• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dynaudio Emit M10 Review (bookshelf speaker)

gasolin75

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I wouldn't buy this speaker for myself as there are cheaper speakers with much more balanced tonality. So can't recommend the Emit M10.

Which speakers ?

gasolin75

There is no need to buy M10 if you can buy Emit M20

That was the conclusion I wouldn't buy this speaker for myself as there are cheaper speakers with much more balanced tonality. So can't recommend the Emit M10.

Xyrium

Forum Donor
I wouldn't buy this speaker for myself as there are cheaper speakers with much more balanced tonality. So can't recommend the Emit M10.

Which speakers ?

You can find the speaker reviews in the associated forum, but I would think the Elac DBR line is potentially better. Only you can decide what your preferences are, however. Ie: Ruler flat response but high distortion, excellent vertical dispersion but directivity errors...

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-debut-reference-dbr-62-speaker-review.12232/

snaimpally

These do not appear to have been manufactured in house. Instead, the serial plate says “Made in China.”

I am unsure, too, if Dynaudio makes all of its drivers in-house. Their drivers used to be made in two places, Denmark or Israel (contracted out to Morel). Don’t know if they are contracting driver manufacture out to China these days.

Dynaudio was purchased by a Chinese company in 2014 so I think the owner/parent company (Goertek) does some of the manufacturing in China.

snaimpally

I don't have a strong sense of whether this speaker is or isn't a good value at $800 the pair, but it seems to me that there is a lot to like about it. In particular, distortion is a lot lower than it is with most all other small speakers this size. The tweeter is exceptionally clean, and even the woofer holds up fairly well, compared to most of the other speakers we've seen with woofers this small. We do of course see some mild distortion peaks below 500 Hz, but at the more reasonable volume level of 86 dB at 1 meter you don't seem them at all. By comparison, with many other small speakers, distortion at 96 dB is practically through the roof starting just below 500 Hz. The biggest wart that I see is in the uneven directivity, but I could live with that. As for the rise in response at higher frequency, the tweeter's response is exceptionally smooth, so if the speakers sounds bright, all that would be needed to correct the brightness would be to pad the tweeter by -2 dB to maybe -3 dB. This is a trivial thing to do and should take care of it. The response above 10 kHz would droop as a result, but thus wouldn't bother me in the least. Off the top of my head I don't recall many speakers at lower cost that don't have bigger warts.

The EM10 got several very positive reviews (e.g., What HiFi, Steve Guttenberg) so it must be doing a few things right.

rockgoby

I have a pair of these paired with a modest sized sub (MJ Acoustics Pro 50 Mk II) and they sound great (especially considering the far from ideal limitations I have on placement – about 1m in front of me, against a large window). Without a sub, they do sound a little ‘thin’, but once you’ve filled in the lower frequencies, they really do shine.
Look like some pretty nicely designed drivers - especially the tweeter.
Dynaudio is a world class driver manufacturer so that shows here IMHO.
$800 USD a pair is a bit steep compared to the competition, to be said you are getting some good in house manufacturing.
In Europe these cost less.
Can't say I would buy these, however paired with a subwoofer (or ideally 2) to fill in the lows (crossed at 80-110hz) and an HP to clean up that small woofer I think one would have a pretty tight system that while not "punching out" of their price class are perfectly legit.

I certainly also wonder about those overly simple filters they use as well. I guess that is a thing they believe in. Some folks claim to hear things that 1st order gets right that other designs fail to present. Who knows? Right now it is what it is and Dyn uses those style filters in their expensive stuff as well - although those high end Dyn drivers usually have pretty good natural roll offs so the acoustic slopes are often 2nd order or even more.
I have a pair of these paired with a modest sized sub (MJ Acoustics Pro 50 Mk II) and they sound great (especially considering the far from ideal limitations I have on placement – about 1m in front of me, against a large window). Without a sub, they do sound a little ‘thin’, but once you’ve filled in the lower frequencies, they really do shine.

whyfi

I auditioned these at my local shop because the salesman was raving about them and suggested I get these instead of Focal 806 or 906 which were on the floor. I was not impressed. Moving around to find a sweet spot helped and improved the imaging in the demo track so it was closer to but nowhere near as nice as the same track from the Focal 806 or 906 which both sounded in a different league. I had him put on a jazz track I listen to frequently and again, I was not impressed. There was just a dullness and lack of detail that made me think "meh". Perhaps the room was a problem. Maybe the sweet spot is small. Anyway, I'll likely end up getting the Focals.

generg

I owe a pair of M10 since two months and I see their potential. Indeed the medium area seems recessed. So I switched the tweeter polarity and the medium area came on the same level with the bass and the treble. Astonishing, I like it much more now!
One reviewer on youtube said the M10 to have a V curve presentation. This is gone now.
If you want to try it, take care of the tweeter dome, it is sooooo delicate as you all know.

yodog

I owe a pair of M10 since two months and I see their potential. Indeed the medium area seems recessed. So I switched the tweeter polarity and the medium area came on the same level with the bass and the treble. Astonishing, I like it much more now!
One reviewer on youtube said the M10 to have a V curve presentation. This is gone now.
If you want to try it, take care of the tweeter dome, it is sooooo delicate as you all know.

Is this regarding the most recent refresh of the m10 with the beveled corners/edges? I had the boxy version just prior and felt the sound from them were amazing in anything but an extremely large room.

generg

I heard the new Emit 10 also in comparison to the M10. The new version Emit 10 has no recessed medium area at all.
I think my old M10 come nearer to the new one with the changed polarity.
Would be interesting to see the tweeter polarity in both versions and of course the crossovers.

warpdrive

I heard the new Emit 10 also in comparison to the M10. The new version Emit 10 has no recessed medium area at all.
I think my old M10 come nearer to the new one with the changed polarity.
Would be interesting to see the tweeter polarity in both versions and of course the crossovers.

Yes, I would really like to see the measurements of the new Emit 10 to compare. I was confused I was searching for Emit 10 but google gave me Emit M10

(old model) Emit M10 ---> Emit 10 (new model)

It looks like they refined the entire model line using the new facilities

The entire Emit family has been put through its paces in our world-class Jupiter measuring facility at Dynaudio Labs. We treat it exactly the same as we do every other speaker in our range: no stone left unturned.

dynaudioemit10_black_01.jpg

generg

Yeah, this sounds great! When I heard them here,I found the sound a bit too bright for my taste, especially on sax.
Nevertheless there are reviews here in Germany that see this new Emit 10 on the first place with compact speakers.
Only problem the Intermodulation distortion seems to rise fairly early.
So they are only suited for small rooms, they say.

Zaiden

Hi generg,

I am also looking to find modifications on the M10 that can establish greater mid-presence.

Would you be able to direct me to a guide that can help explain how I can switch tweeter polarity?

And do you think swapping the Bennic capacitor for Mundorf Supreme Evo Oil caps would also help address this issue?

Kindest Regards

Zaiden

dfuller

Major Contributor
Would you be able to direct me to a guide that can help explain how I can switch tweeter polarity?
Swap the wires that connect to the tweeter for one another. You have now inverted its polarity.

And do you think swapping the Bennic capacitor for Mundorf Supreme Evo Oil caps would also help address this issue?
LOL absolutely not. Caps don't matter.

generg

Hi generg,

I am also looking to find modifications on the M10 that can establish greater mid-presence.

Kindest Regards

Zaiden
Hi Zaiden,

as dfuller wrote, there is not much to do.....
unscrew the woofer, put it aside, there is no problem with the terminals to confound, because the connectors have different shapes. To loosen the connectors there are very small pins you must press to loosen them, otherwise you pull and pull and pull and nothing happens....
:--))

Then unscrew the tweeter.... you must be so careful.... the dome once damaged is nearly not to put back in the same shape by no method. Here In Germany I paid 130.-€ for a new one at Dynaudio. Maybe you find a way to put something around the dome that covers him in a secure way.

When the tweeter is out of the case, look at the cables here you have no different connectors, but on the case is the + and - mark. the cable colors white-blue go the + connector and the totally blue to the - connector.
Change the cables, here you must press a very small nose on the cable connector also, to get them rid of the tweeter.

Make the change first to one speaker only and compare it to the normal one. The changed one should sound brighter.
If you like the change make the second one, if not go back the original connecting.

best regards

Gerd

Zaiden

Hi Zaiden,

as dfuller wrote, there is not much to do.....
unscrew the woofer, put it aside, there is no problem with the terminals to confound, because the connectors have different shapes. To loosen the connectors there are very small pins you must press to loosen them, otherwise you pull and pull and pull and nothing happens....
:--))

Then unscrew the tweeter.... you must be so careful.... the dome once damaged is nearly not to put back in the same shape by no method. Here In Germany I paid 130.-€ for a new one at Dynaudio. Maybe you find a way to put something around the dome that covers him in a secure way.

When the tweeter is out of the case, look at the cables here you have no different connectors, but on the case is the + and - mark. the cable colors white-blue go the + connector and the totally blue to the - connector.
Change the cables, here you must press a very small nose on the cable connector also, to get them rid of the tweeter.

Make the change first to one speaker only and compare it to the normal one. The changed one should sound brighter.
If you like the change make the second one, if not go back the original connecting.

best regards

Gerd

I made the change tonight.

I didn't expect there to be any change, but the midrange has legitimately been brought out more.

I still think I'll eventually want to move up from the Dynaudio Emit M10s. I think I still want some more vocal presence and less bass. So looking where DIY gets me on these Tannoy driver projects.

Thanks!

Last edited:

generg

Good you did it! So I am no more alone with my impression. Dynaudio seems to have decided for the dark side with the M series. The new Emits without M really sound much brighter.

Zaiden

Good you did it! So I am no more alone with my impression. Dynaudio seems to have decided for the dark side with the M series. The new Emits without M really sound much brighter.

Been living with these speakers for a few days now.

I must say, it's been a complete game changer for me. I was somewhat dissatisfied with the lower subbass register hump overriding the midrange.

But after the change you recommended it does sound brighter/more detailed/opened up. I have no qualms anymore and where I was looking to upgrade speakers before, I think I'll stick with these Emit M10s for the time being.

What I did was to push out the tweeter from underneath, after pulling out the bass woofer, meaning I never made contact with the dome.

The clips were easy to unplug and replug as you directed me to.

Do you have any speculation as to why there's such a difference? I have a friend who does Electrical Engineering at university, and he told me he was surprised it made such a difference because he couldn't think of a reason why.

Last edited:
Top Bottom