• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dynaudio Emit M10 Review (bookshelf speaker)

generg

Happy to hear this...

I looked inside and when I am right, the woofer has only a coil means 6dB filter and the tweeter has a cap and a coil, so I suppose 12dB.
Normally the cooking book says that 6dB filters on both sides demand no polarity change, and 12dB on both units demand to switch polarity of one of the units.
So with this mixture of 6 and 12dB, the phase correspondence might be not so compelling for the one or other.
I seems Dynaudio decided for the way the speakers have a small valley around 1.4kHz. This makes more panorama.....
Or in Chinese production was a fault....
:--))

Do not know and I am no expert.

Zaiden

Happy to hear this...

I looked inside and when I am right, the woofer has only a coil means 6dB filter and the tweeter has a cap and a coil, so I suppose 12dB.
Normally the cooking book says that 6dB filters on both sides demand no polarity change, and 12dB on both units demand to switch polarity of one of the units.
So with this mixture of 6 and 12dB, the phase correspondence might be not so compelling for the one or other.
I seems Dynaudio decided for the way the speakers have a small valley around 1.4kHz. This makes more panorama.....
Or in Chinese production was a fault....
:--))

Do not know and I am no expert.

If the tweeter polarity is reversed, would the tweeter sound become 180 degrees out of phase/upside down?

And if that's the case, should I switch around the tweeter orientation 180 degrees?

Zaiden

Yeah I just flipped my speaker upside down. The tweeter now sounds more correct, if that even makes sense.

I think I'll drill new holes to screw in the tweeter in a 180 degree orientation from its previous spot.

The more open midrange/brighter sound is definitely welcome. But I was getting bugged by something and I think this was it.

Zaiden

Okay, I flipped the reversed polarity tweeter upside down. Drilled new holes into the Dynaudio Emit M10 for the tweeter.

Holy smokes. This is it. No more feeling bugged. Perfectly balanced frequency response, without this weird sense of the treble output being upside down.

And it's retained the previous desired change, essentially becoming a midrange focused speaker, with airier top end, while still having a lush, colourful bass that isn't overriding the frequency response anymore.

As someone who loves their vocals/midrange, this is definitely a huge huge upgrade on how the speakers were before, where the vocals/midrange was being subdued by the V shape.

generg

Ha, ha, funny idea!
If you like it more this way, why not.
I know too less about beaming and waterfall pattern.
Normally I would say the way the tweeter is mounted is not important.

Zaiden

Ha, ha, funny idea!
If you like it more this way, why not.
I know too less about beaming and waterfall pattern.
Normally I would say the way the tweeter is mounted is not important.

The way I'd describe it is that the top end of the treble shared a dispersion area similar to the upper end of the woofer, and the sound could get raspy at times like the treble/mid and upper bass were crunching a bit.

Flipping the tweeter 180 degrees resolved that.

Top Bottom