• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dynaudio Evoke 10

mindcruncher

Hello there.

Since I don't have any dealer (Except one that only have Dali and B&W, and they are always so pushy and stress me out :)) around where I live i'm on
painful mission to find new speakers. I got my eyes on Dynaudio Evoke 10, but havent find any comments how they goes with electronic music like Deep house, ambient and deep dubby techno.
I also play games (Gaming most with headphones tho) and watching movies but not looking for the home cinema feel.

The speakers need to be ~1-2ft from the wall and I will sit ~ 10-15ft away from it.
My amp is currently a AVR3313

Anyone who have tried them with similar music like these tracks and have any comments on it?
Even if it's bass in the tracks I don't want to take over.

Spiritual Machines - Soft Spot

--

Spiritual Machines - Lost

--

David Moufang - Sergio Leones Wet Dream

--

Minilogue - Nor Coming Nor Going

--

Solid Gold Playaz - Next to Me

Can drop tracks all day! :)

Best,

J

Edit 2022-01-16 19:04: Changed measurement between speakers :)

Last edited:

Moonhead

Have you considered some active speakers/monitors, they could pair nice with your Denon.

OP
M

mindcruncher

Have you considered some active speakers/monitors, they could pair nice with your Denon.

Not really. Don't they have built in amps that can affect the sound and need more cables?

And for me, they have to kind of look good :)

Do you have any suggestions?

Moonhead

You could go for Genelec, Neumann, Focal or even Dynaudio Lyd series. Kali In8 could be an option to if you can handle the design.

Connect the studio monitors using RCAs from the pre-outs on the receiver. Higher-end receivers will have RCA “pre-outs” for the different channels. A pre-out acts as an audio passthrough and does not send any extra power through this output. This ensures that the studio monitor is not damaged by any extra power being input to it. This is by far the best way to connect studio monitors to a receiver!

Streamc

Heard them with Iron Maiden 2006 and Rotel 1572. Do not like them. Mess. Some treble were good. But overall is mess.

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I suggest you have a look at some of the speaker reviews here: very educative and perhaps you find a good measuring speaker within your price range and with adequate looks as an alternative to the Dynaudio Evoke.

audio2920

ASR doesn't have a lot of love for Dynaudio in general as they don't tend to measure well; so you'll likely be advised to look elsewhere. Personally, I do like Dynaudio :) even if I buy them knowing they have certain flaws. Search the reviews for examples, but the Evoke itself isn't on here AFAIK.

Your listening distance should work fine for the Evoke 10 and the rear porting really isn't likely to cause an issue unless you squash them an inch from the wall.

Harman group products like JBL and Revel tend to be the go-to. If you're in the US they undeniably offer great bang per buck. Outside the US I think they can be less of a slam dunk at any given price point.

Maybe JBL HDI-1600 could work for you though if you do want a passive speaker.

YSC

Major Contributor
any reason you need to put the speakers 1-2 ft from the wall while you only have 2-3 ft of space between you and the speaker? disregarding how dynaudio generally don't measure well within their price range issue they are fine objectively and if you like the look and wanted to use integrated amp it should be fine

OP
M

mindcruncher

any reason you need to put the speakers 1-2 ft from the wall while you only have 2-3 ft of space between you and the speaker? disregarding how dynaudio generally don't measure well within their price range issue they are fine objectively and if you like the look and wanted to use integrated amp it should be fine

Sorry. My bad. I changed the measurement. First I thought about feet than meters :)

So measurement are 1-2 ft from the wall and will listen approx 10-15ft from it.

Ping @audio2920

audio2920

Hmm... 15ft could be pushing it for the 10, but I'd probably be happy with that setup for most music.

I should say I've not used the Evoke 10 but have heard a lot of other dynaudio products. (I nearly bought some Evoke 20s but it was back when nothing was in stock so I gave up and went in a totally different direction.)

As with most compact speakers, sensitivity is a little low at 84dB, which means they'll likely need a decent amp, but the Denon should deliver enough.

As it goes, one thing Dynaudio passive speakers do seem pretty decent at in my experience is SPL/transient capability, despite modest sensitivity and power handling figures.

If you like to listen loud you might want to consider something bigger? At 15ft you could run in to some power compression if you crank the level up, but like I say, personally, I tend not to listen to music *that* loud.

Sorry it's not a more definitive answer!!

OP
M

mindcruncher

If you like to listen loud you might want to consider something bigger? At 15ft you could run in to some power compression if you crank the level up, but like I say, personally, I tend not to listen to music *that* loud.
Play loud are note necessary, prefer that it plays without getting "muddy" on lower volumes.

If I want a louder experience I use my headphones, it's also nicer for my neighbours! :)

Can also add that my budget is about €1500+speaker stands

audio2920

Cool, well the Evoke is probably perfectly good. And they do look great!!

Not to throw you off course, but just so you know; other standmount speakers that meet your criteria and have been "recommended" by Amir include:

- JBL HDI1600 (probably a bit over budget unless you can get a good deal locally)

- Focal Aria 906

- KEF R3

Lastly, if you want a total curveball, have you seen the Wharfedale Evo 4.4? It's a floorstander so probably not something you're interested in. These have *not* been reviewed on ASR either, so it's not a recommendation from either this forum or me. I just saw them in a shop and thought "huh, they look kinda nice!" I suspect they sound good, but I didn't get to try them, so I've no idea.

OP
M

mindcruncher

Not to throw you off course, but just so you know; other standmount speakers that meet your criteria and have been "recommended" by Amir
Sorry. Since i'm new to the forums, who is Amir? :)

- JBL HDI1600 (probably a bit over budget unless you can get a good deal locally)

- Focal Aria 906

- KEF R3

Thanks for tips!

HDI1600 looks really good and the KEF's is on sale in one webshop i've looked in and are about €300 cheaper now. But has a different look, not sure how I feel about that at the moment.

Wharfdale also looks good, but seems kind of big and big speaker are bad for smaller rooms, or?

audio2920

But has a different look
Haha, that's a very polite way of putting it! I don't like the look but some people love them.

Wharfdale also looks good, but seems kind of big and big speaker are bad for smaller rooms, or?

At 15ft I wouldn't have thought they'd be too big.

IMHO it's not totally inaccurate that big speakers can be difficult, it's just the *primary* reason this is so is simply the frequency response. The more bass extension (and level, to some extent) you have from the speaker, the more it will reveal problems with the room. The smaller the room, the more problems it tends to have in low frequency.

Out of interest, what speakers are you currently using and are there any specific issues you want to solve in the upgrade?

audio2920

Since i'm new to the forums, who is Amir?
Sorry forgot to say, Amir is the owner of this forum.

He owns a scanner he uses to generate data and posts the results, often along with listening tests, in the speakers section.

Also just found he did review the Wharfedale Evo 4.1, and it only looks OK, not great:

FWIW the Evoke may or may not do better than this when looking at data alone.

Obviously it may not be representative of the 4.4 either. Often manufacturers make a speaker design and then compromise it to make different models to fit market segments, so sometimes one model is great and the others miss the mark. I've no way of knowing anything specific about the 4.4.

OP
M

mindcruncher

Out of interest, what speakers are you currently using and are there any specific issues you want to solve in the upgrade?

Today I have 5.1 with B&W M-1 as front,back and center. I also have an older XTZ 10.17 Subwoofer that I bought when I had other needs / interests. It's maybe not the best match, but i've been too lazy (or cheap) to replace it.

I want to go stereo, less cables and even if I love watching movies and play games on my console I don't really care about surround-sound. I want good sound if you understand what I mean! :)

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I got my eyes on Dynaudio Evoke 10, but havent find any comments how they goes with electronic music like Deep house, ambient and deep dubby techno.
I know well the Evoke line IRL (from 10 to 50, and personally owned the 20) and these will sure be a great choice for electro. They show decent extension and high SPL abilities, considering their size. Yet, these are very difficult speakers to drive (If I remember correctly, sensitivity measured is close to 82-83dB) and I don't see your actual amp giving them justice.
Focal Aria 906
The 906 are good speakers but do not perform well with high SPL, when you will easily get the mids distorted. From my experience, both Evoke 20 and 10 are actually doing a much better job for this purpose (not to mention: tighter, punchier bass, that will become loose with Aria at higher volumes).

The 10 has been measured by Stereo DE:

001683-0.jpg

Last edited:

audio2920

I want to go stereo, less cables and even if I love watching movies and play games on my console I don't really care about surround-sound. I want good sound if you understand what I mean!
Understood! I've totally been there. Surround sound can be good fun but stereo is fine and unless you're building a dedicate HT, in some rooms the whole cabling and positioning the surrounds is just a nightmare.

I know well the Evoke line IRL
Good to have real life experience of them!

audio2920

I don't suppose @VintageFlanker is wrong, but you could get the Evokes and use them with 3133, then look to buy a separate stereo amp at a later date?

You might find it sounds fine to you, as AVRs go, it's not weak.

Personally I've been converted (after a fairly prolonged period of skepticism) to Hypex based amps. Google it :)

The ASR reviews might help. I actually think there's greater correlation between amp review data and their performance than with speakers. Like, there's less complexity; the way acoustic traits of speakers interact is highly complex. I think even Amir had said words to the effect of: We don't know what we don't know when it comes to speakers. (Many people seem disagree, but if the guy spending his valuable time doing the measurements and listening tests says it sometimes, I'm inclined to go with it!) But anyway, with amps I think there's less unknowns.

I still believe money and time is best spent getting the right speaker than the right amp, as they absolutely dictate the character of the system more than anything else in the chain (assuming nothing is of outright terrible quality of course!) BUT I have recently swapped out all my studio and HT amps to Hypex and found greater quality gains than I expected... so.... :) :)

Top Bottom