurations depending on options selected.

audio2920

My take would be: Even the most basic 252MP based amp is likely going to be "very good" with a speaker like this. Peronally, if you don't need the geek points / bragging rights, I'd go with that and be happy. Perhaps put the money saved to work elsewhere in the system. (Dirac/EQ, Room treatment, DAC etc). Or go on a holiday. Either way :)

To get technical, I think you can expect SINAD (Signal to noise + distortion) to be up to 10dB better with a decent NC400 build versus a budget MP. But how much this matters in your setup I dunno.

I've got NC500, 252MP, and 502MPs but I only once did some testing relating to the differences, and sadly that was only on entry level Dynaudio Emit 20s.

I swapped from a Crown DSi2000 to a 252MP and was like "ok, wow, this is noticably better" then I swapped to the NC500s and it was more "hmm.. is that different?" Maybe a better speaker would be more revealing of the difference in amps; but I'm pretty convinced that's not always true.

I also don't have any NC400 amps for reference. So maybe an absolutely top dollar one of those might be a step forward, but I somehow doubt it would give me another "wow" moment against the NC500s or even the 252MPs I've already got.

Sorry this reply is probably less helpful than I first thought it might be :)

audio2920

Forgot to add, the Crown is hardly a benchmark for hi-fi, so maybe this is less praise for Hypex and more criticism of the Crown, ha! (To be fair to Crown, the DSi was bullet proof in it's previous life being hammered 10 hours a day and running 24/7, so for it's intended use, it would be wrong to be too critical)

jd_cincy

My take would be: Even the most basic 252MP based amp is likely going to be "very good" with a speaker like this. Peronally, if you don't need the geek points / bragging rights, I'd go with that and be happy. Perhaps put the money saved to work elsewhere in the system. (Dirac/EQ, Room treatment, DAC etc). Or go on a holiday. Either way :)

To get technical, I think you can expect SINAD (Signal to noise + distortion) to be up to 10dB better with a decent NC400 build versus a budget MP. But how much this matters in your setup I dunno.

I've got NC500, 252MP, and 502MPs but I only once did some testing relating to the differences, and sadly that was only on entry level Dynaudio Emit 20s.

I swapped from a Crown DSi2000 to a 252MP and was like "ok, wow, this is noticably better" then I swapped to the NC500s and it was more "hmm.. is that different?" Maybe a better speaker would be more revealing of the difference in amps; but I'm pretty convinced that's not always true.

I also don't have any NC400 amps for reference. So maybe an absolutely top dollar one of those might be a step forward, but I somehow doubt it would give me another "wow" moment against the NC500s or even the 252MPs I've already got.

Sorry this reply is probably less helpful than I first thought it might be :)
It's helpful, although I'd not heard of a NC 400 before this post, so something else to consider. :D I'm actually running Emit 10s at the moment until the Evokes are off backorder. There are limits to the optimization in the room due to size. The speakers are plugged due to being very close to the back wall. I do have sound treatments on the wall behind me, but not really enough space to put treatments behind the speakers, and I have a sub, albeit a ****** one that I'm also looking to upgrade sometime soon.

Thanks for replying!

Wolfpacker

You could go for Genelec, Neumann, Focal or even Dynaudio Lyd series. Kali In8 could be an option to if you can handle the design.

Connect the studio monitors using RCAs from the pre-outs on the receiver. Higher-end receivers will have RCA “pre-outs” for the different channels. A pre-out acts as an audio passthrough and does not send any extra power through this output. This ensures that the studio monitor is not damaged by any extra power being input to it. This is by far the best way to connect studio monitors to a receiver!
If distance between Denon and active monitors is ~ 50-65 feet, will RCA cable work or will resistance be too high? If too high, can one use long balanced XLR and at level of Denon, use some form of interconnect con=version box to convert the signal down to very short RCA cable connecting then into Denon?

OP
M

mindcruncher

My search for a new speaker seems to come to an end but it's none of them at my shortlist.

I finally choosed Larsen 4.3. The brand is kind of new to me but are actually made just 50km away from me.
The store I listened at them in are new and they also had KEF R3 that sounded really good but Larsen gave me a wow-feeling :)

Thanks for all help!

Now I will probably search for a new amp. But that's probably a new thread ;)

// Johan
@audio2920

Top Bottom