• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dynaudio Evoke 10 advice

yuriusu

Gentlemen, I could use some help.
Would Dynaudio Evoke 10's paired with the 25C center be a good choice for movies and music listening?
I plan to buy a Denon X3700H or similar avr and the said speakers as a start and build around with time.
I have to say I fell in love with the look of the white Evokes instantly. They will strain my budget but I plan on keeping them for years to come so I can justify the price, or so I tell myself :).
Anyway, I would welcome any and all advice and suggestions.
Thank you in advace for taking the time to respond and have a good day!

OP
Y

yuriusu

I would ditch the center and go for the Evoke 20's with the Dynaudio stand 10 speakerstand.
Hmm, so go bigger for the L&R and get the rest down the line? An interesting suggestion, thank you. Would the 20's be that much of an upgrade to justify not getting the centre right away? Also, would the Denon X3700 be enough to power them, I heard Dynaudio's like power.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Take the smallest one, since it's a speaker without waveguide. The greater the woofer/tweeter size difference, the bigger the directivity mismatch (generally speaking, different crossovers can mitigate this, but at the expense of other characteristics).

OP
Y

yuriusu

Take the smallest one, since it's a speaker without waveguide. The greater the woofer/tweeter size difference, the bigger the directivity mismatch (generally speaking, different crossovers can mitigate this, but at the expense of other characteristics).
I am not sure if I understood you correctly, do you mean the woofer/tweeter size difference compared to the center?

Desmo

With the Evoke 20's you will get more low end for movies and a overal bigger sound in my opinion.
But it also depends on your music taste. The Evoke 20's are a little bass heavy. But you can tune them with port plugs.

Looks to me they do have a waveguide because the tweeter is recessed in the housing?

The power of the Denon X3700H will be fine.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
With the Evoke 20's you will get more low end for movies and a overal bigger sound in my opinion.
But it also depends on your music taste. The Evoke 20's are a little bass heavy. But you can tune them with port plugs.

Looks to me they do have a waveguide because the tweeter is recessed in the housing?

Not a "real" waveguide that can control directivity down to the crossover wavelengths.

OP
Y

yuriusu

Since the Evokes are fairly pricey would buying similarly priced full tower perhaps be a better solution?

Desmo

I guess it depends in which part of the world you live and what brands are available?

Not a full tower but similarly priced and recommended are the Buchardt S400.

OP
Y

yuriusu

I guess it depends in which part of the world you live and what brands are available?

Not a full tower but similarly priced and recommended are the Buchardt S400.
Hey I was just watching some reviews of the S400's :). I'm in the EU btw. They also look awesome and have great reviews but it looks like they are even harder to drive? Would the X3700 be enough?And they don't have a matching center, as I understand the center is "essential" for the clarity of the vocals in movies, or so the home theatre guys made me believe.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Having listened to the Evoke 20 (but not the 10), I agree with you.

@VintageFlanker will answer OP better than me, he listened to the whole range ;-)

OP
Y

yuriusu

As the above poster said, location matters. If you are in the US, new Dynaudio are not really worth the price IMHO. Here is a quick comparison between some Revel M16s and Dynaudio 10s I made. (And I see the irony of mentioning Revel, which is more expensive in Europe.)

View attachment 118242

As you can see, they are quite comparable in terms of bass extension. Pretty impressive. But I was able to get the M16s for about half the price of the Evoke 10s. However, importantly, distortion is not comparable, with the smaller woofer-based Evoke 10s showing more distortion. Because of this I agree with others saying that if you are settled on the Evoke line, just for for the larger 20s.

Also note that these Dynaudio speakers are not voiced neutrally like the Revels. (See above.) As I learned more about audio this became important to me. However, DSP can take care of this.

(I also had the white Evokes. Absolutely gorgeous speakers. My white M16s are *almost* as nice looking.)
Hi, first of all I wish to thank you for taking the time to respond, it helps a lot because I'm fairly new at this level of audio. I'm in the EU. I just checked, the Revel's are 1200€ or 1428$ a pair here in my local shop. The Evoke 10's are 1393€ or 1607$ a pair. It's not that I am dead set on the Evoke's, I mean I do love them, but the wife approval level is pretty high on those too :D. The Buchardt S400 are also an option but they dont have a matching center and are even more expensive :).

Desmo

The Buchardt have a sensitivity of 88db. That's not to bad but they don't state how it is measured.

The recommended power is 40 - 200 watt. So you should be good.

I always watch movies without a center speaker and I never felt the movie would be better with a center.
I would start without a center speaker and see if you like it or not.

OP
Y

yuriusu

The Buchardt have a sensitivity of 88db. That's not to bad but they don't state how it is measured.

The recommended power is 40 - 200 watt. So you should be good.

I always watch movies without a center speaker and I never felt the movie would be better with a center.
I would start without a center speaker and see if you like it or not.
Really? That is really comforting to hear. If I ditch the center I can even get the Buchard's. Would they be a good improvement over the Evoke's? Do you get really clear vocals in a movie when you watch on your stereo setup without the center? That is what I am afraid off. I've really only ever had good audio from headphones, I have Sennheisers HD660's with a dac/amp and I use them for everything, music, movies and all other content. I could never get such clear audio from the subpar speakers I own at the moment. But now I've decided to really step up my speaker game, that is why I am asking you guys for help since you have immesureably more experience than me.

Desmo

I don't own the Buchardt S400 so I don't know how clear the vocals are with movies.

It is a popular speaker so I think you will get al lot of feedback when you do a google search on the topic.

OP
Y

yuriusu

I don't own the Buchardt S400 so I don't know how clear the vocals are with movies.

It is a popular speaker so I think you will get al lot of feedback when you do a google search on the topic.
I meant your system as you said you use only front left and right. I'm googling I'm googling trust me :). Just hoped to get a fresh take and opinion from people how know their stuff and are willing to help. Thank you Desmo.

Desmo

My vocals are pretty clear. But my speakers are setup next to my TV and my speakers are a bit on the
bright side. That helps with the vocals but it will always be a trade of.

Top Bottom